Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 18:42   #1

LATEST PIRATE NEWS

This is the latest from sail-world.com
The Human Cost.
Sail-World.com : The Human Cost - why cruising sailors should avoid pirate zones

Last week the last cruising sailors in the hands of Somali pirates were released. Italian/South African Bruno Pelizzari and South African Deborah Calitz had been in the hands of pirates for 20 months, and their haggard looks on release gave clue to the difficult conditions that they survived. Not all Somali hostage do, and the recently published statistical report paints a harrowing picture.

The Oceans Beyond Piracy (OBP) Human Cost of Piracy 2011 report has revealed some statistics that the yachting community, whose most gung-ho members are still threatening to enter the zone, should take note of.

Summary of the Report:
The report initially assessed crimes committed by pirates in 2011 in what it calls the High Risk Area. According to the report, in 2011 3,683 seafarers were assaulted by pirates during the initial stages of an attack, and 968 seafarers came in close contact with armed pirates aboard their vessels.

Of the 1,206 individuals who were held captive by pirate gangs, 555 were attacked before being taken hostage, and 645 had been captured in 2010 and remained in pirate hands in 2011. And, of these latter hostages, 123 have been held for over one year, and 26 for over two years.

The report continues by revealing that

• 35 hostages died in 2011:
• 8 were killed by pirates during the attack or after being taken captive
• 8 died from disease or malnutrition caused by lack of access to adequate food, water, and
medical aid
• 19 died during rescue efforts by naval vessels or attempting to escape, the majority of
which were being used as human shields by the pirates

In no way an attempt to scaremonger, knowledge of the report and its findings, which goes on to discuss the unacceptable conditions hostages are subject to, are pertinent to ensuring all sectors of the maritime industry remain aware of the threats, and remain in the best possible position to avoid them.

The report later went on to reveal the terrible conditions of pirate hijacks

• All hostages faced the risk of violence day upon day and a range of inhumane treatment
in violation of their basic human rights, including the right to life, liberty, and security of
person.
• At least three seafarers from the 23 reporting vessels died after release as a direct result of
their treatment during captivity.
• All crews were subject to restricted freedom of movement and privacy in addition to living
under constant threat of physical and psychological abuse.
• The reports indicate that the living, hygiene and sanitary conditions onboard the hijacked
ships declined rapidly and remained deplorable throughout captivity.
• The main triggers of physical and psychological abuse appeared to be:
• Pirates’ basic ignorance in the workings of a ship,
• A break down or slow progress in negotiations,
• Disagreements among the hostages, and
• Better treatment to some crews in exchange for information on the others.
• The report does not take into account the stress, fears, and the day-to-day deterioration in
standards of living of the family members of the captive crews.
• Half of all hostages in 2011 were subject to moderate abuse by captors including punching,
slapping, or pushing hostages. 10% of hostages suffered severe abuse which included being
tied up in the sun for hours, being locked in a freezer, or having fingernails pulled out with
pliers.
• Nearly all hostages were in some form affected psychologically. While many were able to
cope after they were released, there was some needing more help.
• Due regard has been given to the sensitivities of the identities of the crews, vessels, owners,
operators, and other parties involved in each hijacking case; hence the report only provides
aggregate information on the treatment towards the hostages.

Adrian McCourt of Watkins Superyachts shared with Superyacht News what the superyacht industry (and all cruising sailors) could take from the report: 'I would say that nobody should sail a yacht in the high risk areas. Freedom of the seas is utter nonsense.

'Coalition and non-coalition forces cannot protect seafarers. They can deter with a physical presence but are powerless to act with violence since they are not at war. Pirates, despite their actions, are civilians and cannot by law be shot by anyone’s armed forces.

'If you have to get your yacht across the area and you are not big enough to harden, comply with BMP4 or carry guards, then either book it as deck cargo or leave it where it is.'

ISAF the International Sailing Federation, and all authorities charged with protecting merchant shipping against piracy, suggest in the strongest possible terms that no cruising sailors should enter the pirate zone of the Indian Ocean, which has been growing every year in size.

To download a copy of the Oceans Beyond Piracy (OBP) Human Cost of Piracy 2011 report please click here.
by Sail-World Cruising

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2012, 19:13   #2

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Re: LATEST PIRATE NEWS

Very interesting, thank you for sharing it with us.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2012, 19:28   #3

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

The navy ships from the numerous countries that are patrolling these waters could virtually stop this problem in my opinion if they didn't have their hands tied behind their backs because of all of the political correct softly softly approach & over the top protocol that they need to go through.

Saw a documentary recently and even where they have footage taken from helicopters of them throwing all of their guns over the side they still can't convict them as there is no evidence that will stand up in court. Then when the navy RIBs pull alongside they have no guns on board & just claim that they are poor fishermen - yeah right with no fishing gear or any fish caught on board either just stacks of fuel cans so they can roam all over the ocean. They then let them go. This is an absolute joke as the pirates don't operate under any rules.

These pirates must be laughing their heads off at us and what a bunch of toothless pussies our navies seem to be. If a few of them got blown out of the water then word would spread & maybe they would think twice about being pirates. This has been going on for years and will continue unless a much more aggressive response in taken.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2012, 22:01   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Thanks for the informative update.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47   #5

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

"Coalition and non-coalition forces cannot protect seafarers. They can deter with a physical presence but are powerless to act with violence since they are not at war. Pirates, despite their actions, are civilians and cannot by law be shot by anyone’s armed forces." ==> Perhaps this is the core of the problem - the UN or the UNSC should be able to reach a common redefinition of pirates as 'enemy combatants' just like members of terrorist organizations. After all, it is an armed group operating on the high seas in contravention of most standards of conduct - similar or analogous to terrorist organizations operating on land. Once their status has been redefined, the rules of engagement by the various legitimate armed forces can be loosened to the point that effective action can be taken proactively. As noted in the report, these miscreants violate a long list of human rights promulgated by the UN, and should therefore be subject to severe punishment.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2012, 07:57   #6

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Hey Bruce,

I certainly agree with your comment of "the UN or the UNSC should be able to reach a common redefinition of pirates as 'enemy combatants' just like members of terrorist organizations. After all, it is an armed group operating on the high seas in contravention of most standards of conduct - similar or analogous to terrorist organizations operating on land. "

Sounds like a perfect way forward to me as they really are just water borne terrorists. I wonder why this has not been done - probably due to some do gooder lawyers saying that this breaches the rights of the pirates.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Hey Bruce,

I certainly agree with your comment of "the UN or the UNSC should be able to reach a common redefinition of pirates as 'enemy combatants' just like members of terrorist organizations. After all, it is an armed group operating on the high seas in contravention of most standards of conduct - similar or analogous to terrorist organizations operating on land. "

Sounds like a perfect way forward to me as they really are just water borne terrorists. I wonder why this has not been done - probably due to some do gooder lawyers saying that this breaches the rights of the pirates.
I kind of liked the Russian navy's catch and release program.

Apprehended the pirates, questioned them, took guns away and navigational equipment. Said they didn't have enough evidence, and released them.

About 300 miles from shore. No mention if fuel, food or water was part of the release.

How kind and humanitarian of those Russians. And what a PR machine.

Story here...
Old 08-07-2012, 07:20   #8

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
'Coalition and non-coalition forces cannot protect seafarers. They can deter with a physical presence but are powerless to act with violence since they are not at war. Pirates, despite their actions, are civilians and cannot by law be shot by anyone’s armed forces.
Hmmm. Sounds like applied dhimmitude...so at what point are the coalition forces to be regarded as pirates themselves, seeing they won't help you and actively make you helpless to help yourself? How likely is it that the status quo is actually favouring the insurance sharks and globalist politicians? If I ever get afloat, I'll avoid the known hotspots, sail carefully in any place that is dodgy (ie anywhere else), make it practically impossible to get on my boat without either overwhelming force or prior permission; and fight to the death as the last resort. No negotiations, no surrender, no quarter given or expected. And, no guns, so that avenue of contention is gone.
micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 09:19   #9

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

So the solution is that we respond to waterborne terrorism with acts of terrorism of our own.

Well I'm sure it would work, lets just shoot them out of the water, no need to have a proper trial. If they are a poor uneducated fisherman with a gun, what more proof do you need.

Meanwhile all their bosses are ashore, completely out of harms way, living in newly built luxury villas (check them out on Google Earth) recruiting more poor fishermen to take their places. They must run out of recruits eventually.

The real solution is on the land, not on the water.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 09:59   #10

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Hey Bruce,

It doesn't matter what the UN/UNSC agree upon, China and Russia will veto it anyway.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 10:33   #11

Boat: OEM, proportional

Sigh.

Somehow the comms got muddled. A second and final contribution to this topic...

I prefer to live and let live, but this does not extend to automatically surrendering like a limpwristed mollycoddled eunuch, such as the ptb program the serfs to be in this evil world.

Piracy is rare, very much so outside the hotspots. Stay away from those, and in the rest of the world don't look like you're easy pickings and the opportunists will be less likely to try their luck. Be prepared to deal with the problem, if after all that, someone insists on pushing their luck. This can be a reasoned and graduated response appropriate to the situation that doesn't make the problem worse.

Mommy is not going to come cuddle you and wipe your botty, and Daddy is not going to step in save you from the boogey man; and if you're just a yellowbellied surrendermonkey they'd probably be better off disowning you anyway rather than having such a pathetic excuse for a descendant to dishonour the family name. Let's not forget we have the priviledged opportunity to be private sailors on our own little ships because our ancestors were real men and women and not overgrown snotnoses with no courage or moral fibre.

This is very different from going on a self-appointed vigilante crusade to fix someone else's purpose built problem. This would be most foolish. There, hopefully I've made it childishly clear now, haven't I?

As to what the UN shoulda coulda woulda mighta done did didn't almost do, you'll need to look long and hard and far if you want to document anything worthwhile that criminal farce has ever produced. At the moment having global jihad fits in nicely to the goal of getting the world to agree to Tower Of Babel v2.0....so be smart and preserve and gratefully cherish the little patch of freedom in your sphere of influence, and leave the pipe dreams to the useful idiots.
micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
- limpwristed mollycoddled eunuch
- yellowbellied surrendermonkey
- pathetic excuse for a descendant
- overgrown snotnoses with no courage or moral fibre ...
Come on. Don't be shy; tell us what you really think of (some of) us.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 11:18   #13
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3

I kind of liked the Russian navy's catch and release program.

Apprehended the pirates, questioned them, took guns away and navigational equipment. Said they didn't have enough evidence, and released them.

About 300 miles from shore. No mention if fuel, food or water was part of the release.

How kind and humanitarian of those Russians. And what a PR machine.

Story here...
+1 for the Russians on this one! The pirates deserved to be..... "Released" as they apparently "weren't" pirates.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 11:28   #14
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi there,

I have taken the liberty of deleting a few very irrelevant posts which would be better placed in a gang training camp for 13 year olds than on a sailing forum.

That said, both HWMO and I have a strong interest in this subject, so I would appreciate if members could show a little restraint regarding discussion of weapons and politics, so they don't become disruptive. Pleeeeease?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 12:06   #15

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Thank you for the summation of the report. I found it rather interesting. Although everyone is focused on the horn of Africa, do they discuss other piracy hotspots? Not all that long ago the Straights of Malacca were a real problem (although the nature of the piracy was somewhat different) and I've heard that there is a problem around Venezuela to name a few areas.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply