Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2016, 22:30   #1

Long-term parking in Florida Marinas

If I purchase a boat in Florida (or anywhere on the East Coast), I am thinking it will require 1-2 months in repairs or more. I am thinking about buying a $500-$800 junker off craigslist that works. It would be far cheaper than renting.

If Miami or anywhere in South Florida became my home base, could I leave a car, junker or nice, at Marinas while saying for awhile. Or do I need to find long-term parking or street parking?

How have others handled this?
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 23:32   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Long-term parking in Florida Marinas

In general you get a parking space if you have a boat at the marina.
Can't think of any exceptions to the rule..
Old 24-02-2016, 23:37   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Interesting idea, I'll be curious to hear some of the offered up solutions. Though I'm curious why you're thinking that you couldn't keep your car at a marina where you're staying? Care to extrapolate, please?

If that doesn't work, then there's the option of finding somewhere else to park it. And I know that when I lived aboard, while on a mooring in San Diego, parking my (older, semi beat up) car, nearby wasn't a problem.

Plus, there's probably the option of finding somewhere near your boat to park it, even if you have to move it a short distance every few days.
Be said parking areas within walking distance, or if it requires you to get to it via a bike, or public transport.

The bike option's a pretty easy one, & has served me well for decades. Plus, it just works, especially if you have quick release hubs on the wheels, so that it's easy to stow the bike in the car, while you're driving.
Just "ugly up" the bike fairly well, & get a decent lock for it. That, & carry; a tire patch kit, pump, & small repair kit, when you're using it.

One other idea, is to try contacting Tom Neale, who's an author that raised his family while cruising in the Caribbean & E. Coast. - They migrated seasonally, so as to optimize their locale for temperature, & hurricanes, etc... plus sometimes, simply when they found a good spot to call home for a while.

And as I recall it, they had some "interesting" strategies for "storing" their (cheap) car, when they were out of the country/area for decent periods of time.
I read about it in this book http://www.amazon.com/All-Same-Boat-...ords=tom+neale

And if he's tough to find, via the internet, or his publisher, etc. Odds are Cruising World magazine may have a POC for him, as he did a lot of articles for them as well. And may still do so.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 21:01   #4

Let me clarify, I didn't state it properly. I assume I can park at the marina while I am there.

Can I park at the Marina then go cruise up north or the Caribbean for 3 months?
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 21:14   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Some marinas may have excess parking out of "season".
Negotiate with the manager. $100 per month may do it.
Or look at Craig's list, park in the corner of a warehouse, in an
RV park, whatever.
Old 25-02-2016, 21:43   #6
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

Its not that easy in Miami. Parking is a premium, several marinas are short of , some have none. Street parking is time limited in some places.
I pay 150 a month at a bank one block away, that's considered cheap and there's a waiting list.
You'll do better leaving the car away from the shore

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-02-2016, 05:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
Can I park at the Marina then go cruise up north or the Caribbean for 3 months?
Generally speaking, no. At least, not for free.

Of course, if you keep--and continue to pay for--your dock space during those three months, then they will be glad to let you park. Some might think that would be a crazy option, but many marinas in Florida have waiting lists; some of them rather long. So there are people who pay for dock space all year around just so that they know they'll have some place to come back to when they return.

And then, as CSYMan mentioned, if they have enough parking space some will let you pay just to park, without keeping a slip in your name.

In general, the Dade/Broward area is going to be the most expensive, with the least available parking options, of anywhere in Florida. If money is a concern, you would do better farther north, or on the west coast.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, marinas