Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2020, 12:28   #31

Re: Liferaft Storage, no good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We have no raft. If I was going to get one I would consider mounting it to the underside of our arch, under the solar panels. We have a pretty stout arch so that may not work for you. But it does solve a few problems. It’s out of the way, we’ll protected, and in a place where it is easy to deploy. I’ve never seen this done, maybe for good reasons I’m not thinking of.
Let's see.. 6 ft up? and another 4-6 feet down to the ballast center of gravity? You just lost 1200# of righting moment.... in addition to that big arch's ballast degradation...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 13:10   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I will never forget talking to a life raft tech on this very subject. We got to talking about what sort of equipment deteriorated between inspections, to the point that it was no longer functional. He said that he had never seen an example on a raft carried below decks (valise) but had seen quite a few cases, in above-deck installations, whether in a valise or a hard shell. His theory was that there was a good bit of condensate in the hard shells, and maybe other water sources. At the time, I had a 33 foot monohull. My liferaft lived in the front of the quarterberth (other junk behind it) and was not that taxing to get on deck. Never had to use it, thank goodness, but I was always confident that I would have it, if needed.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 13:32   #33

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
I will never forget talking to a life raft tech on this very subject. We got to talking about what sort of equipment deteriorated between inspections, to the point that it was no longer functional. He said that he had never seen an example on a raft carried below decks (valise) but had seen quite a few cases, in above-deck installations, whether in a valise or a hard shell. His theory was that there was a good bit of condensate in the hard shells, and maybe other water sources. At the time, I had a 33 foot monohull. My liferaft lived in the front of the quarterberth (other junk behind it) and was not that taxing to get on deck. Never had to use it, thank goodness, but I was always confident that I would have it, if needed.
Usually they just need to be recertified in regular intervals, throwable duffel types, they unpack, reprovision, inspect, inflate, repack, recharge, certify.
5 to 10 yrs. Switlik Co.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 13:49   #34

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

As with most things sailing, we all have our opinions and they vary considerably. Most are not necessarily incorrect, just different.

I don’t carry a liferaft on the boat when we’re sailing locally. We have an inflatable dink that would see us safe until the local Coastguard can reach us.

On passages my liferaft lives on deck ahead of the dodger, secured using four 8mm SS eyebolts thru-bolted with backing plates and a harness made of automotive seatbelt webbing. A sharp folding boat knife is kept on the raft to simplify deployment.

For those who believe that a wave or even a full roll-over will remove the raft from the deck - dream on. Most other deck equipment will be gone first. And even if it were possible, the painter is secured to the boat so rather than lose the raft, it will simply deploy and under such conditions you’re probably going to need to use it anyway.

For those who believe that manhandling a 37kg (that’s what mine weighs) up from its warm and cosy spot down below, think of how that will be done when you have broken your wrist and your wife has to do it. I know my wife would be incapable. YMMV.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 13:51   #35

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I don't believe the foredeck is a safe place to store a LR,because i lost one in the Coral sea year's ago, it was well strapped down, with thru bolt's holding the strap's, a valice LR is not water proof unless it's vacuum packed, which is a problem, i think one could use a vacuum bag, like a size one could use for blanket's, ect. to keep the LR dry, as far as storage, it would seem your QB is the best place to store, considering your description, you should be able to drag the LR up the companion way, considering it weighs 85 lbs., you could also rig a lanyard to a simple block and tackle that would be stored with the LR, ready to attach to something quickly in the cockpit, and drag it up, when i was Oilfield Diving out of a bell, we had a block and tackle that could be rigged in a moment's notice to drag a unconscious Diver up into the bell, we would practice with this rigg, you could do the same, and figure out how to make it work quickly.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 14:10   #36

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
As with most things sailing, we all have our opinions and they vary considerably. Most are not necessarily incorrect, just different.

I don’t carry a liferaft on the boat when we’re sailing locally. We have an inflatable dink that would see us safe until the local Coastguard can reach us.

On passages my liferaft lives on deck ahead of the dodger, secured using four 8mm SS eyebolts thru-bolted with backing plates and a harness made of automotive seatbelt webbing. A sharp folding boat knife is kept on the raft to simplify deployment.

For those who believe that a wave or even a full roll-over will remove the raft from the deck - dream on. Most other deck equipment will be gone first. And even if it were possible, the painter is secured to the boat so rather than lose the raft, it will simply deploy and under such conditions you’re probably going to need to use it anyway.

For those who believe that manhandling a 37kg (that’s what mine weighs) up from its warm and cosy spot down below, think of how that will be done when you have broken your wrist and your wife has to do it. I know my wife would be incapable. YMMV.

Switlik 22.5 kg https://www.switlik.com/marine/opr?h...8-18124e42f10b
49lbs.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 14:33   #37

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I have a 4 man valise style which I keep below in the head. In my cabin layout the head is aft at the base of the companionway stairs. Outboard of the head is an area semi-enclosed by teak slats and meant for hanging wet oilskins. My valise fits snugly in the spot. It is immediately accessible and fully protected from the elements.
Perhaps you have something similar.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 14:35   #38

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Perhaps some of the newer lightweight rafts can be hauled up easily enough from below by the smallest crew member, but most won't. Personally I wouldn't stow it below - I think it needs to be ready to launch on deck whenever at sea. YMMV.

I don't think you should limit your options by what you have. Most liferaft manufacturers offer both valise and canister packaging, so why not contact them for the price of a canister with rack? Then have a repack to the canister.

My cabin top is just as crowded as yours; actually I think I have even less space. I used 4 large teak blocks with long bolts to mount the rack elevated 3"-4" above the house top, with the lines underneath. The bolts go through from the rack to the inside. One line was in the way so I drilled a hole through the offending teak block for the line to pass through, between the bolts. It has been there on the house top since 1996, with two ocean crossings and too much foul weather with no problems. Admittedly if is time to replace, and when that happens it will go in the same place.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 14:46   #39

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You are crossing oceans maybe 2% of the time.
Since leaving the PNW..100% of my sailing is ocean crossing.

Maybe when I get back to SE Asia I can enjoy some coastal cruising again.
Old 25-04-2020, 14:56   #40

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
you could also rig a lanyard to a simple block and tackle that would be stored with the LR, ready to attach to something quickly in the cockpit, and drag it up, when i was Oilfield Diving out of a bell, we had a block and tackle that could be rigged in a moment's notice to drag a unconscious Diver up into the bell, we would practice with this rigg, you could do the same, and figure out how to make it work quickly.

Great idea. I have a hard top dodger with an aft handrail that would be suitable. Manageable with a broken arm.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 14:58   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I have a 4 man valise style which I keep below in the head. In my cabin layout the head is aft at the base of the companionway stairs. Outboard of the head is an area semi-enclosed by teak slats and meant for hanging wet oilskins. My valise fits snugly in the spot. It is immediately accessible and fully protected from the elements.
Perhaps you have something similar.
No, just the quarter berth.
Old 25-04-2020, 15:03   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I am trying to figure out the best storage location during passages for my 4 man valise liferaft. There seems to be no good place for it. Probably a common problem. I don't really want to spend the money on a different raft.
The valise would drive the decision towards down below or in a cockpit locker. It will not fit in the lazarette. There is no afterdeck. The thing is fairly heavy (85 lbs) and bulky (28 X 16 X 15 inches). I have considered swapping the steel tank for an aluminum scuba tank, but was told that the service people would not do that for certification reasons. It is a tight fit thru the cockpit locker lid and I imagine it would tend to get buried under other stuff in there. Between the weight and the tight fit, I am concerned about being able to pull it out quickly if needed on short notice. Only place down below would be in the quarter berth, which has less tight access but same issues with getting buried as well as now the weight needs to be brought up on deck. Additionally, it is adjacent to the galley and engine room, both likely fire locations which is a likely abandon ship cause. It could go in the V berth, but that would be a straight up free lift out the forward hatch which seems tough.

So I am looking for an on deck location despite the valise. There is no good location for a canister raft either. QaSDThere is no room aft of the mast due to vang, mainsheet traveler, deck hatch and companionway cover. No room forward of the mast either. It could conceivably be forward of the cabin trunk on the foredeck, but that seems a poor choice due to exposure to solid water coming aboard.
The last choice I see is in the cockpit footwell. Quite in the way, but it just fits, quickly accessible, and has the benefit of reducing cockpit volume. I do not have a bridge deck and the sill is low. Lowest washboard is to be secured in place. I would make a little rack to keep it a couple of inches off the floor so water could drain easily. It clears the engine access hatch in the floor. A Sunbrella cover would help keep rain and spray off it. Move it to the foredeck when anchored.
Final choice would be to ditch it, but I do not have a hard dinghy, nor good deck storage space for the dinghy when inflated and blowing up an inflatable on short notice is not a workable solution.

I would be interested in how others have solved this dilemma.
It’s a fact that many small boats can’t correctly mount a raft on deck and must go with a soft pack stowed down below

Probably the most dangerous situation on a boat is Fire

Think about this when stowing your raft below deck
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 15:04   #43

Lots of great opinions from experienced Sailors. Thanks for all the input so far.
Old 25-04-2020, 15:11   #44

Boat: Nauticat 43

Here’s a pic of ours. (Not sure if it is actually attached)

Click image for larger version

Name:	8CBF64E5-B9AF-4F5E-A4FD-06447D6D3E57.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	213693
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 15:17   #45

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrazil View Post
Here’s a pic of ours. (Not sure if it is actually attached)
That looks like my 6-man Lifeguard raft and cradle. Where have you found to re-pack it? No one around the PNW will touch them anymore: not enough were sold to justify staying certified for repacking. Of course elsewhere in the world it is not a problem as litigation is not a problem.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, liferaft