Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2023, 17:58   #1

Jeez enough with all the Ads

My comment may get me booted off this forum but what the heck. I will roll the dice. Enough with all the advertisements. When I first joined this forum, it was pretty much laid back. Now it is over the top with all the ads. I know the powers at be need to make money but being greedy never wins. Then again maybe it does. Anyway, take care everyone.
Time Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2023, 19:37   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Jeez enough with all the Ads

Do you log in and still experience the ad/pop-up issues to the same extent?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2023, 20:56   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ad blockers are your friend. I don't see any ads, ever. Makes the whole WWW a lot more palatable.
Old 23-11-2023, 22:15   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Dump Chrome or Edge or Firefox or whatever you use, and switch to Brave. You will not regret it.
Old 24-11-2023, 00:31   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm using Chrome. No ad problem, but I use AdBlock. No ads on CF at all.

What does happen is that the media share data, so your browsing history will bring you targeted ads. This may happen more with phone access to CF than with regular computer access.

Ann
Old 24-11-2023, 05:14   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Dump Chrome or Edge or Firefox or whatever you use, and switch to Brave. You will not regret it.
I've been using Brave for years too. Love it, no ads ever. Even the imbedded ads in YouTube are gone when I watch on my phone or computer. It ticks me off when I watch on my smart TV, it shows the ads. Can't do Brave on that.
If you're using Chrome, you'll find Brave quite familiar, it looks and works about the same.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 08:16   #7

I mainly use Firefox on my laptop. Ad-block takes care of all the unwanted ads, even on youtube.

But more importantly, I run Ghostery to block all the unwanted trackers and snoopers that almost every website (CF included) attempts to embed on your browser. I see five being blocked right now, as I type.

Also, cancel -- and NEVER use -- a Google account. Google is the principle offender. If you use a Google account, you are basically asking them to track you.

I also use Brave, but generally prefer Firefox.

On my tablet I use DuckDuck and Ghostery. Kills the ads that way, but I'll have to try Brave there. Good suggestion

The bigger issue here is that so many of us feel compelled to run all these blockers. Forcing incessant ads on users is one thing, but it's all the invisible trackers and snoopers that websites use that really ticks me off. If the tracking was upfront, more people would be offended -- which is why it is kept secret.
Old 24-11-2023, 08:40   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom 71'

They're wasting their money on me. I get flooded with ads for things I've already purchased.
Old 24-11-2023, 08:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YANDINA View Post
They're wasting their money on me. I get flooded with ads for things I've already purchased.

I get the humour, but as all advertisers know, one of the best indicators of whether someone will buy something, is if they've purchased a similar item or service in the past.

This is why you get bombarded with ads for stuff you've already bought. They know that, odds are, you'll buy it, or something similar, again.
Old 24-11-2023, 16:08   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO36i 2008

Now that you mention it, there are a lot more ads on CF these days. And they take up a third of my laptop screen. Logging in does not make any difference. Until this thread, I think I managed to ignore them!
Jhclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 16:38   #11

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Hey, I've found that Ghostery is great at eliminating this problem (at least for me)

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 17:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hey, I've found that Ghostery is great at eliminating this problem (at least for me)

Good stuff. Blocking all the background snoopers and trackers is even more important than just blocking the ads.
Old 24-11-2023, 17:40   #13

First (second and thrid) rule of the internet. If you are getting soemthing for free, you are NOT the customer, you are the PRODUCT.

Everybody wants somebody else to pay for what they want.

I use safari, there are a row of ads down the right side of the page. That's how I pay for access to CF. I ignore them, almost all the time. Every once in a while there is a useful contact there.

I am not at all sure what the big deal is.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 19:05   #14

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'm going to take exception to the idea that the problem has anything to do with greedy owners.

The owners of this (or any) web site are caught up in an arms race for users' eyeballs.

Advertisers need to get their message to as many people as possible. Users get accustomed to static ads and learn to ignore them. So advertisers make the ads bigger, louder, brighter, flashier and generally more annoying, in an attempt to attract users' attention. Users respond by installing ad blockers. So the ads which get through need to be even more annoying. And the cycle continues.

Nobody wins this war. The advertisers are not getting their message to their potential customers. Sites aren't making enough money through advertising to cover expenses. Users lose access to formerly free content.

I'm all for ad-supported content. But the ads have to be unobtrusive and respectful of the user's time and intelligence. Do that and I'll turn off my ad blockers. Unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 21:41   #15

Used to be an issue a few years back when the cellphone was brand new and not "tuned" privacy wise. Then I went through my browser 's (Chrome) privacy and security settings and no more ads. Did the same on my laptop but occasionally, rarely, will still get and ad or two there. No biggie. Beats the alternative of a paid subscription.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote