Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Number one reason you have not sailed away yet??
Money 94 40.52%
Kids too young or dont want to go 20 8.62%
Spouse says: NO WAY 20 8.62%
Career plans in the way 30 12.93%
Cannot sell house to pay for it 7 3.02%
Fear of unknown 3 1.29%
Other 58 25.00%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2008, 12:48   #61

Boat: Eric Cox offshore 40ft cutter rigged sloop. named "Searcher" built 1965
Those 4 lettered words comes in again and again, work-time-cash etc.
I'm having problems getting enough income in Nelson NZ to get closer to taking off.
I've just fitted the latest Icom 802 SSB radio, upgraded my radar to an 1830 24ml.
Need new UV strip on genoa and sail cover for main. $$$
May have to go to Aus and hopefully bankroll what I realy want to do.
Sail away.....It's going to happen. Take care out there guys..Paul.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 12:55   #62
cruiser

(other)

First boat was too expensive with no acceptable way to pay her loan. We discovered we didn't like traditional chartering with liveaboard guests in our home, since some were violent and destructive of the boat and people aboard.

Got a new boat, which will be used for day charters until she's paid off and we have a nice cruising kitty built up. That way, we have the option of living on land or sea, depending on how things go chartering to pay this one off. No more overnight guests. Plus, I'll be doing the chartering while the wife works a land job. 2x the income = 2x the speed to freedom.

5 year plan? Maybe. We'll see how revenues are.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 21:37   #63

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
(Other)

Currently in college on a scholarship. Despite my complete disgust with the educational system, I'd rather not give up the free ride and be sorry for it later. Plus, it might come in handy if I ever want to move to another country.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 22:27   #64

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
This might be news to most potential cruisers, but a majority of those we meet cruising are actualy not doing it full time, ie they have not actually cut the ties.

Sure, they at some time sailed over the horizon, but they often spend lots of time back 'home'.

JOHN
Old 10-03-2008, 19:08   #65
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Great survey and topic. It's nice to hear all of your reasons to not be gone. It makes me feel not alone. I've been reading Cruising World for the last 20 years and am getting kind of sick of not doing anything about it.

But, I did promise a woman I'd be with her 17 years ago, had two children who are in school and we are not cut out to be home schoolers and blah blah blah.

Last year I'd had enough. So I've set a cast off date of June 2012. I want to buy my boat a year before and position it where I want to start the cruise which is the Med. My son will be out of high school at that point. Right now he wants to go with me but who can tell with kids. I'm willing to travel a large portion of the trip with friends, hire out help, or whatever it takes. My wifes not a real sea-going woman. Idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn, so she'll join when coastal cruising "cool" areas for her. But I don't care as long as I don't have to show up at my desk anymore.
Great forum, thanks all for sharing.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 19:11   #66

Well, money is the prime, second is the children (2 under 4 yo), both will come into fruition, at almost the same time. Spouse says YES, no problem there. F the house and the career.(except the career will pay for the dream, GRRRRR WORK!)
In the mean time, how to get the fix.................., the big question.
Old 21-03-2008, 06:50   #67

Boat: Beneteau 36
Group :

The Admiral & I have a very nice Beneteau 361 & are planning to get a B423 (gotta be comfy !!!) to head away with in the next few years. We have successful careers and we are both now 51.

She can retire with a very nice pention in 6yrs (I really love that woman)...I have a mortgage brokerage business and a 2000sq ft office building to sell to be able to retire.

I voted in the "career's in the way" category due to the obvious.

The idea of selling everything to sail away to Pango-pango so we can survive on coconuts & fish is not for us...perhaps someday I'll write a book called "Cruising to Walmart".

The trip from the Great Lakes down to the Bahamas & back...and then cruising the east coast (Martha's Vinyard, etc...) & then perhaps down the thorny path is plenty of adventure for us.

What I've done that's likely different from many of you here (I suspect) was to buy a very nice "canal front" residential building lot (160' X 150'...with Lake St Clair access) in a development for the land speculative value.

Our challenges to be dealt with are...

1) Sell our home & buy a smaller one (& downsize all our "STUFF")
2) Sell my business & sell my office building.
3) Build a nice dock at the property we now own
4) Trade our B361 for the B423 we really want
5) Outfit the new B423 (full enclosure, davits, generator, etc...)

Then point the bow south in August 2015...

For those of you that care...the Jim Morris song "Wherever the wind blows" just sums it up for the wife & I...(perhaps for you too !!)

Have a listen here... Some Nights You Never Go Home - Jim Morris
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 06:56   #68

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
I am getting closer. Have miltary retirement, trying to sell some property (slow) and have to finish up some family stuff, hoping to head south this fall/winter.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 00:06   #69

Boat: Prout Escale 39ft -Aramanta
Voted "Other",

Youngest finshed Uni last year, started her first job in February. Project that I am on in Malaysia will throw me out in May 2008 (hopefully). House sold. Boat is just waiting for us to put her back in the water.

Then off................

John
Aramanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 21:33   #70

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I voted for Other.

About five years ago I was refocused on what I wanted to do, which was sail around the world. I let life and a first marrage side track me from doing this a long time ago, but when I found myself all alone (no wife, kids or girl friend), I decided to get back to the roots of the dream.

I wasn't interested in hooking up with another woman for long term, unless she wanted to do what I wanted to do, as much as I wanted to do it, and had something to bring to the table besides desire.

Wouldn't you know it, I met a woman. She was getting ready to retire from GM after 35 years of work in Michigan, wanted to share the dream, and had something to bring to the table.

We got married, she moved out to San Deigo where I lived, and we started working on the dream. We took lots of courses through our local Power Squadron, found our boat, and were off and running. The boat was in San Francisco, so after we bought it I preceeded to refit the boat to our liking before bringing her down to San Diego. The big day came to bring her down with two other people, but the wife couldn't come as she was holding down the home front from a late breaking development.

We got the boat to San Diego with no problems, and then the wife an I began using the boat together. That was when I found out that she had a visual perception problem (things looked closer than they were), and was afraid of the ocean! I spent many, many outings trying to calm her fears, staying in the bay where conditions were the calmest, and trying to get her to pilot the boat. I hired a Captain for personalized training, and that helped some, but her progress has been painfully slow at times. I talked to a friend that went through that samething with his wife, and after 10 years she finally started feeling comfortable in the ocean. !0 years...Yikes!...I could be dead in 10 years if it takes my wife that long.

Now I have come to the sad conclusion that I will not be exploring the south pacific, and probably not even making a passage to Hawaii, but will most likely be confined to coastal cruising...unless I run away from home!

My suggestion to any person that wants to make the dream happen with a significant other, is that a through interviewing be conducted before committing...and that includes sea trials!
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 21:45   #71

I put Other but I guess I could have put Money. I just have to finish turning all of my stuff into money so the money can be turned into a boat!
Old 31-03-2008, 03:36   #72

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
To JiffyLube: You ARE NOT confined to coastal cruising. Ship the boat across, then call the wife!
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 05:44   #73
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Well you can coastal cruise all the way to Florida, and then down to Venezuela. Start thinking out of the BOX.........BEST WISHES
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 11:55   #74

Boat: Looking with intent
Grew up with Saginaw Bay as my play ground and a last name that speaks of the sea and wandering (Sicilian blood does that you know). Working on the plan to go. Wife is very interested and we are willing to home school the kids. My degree and dual citizenship makes being able to find work somewhat easy (just need to get a few more tools together). So it comes down to building the cash kitty, getting the wife the experience she wants to feel able to handle what comes, getting my health back on an even keel (finishing treatment, recovering/rebuilding the body post thyroid cancer), and finally finding the boat that fits us.

It will happen, the time line is what needs to be set and the pairing down the many unneeded items from our life. Just hoping can still practice once recovered (having some strange side effects that we are working on). Other than that we are heading in the right direction.

On of our crazy Ideas is to be the first family to go around the world non stop (don't know if we will or not but it is an idea). After that point it is go around at least once slow so the kids can see it as they are growing and get a feel of the different cultures of the world. Than probably the Med' as primary base with runs over to the Caribbean (Or stay in the Carib' and summer in the Med' to avoid the main storm season). It all depends on how the dice roll but roll they will and we have a plan and goals that go with them.

So, it is only getting there and have plans for that going into place and functioning.

Michael
Chiroeurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 20:06   #75

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
To JiffyLube: You ARE NOT confined to coastal cruising. Ship the boat across, then call the wife!
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Well you can coastal cruise all the way to Florida, and then down to Venezuela. Start thinking out of the BOX.........BEST WISHES
You have it right...what am I thinking of?!
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote