Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2013, 21:52   #1

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Jervis Bay NSW

Hi.
I am planning to sail from Sydney to JB on the 12th of April and unfortunately due to work commitments I will need to be back in Sydney by the evening of the 16th at the latest.
Providing the weather is kind we should have no problems. But, if it turns on us I was hoping for a plan B.
I am looking for someone with some local knowledge about where it may be passable to moor my boat for about 4 days somewhere in Jervis Bay.
I know there are a couple of public moorings around but they are usually limited to 24 hours.
My yacht is 40ft and weighs in at about 12 tons.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Jeff
Old 30-03-2013, 16:14   #2

Re: Jervis Bay NSW

Anyone?
Old 30-03-2013, 18:58   #3

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Hi jeff, I havnt sailed there but stayed at Huskisson in 2008. Nice place on a tidal creek/ river. There was a decent wharf a little up from Huskisson, fairly close to Jervis Bay proper. Seemed fairly deep - only question i guess is depth as you enter this channel from the bay. Anyway, that is something you can check out, but i hope someone with better knowledge of the area can help you. Cheers
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 19:50   #4

Thanks Kjames
I know the creek fairly well, unfortunately my draft is 2m, I could probably get in there but it does not leave much room for maneuvering so it scares me a bit. You also need to be lined up perfectly with the marks on the way in or you will be thumping a very hard bottom.

I have looked at a more up to date chart which shows allot of public moorings both on the North & South of the Bay. The main problem will be the time that I am away from the boat as I am shore that most of these moorings will have a 24 hour limit.
I suppose the next question might be to inquire about the fines for overstaying on them. I would need at least 3 days.
Old 30-03-2013, 20:13   #5

Boat: between boats

Hi Hoohaa

There are usually a few visitor moorings available in Callala Bay on the northern end of JB that you can stay longer on. Just check with the yacht club there for availability. Failing that you can anchor at either hole in the wall or long beach (honey moon bay will be out with your draft) - just check the wind for the days you will be away and take your pick on which side of the bay will suit conditions. (beware to get a good hold at hole in the wall though - drop into one of the sand patches to the east of the moorings)

great spot this time of year - enjoy!
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 21:56   #6

Thanks Barra

I will try and contact the Yacht club and see if we can score one of those moorings. I have sent an email to a sailing club in JB but so far haven't had a response, so I will try again.
Thanks again for the info.

Is the creek at Husky too shallow? I remember a Swanson 42 moored up there? Just curious, I have no intention of venturing up there.

Any idea on what the predominate winds are in April?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 31-03-2013, 02:30   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

typoHooha,

Actually, I don't know how attached to your boat you are. I wouldn't leave my boat unattended on its hook in Jervis Bay. Part of the problem is that weather predicition isn't all that good, though it's much better than in years passed. If you can arrange a mooring beforehand, then yes, good, leave it there. But otherwise, plan to sail her back to safety in Sydney, perhaps via Gibbon Beach, if you need a sleep. There are no all-wind anchorages in Jervis Bay for your and our draft vessels, unless you've an in with the Navy.
Old 31-03-2013, 02:54   #8

Boat: GibSea 402

Ann T Cat is 100% correct. I would never leave my yacht unattended in Jervis Bay. There is a great alternative just a few Ks North of Jervis Bay at Greenwell Point. The entry is easy and if you contact the Marine Rescue guys on channel 16 they will assist with where you can moor or anchor. There is strong tidal flow in the river but good holding. There is a bus service to Nowra where you can catch the train or other buses depending on where you want to go. This is a good place to visit
pwhitburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 03:13   #9

The river is realy out with your draft I draw 6' (1.8m) and had to go up river just past the Woollamia jetty as this is the only deep hole in the river, and this was possible on a couple of tides each month. The river is rapidly silting. If you do leave your boat at the mooring fields in Callala Bay, check with your insurance as club marine has black listed the area. Here is the name or the guy who looks after all the moorings in the bay and river, he may be able to help you.
Adrian for moorings
moorings@jervisbay.com0411118822

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 03:48   #10

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Hi.
I am planning to sail from Sydney to JB on the 12th of April and unfortunately due to work commitments I will need to be back in Sydney by the evening of the 16th at the latest.
Providing the weather is kind we should have no problems. But, if it turns on us I was hoping for a plan B.
I am looking for someone with some local knowledge about where it may be passable to moor my boat for about 4 days somewhere in Jervis Bay.
I know there are a couple of public moorings around but they are usually limited to 24 hours.
My yacht is 40ft and weighs in at about 12 tons.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
I don't think you are giving yourself enough time for JB return, not trying to put a damper on things but a relaxing alternative would be to go up to pittwater then if the weather catches you out, you can bus it quite easily back to Sydney and leave your boat on a commercial mooring up there.

How did the new dodger turn out?

Cheers,

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 15:02   #11

Unfortunately I don't have a choice with the timing, Flights are booked on Wednesday to fly to Perth and two of the crew will have flown over from WA for the trip. My flight back to WA was for inductions for a new job which I cannot miss or reschedule for multiple reasons.
That is the primary reason for this post. I do realize that it is bad form applying tight deadlines to any cruise.
All of the crew are planning to sail to Lord Howe Island later this year, so this sail is actually more about the sail down the coast than the destination.
Jervis Bay is an old favorite of mine which I know reasonably well from when I used to do allot of diving and I have also spent a week or so sailing around her on my old 22ft TS. I don't want to leave her there and fully intend returning to Sydney with time to spare weather depending.
This is my plan B and it sounds like it has to be a mooring.
Plan C will be Port Stevens.
Plan C/D Pitt water
Plan E Sydney Harbour.
Thanks Simon for the Number I will be giving him a call.
I may be able to leave someone on Board.
AnnT Cate. Leaving the boat on the hook scares the hell out of me.

Thanks for all the great advice. I will take a look into Greenwell point, Thanks.
Old 31-03-2013, 17:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Hi Jeff,
I don't think you are giving yourself enough time for JB return, not trying to put a damper on things but a relaxing alternative would be to go up to pittwater then if the weather catches you out, you can bus it quite easily back to Sydney and leave your boat on a commercial mooring up there.

How did the new dodger turn out?

Cheers,
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3135.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	58327
I have been assured it will be finished in time for JB or at least functional.
This is a pic when we first lifted it on about 3 months ago, since then its been pushed and shaped and modified but this pic gives you a pretty good idea of what its going to look like. It will ofcause be perfectly faired, windows, supports ect.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48   #13

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post

I have been assured it will be finished in time for JB or at least functional.
This is a pic when we first lifted it on about 3 months ago, since then its been pushed and shaped and modified but this pic gives you a pretty good idea of what its going to look like. It will ofcause be perfectly faired, windows, supports ect.
Looking good Jeff, if your going past Woolwich give us a yell!'

We're heading north end of May

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote