Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2019, 08:40   #16

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Lake superior to Florida best route

Great loop route from Chicago to Mobile is way deeper than 6 feet. I can’t speak about from Lake Superior to Chicago, but I’ve done route from KY Lake to Mobile to Key West via GICW Panhandle and Clearwater to Mile 0 - 3 times. No where are you less than 9 feet in Tenn-Tom and that would be in a drought, lower sections of GICW near Sanibel can be 6 feet at low water for about 1000 yds. Most is way deeper. I draw 5 feet and not a problem where I’ve been all the way to Key West.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 08:55   #17

Boat: Columbia 8.7
Re: Lake superior to Florida best route

The part of the Loop that is shallowest is the Trent-Severn Canal between Lakes Huron and Ontario. 6' would be difficult to impossible for that stretch.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 09:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iduna View Post
What is your boat? The great loop river route mentioned here can only handle boats with about a 6' draft.
Commercial barge traffic can draft up to 9-10ft draft when loaded. The entire route is also used by commercial barge traffic. Short of a drought issue, 6' should have no problem with the channels.

That isn't to say it's desirable to be deep draft. Some anchorages and marinas will not be an option but it can certainly be done in a deep draft boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 10:15   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
The part of the Loop that is shallowest is the Trent-Severn Canal between Lakes Huron and Ontario. 6' would be difficult to impossible for that stretch.
Yup, that’s too deep. For boats greater than 5’ draft you need to go through the Welland Canal.
Old 25-08-2019, 15:41   #20

I really appreciate all of the info. I am looking at a nonsuch 30 online that is in Lake Superior area. 4'11" draft. Definitely do not want to pull the mast. Im on the southeast coast of florida so maybe out toward the Hudson and take intracoastal and ocean back home.
oceanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 16:09   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanrider View Post
I really appreciate all of the info. I am looking at a nonsuch 30 online that is in Lake Superior area. 4'11" draft. Definitely do not want to pull the mast. Im on the southeast coast of florida so maybe out toward the Hudson and take intracoastal and ocean back home.
You can't get to the Hudson from Lake Ontario or Lake Erie without pulling the mast.
Old 25-08-2019, 16:23   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You can't get to the Hudson from Lake Ontario or Lake Erie without pulling the mast.
Ok so routes only that do not involve pulling the mast.
oceanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 18:33   #23

Boat: Columbia 8.7

That simplifies your routing decision. Hope you enjoy Detroit and Montreal. Leave soon so you get there before the river freezes.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 19:32   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
That simplifies your routing decision. Hope you enjoy Detroit and Montreal. Leave soon so you get there before the river freezes.
Way too late for that route now unless one enjoys hypothermia.
Old 25-08-2019, 19:55   #25

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

When I first saw the OP post I thought,,,,Look at a road map or Google is your friend. I am still there! Pull the mast and ship it unless you have lots of free time. If you ahve to ask the question in the first place without doing your own legwork you are not up to getting the trip done.
Old 25-08-2019, 23:24   #26

Quote:
To keep the mast up the whole way...you are running the entire St. Lawrence Seaway. Pull up Google Maps and measure out the distances involved...it's upwards of double the total miles to get to Key West and much of it is wild remote sailing.

That's not to say it wouldn't be an interesting trip that is well worth while but you are late in the season to head out now and it's a much more rigorous trip, so the boat and you must be much better prepared.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 02:59   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Ok so routes only that do not involve pulling the mast.

You're too late for the St. Lawrence, which is your only option apparently. Heck, you're probably too late to even leave Lake Superior.

Truck it.
Old 26-08-2019, 05:19   #28

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

A Nonsuch is one of the easiest mast to pull. It is also a rather small boat to take out the St Lawrence.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 13:38   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have some Ozzie friends who had a Roberts 38, 7 ft. draft, who entered the Great Lakes and exited from Chicago into the Rivers to head south and exited in AL or LA--don't remember any more, exactly. So, with the Nonesuch, there shouldn't be a draft worry. You'd want to re-step the mast when you finished getting south. Could be an interesting journey.

Ann
Old 28-08-2019, 14:29   #30

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

Hi oceanrider

I have been on Lake Superior

I have been swimming in Lake Michigan and that was enough to make me realize that it isn't harmless

I have been on parts of the Mississippi

I have been on parts of the ICW

I have a boat that is roughly similar to yours

I strongly recommend that you reconsider your plans to take the boat to Florida via the St. Lawrence Seaway. It is late in the year for such a journey. As you may be aware, the weather deteriorates in the fall, and the distance is great. Keep in mind that you are required to have at least two people aboard to transit the Welland Canal.

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/...craftguide.pdf

I believe the fees for lockage are presently $300. This is the only route out of Lake Superior that would allow you to keep your mast up, and it will not work unless you wait untill spring (in which case you would be well advised to store the boat with the mast down until spring anyway)

Assuming that your boat is in the Duluth-Superior area, I would recommend having the boat trucked the relatively short distance (200 miles) to the Stillwater. There are marinas in the Stillwater area with launching and mast stepping facilities. You could then proceed down the St. Croix River to the Mississippi then take the Tennessee-Tombigbee waterway to Mobile, Alabama, then the gulf ICW to Florida. This route is highly regarded and well suited to late summer and early fall. The controlling clearance on this route is 52' so you could keep your mast up from Stillwater to the Gulf. The official controlling depth is "about nine feet" and in any event is sufficient for your boat.

There are local trucking firms that would handle the haul for you at competitive rates. The going rate is around $3 a mile for longer hauls but you may have to pay a little more per mile since the distance is short.

With no trucking whatsoever the best route out of the Great Lakes would be via Chicago and the Illinois Waterway, then (as with launching in Stillwater) down the Mississippi then the Tennessee-Tombigbee waterway to Mobile. You would have to lower your mast to clear low bridges in the Chicago area. Facilities are available at several points to raise it. It is already late in the year to use this route and you would want to have an alternate plan in place in case you cannot get off Lake Superior quickly (due to weather, mechanical problems, etc).
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, lake superior, route