Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 17:31   #166

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Re: Is your boat part of your Doomsday Plan?

A64, my 50s a Barrett aswell, I've also got a 338 lm, a 300 WM, a 308 a 243 a 6.5 and a 7 mm all are long range set ups. On average glass and rifle builds around 7k, to 10k a pop. Hell my glass is 3500/4500 a scope.

I'm a gun guy, I build and shoot a lot of guns. I've been collecting since the mid 70s, and rarely sell. I've got a collection of m14 rifles, FNFAL 308s, H&K rifles that I purchased as a young man. Also collect 1911 colt style pistols, they tell me I have a bunch.

While most were out vacationing, I saved my money and purchased firearms. and high end optics.

I'm not a killer, or a saint. I'm just someone who enjoys shooting tiny targets at really long distances. A hit at 1760 " a mile" is very satisfying. Over two or three valleys and ridge lines then observe the target upon impact is well rewarding. Being a retired police man, I've been thru some very very interesting courses, very challanging to,say the least.

My social circle is very interesting to say the least.

Off to dinner.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 17:46   #167

There are generally two ways to develop antivirus software. One is heuristic driven that seeks to prevent known threats, hobbyists reusing old code and strategies, etc. Second is trying to lock down system resources from unauthorized use.

Both work but neither is completely foolproof.

Even airgapped systems aren't completely safe. Like previously said by others the Iranian centrifuge program was attacked by Siemens hardware that came preinfevted in Deutschland. There's been hardware manufacturers who shipped hardware with firmware infected.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 17:57   #168
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You really don't know anything about computer networking protocols, do you?
I do actually. But name this mysterious "public IP address". There isn't one. If there was, the whole world would know about it by now, and all those " fanatical rogue state terrorists " would be crashing our grid every day.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 18:00   #169
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I love long range shooting myself, but I have tiny guns, 22-250 and a .204 Ruger. I'd get a 338 lapua, maybe on my return. I don't have a .50, many ranges won't allow them.
I did fire a few rounds in Korea out of a Barrett, does that count?
I'm getting old I think. Anything bigger than a 7.62x51 is just not fun to shoot. I'm staying with 5.56 for the most part, and concentrating on precision.
Old 06-02-2017, 18:05   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
I'm getting old I think. Anything bigger than a 7.62x51 is just not fun to shoot. I'm staying with 5.56 for the most part, and concentrating on precision.
I knew I was getting too old during the last time I took the Mauser to the range. Went home and sold it to my nephew.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 18:08   #171
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
I knew I was getting too old during the last time I took the Mauser to the range. Went home and sold it to my nephew.
I don't shoot 1 1/4 oz. slugs from a 7 1/2 pound 12 gauge anymore either.
Old 06-02-2017, 18:09   #172

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Even airgapped systems aren't completely safe. Like previously said by others the Iranian centrifuge program was attacked by Siemens hardware that came preinfevted in Deutschland.
IIRC the public story is that it was done by an infected USB drive, but that could be a cover for Siemens. You just can't trust anyone...

Quote:
There's been hardware manufacturers who shipped hardware with firmware infected.
Snowden's leaks had a lot of info on that. But it is not just the US spook community that does it. The US government has a ban on buying any Lenovo computers due to such fears. Why Lenovo and not other computers assembled in China has not been publicly explained, but such things are not done so publicly without a good reason.

Quote:
I do actually. But name this mysterious "public IP address". There isn't one.
Sorry, but from our long interaction yesterday it is clear you don't - at least by professional standards.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 18:58   #173

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Doomsday is when there are no drinks left in the fridge and everyone is showing up for an unannounced sundowner.

Honestly, I think life is too short to worry about a doomsday, which might never happen.

And really, who of you wants to endure the daily struggle in a post apocalyptic world with no hope that it will improve - ever - until you die?? Just imagine this empty fridge in your cockpit is all you have left.

Haven't you seen "The Day After", "The Book Of Eli" or the "Mad Max" movies?
Old 06-02-2017, 19:13   #174
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
IIRC the public story is that it was done by an infected USB drive, but that could be a cover for Siemens. You just can't trust anyone...

Snowden's leaks had a lot of info on that. But it is not just the US spook community that does it. The US government has a ban on buying any Lenovo computers due to such fears. Why Lenovo and not other computers assembled in China has not been publicly explained, but such things are not done so publicly without a good reason.

Sorry, but from our long interaction yesterday it is clear you don't - at least by professional standards.

Greg
Professional by whose standards.

You claim there is some public IP address that someone can gain access to the grid control systems. Anyone that claims that is talking through their hat.

Now, I see the ball has switched to "infected hardware".

I've followed the stuxnet thing since the beginning. Wired magazine isn't the only source of info out there, and is certainly not a professional source of information.

And to quote YOU, " you just can't trust anyone". Evidently you finally get it. These people don't always tell the truth, even if they know what the truth actually is.
Old 06-02-2017, 21:07   #175

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
You claim there is some public IP address that someone can gain access to the grid control systems. Anyone that claims that is talking through their hat.
No, I never said anything like that - you are confused. Maybe someone else did. The SCADA network probably ran on the 10.x.x.x address block, which are by definition not public. The firewall, or a separate router behind it, would have had a NAT. That firewall might have had a public IP, but I doubt it. It was probably itself on an internal corporate LAN, again with local ip's and a firewall on the corporate block of public ip's. And of course those addresses are known. Do you understand now?

Quote:
I've followed the stuxnet thing since the beginning. Wired magazine isn't the only source of info out there, and is certainly not a professional source of information.
I referenced Wired only because it was the first entry in the search when I was looking to answer you. That information is indeed in many places on the internet, in magazines, books, and on TV. Take your pick. The story is the same. Putting down Wired doesn't solve anything. If you disagree with anything I write then provide your own links to support what you say, if you can. Otherwise it's just more BS.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 23:08   #176

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Ok here's a grim topic, but it's something I ponder occasionally and maybe it could lead to some discussion... Do you have a "bug out plan", and is your boat a part of it?

I live in Brooklyn, and I can think of a few disaster scenarios where it could be useful having a boat to sail away in rather than elbow my way through crowds over Manhattan bridges to the mainland. Even without planning ahead, my boat usually has enough food, water and fuel on it for a couple people to last a week or more and/or get pretty far away from NYC. These scenarios are all unlikely but definitely not impossible... hey even the Yellowstone Super-volcano is overdue, right?

Then again, when the boat is hauled out for the winter I can't exactly push it in by myself, so that cuts out about half the year. And if I got away from the city, where would I go anyway? I couldn't fit all my family and friends on board, so how do I determine who makes the cut? And would I just be overwhelmed by throngs of angry Brooklyners before I could get off the mooring anyway?

Has anyone else had a thought process like this? How specific is your plan and how serious are you about it?
Should anything be imputed by the assumption implied by your suggestion that 'we' have a 'doomsday plan'? It is interesting how (at this point) the longevity of a thread seems directly proportional to the obtuseness of it's 'point'...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:19   #177
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
No, I never said anything like that - you are confused. Maybe someone else did. The SCADA network probably ran on the 10.x.x.x address block, which are by definition not public. The firewall, or a separate router behind it, would have had a NAT. That firewall might have had a public IP, but I doubt it. It was probably itself on an internal corporate LAN, again with local ip's and a firewall on the corporate block of public ip's. And of course those addresses are known. Do you understand now?

Greg
Agreed. And it could have been another poster. But there is no public access to these networks. If there was, in any way, it would have been exploited a long time ago.

Popular media has distorted this and used it as some form of panic button, just as they did the "Nigerian yellow cake" fraud years ago. These are the BSers, not me.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:14   #178

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Just the thought of that makes my shoulder hurt !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:24   #179
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is your boat part of your Doomsday Plan?

Quote:
Ahh come on.. there's no fun like getting up close and personal with 350+lbs of wild boar in a reed bed..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 14:43   #180
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahh come on.. there's no fun like getting up close and personal with 350+lbs of wild boar in a reed bed..
Yeah I have a buddy that does it with dogs and a big Swiss surplus bayonet.

Tags
boat