Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 15:28   #181

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Is your boat part of your Doomsday Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
I do have friends that made their 60s era fallout shelter in their basement into a great wine cellar....
They should have done that in the 60s. If you were going to go might as well go happy.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 23:57   #182

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
Yeah I have a buddy that does it with dogs and a big Swiss surplus bayonet.
That sounds very strange taken out of context...
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:55   #183

Quote:
I don't shoot 1 1/4 oz. slugs from a 7 1/2 pound 12 gauge anymore either.
My new saiga 12-gauge, you can shoot em all day long! The gas operating system absorbs a great deal of the recoil.. you can shoot that thing one handed no worries. When I went back to my old 12 gauge pump that was when I really noticed it! The 12 gauge pump will definitely wear on your shoulder but the new gas operated 12 gauge is much much better but still packs the same punch per round. .... and a bunch more of them in a hurry!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:52   #184

Boat: SOLD

Quote:
And just WHAT is that elusive public IP Address?

Tick, tock, tick, tock

Have you ever heard the word "backdoor"? It isn´t movie stuff, it´s real and every system has one. Do you now how many attacks suffer the pentagon, the white house, and ALL goverment departments of ALL countries around the world every day? Millions.......and it only takes one lucky shot. Hopefully that lucky shot will be from a 14 years old kid that was just playing, but if not...., anything can happen.

Mariano

FAIR WINDS
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:53   #185
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
Have you ever heard the word "backdoor"? It isn´t movie stuff, it´s real and every system has one. Do you now how many attacks suffer the pentagon, the white house, and ALL goverment departments of ALL countries around the world every day? Millions.......and it only takes one lucky shot. Hopefully that lucky shot will be from a 14 years old kid that was just playing, but if not...., anything can happen.

Mariano

FAIR WINDS
Yes. Those backdoors still require a mode of access; wireless, hardwire, etc.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:00   #186
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
My new saiga 12-gauge, you can shoot em all day long! The gas operating system absorbs a great deal of the recoil.. you can shoot that thing one handed no worries. When I went back to my old 12 gauge pump that was when I really noticed it! The 12 gauge pump will definitely wear on your shoulder but the new gas operated 12 gauge is much much better but still packs the same punch per round. .... and a bunch more of them in a hurry!
They're nice, but pulling that trigger then becomes a pain to the wallet.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:11   #187
cruiser

Quote:
I don't shoot 1 1/4 oz. slugs from a 7 1/2 pound 12 gauge anymore either.
Don't be a sissy.

If recoil is an issue, then buy a Vepr 12.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:24   #188
RPZ

VEPRs are nice too.
Old 14-02-2017, 00:40   #189

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

How many have skidaddled already ?
Near 200k evacd from oroville due to infrastructure going south.
Yeah right independence, if it doesn't fall in the ocean first, good luck with that.
Praying for the nuts and fruits.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 02:08   #190
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Many good points. Watch "The Last Ship" mini series. The first year was the best part of the series. The only time they got into trouble was when they headed to dry land.

Get together with other sailors, form a small flotilla for protection and sail off into a mushroom cloud.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 11:11   #191

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Drove south last Thursday, from Oregon to Moss Landing Ca. Shasta lake water level was dam near in the trees, very nice to see. Shasta dam was in free fall, over the overflow side. Redding,Red Bluff and towns south along the Sacramento River are at flood stage.

Oroville, and Folsom are pumping big time. All thee fields and orchards along I-5 were covered in water. Was good to see. We're at a friends in Sonoma Ca, picking up sailboat parts. Sonoma Creek or River ? Runs thru his back yard, and is perhaps 100 feet in a gully in his back yard.

The river was four feet from the top and rising when we left. Rained hard hard hard, barely made it over Highway 17 into Santa Cruz as land was sliding in multiple locations.

We got to Moss Landing, my SV is in the corner, and we discovered that the river has flood gates that open perhaps 40/50 feet behind my boat. The river was high enough their was white water.

My boat was physically covered in whitish froth, the entire boat! I was and am not a real happy camper. This shits tasting my clean boat.

Someone had disconnected my shore power and I had water almost to the deck plates. Again not real happy.

O well. Friday morning, we towed her down to Moss Landing dry dock and put her on the hard, roughly 15:00. Power washed the bottom and started sanding the bottom for needed repairs.

Roughly 8 hours of sanding and repairs, and bottom paint was applied, we were done by 14:00.

Used a fork lift to lift my 4-108 m imto the deck, and eventually into the engine dog house. Took a few hours for the install. Sunday morning, motor stated and ran on the hard, for a short period of time.

Monday back in the water at 13:00, out imto Monterey bay for a couple hours of motoring, edging system checks.

Headed home yesterday, a difficult task with all the land slides, ended up, going north on highway 1, to half moon bay, then across into, San Meteo. And back home.

I'm tired, we kicked ass with zero breaks sanding painting, and installing motors.

Back down in a few weeks, to tune the wire, and put up the sails for a few hours on the bay.

I'm wanting to head north within the next 60 days.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 20:55   #192

Boat: J/42

This thread reminds me of back when I was a kid, the main Civil Defense fallout shelter for our town was deep inside the hydroelectric dam. You know... the one just upstream from town, that powered the strategic metal smelter and also half of Los Angeles... Now, what possible object in the area would be the target of a nuclear bomb? Even as a first grader I knew there was something not quite right about this plan...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 21:07   #193

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
This thread reminds me of back when I was a kid, the main Civil Defense fallout shelter for our town was deep inside the hydroelectric dam. You know... the one just upstream from town, that powered the strategic metal smelter and also half of Los Angeles... Now, what possible object in the area would be the target of a nuclear bomb? Even as a first grader I knew there was something not quite right about this plan...
Remember the poster about how to prepare for a nuclear attack that ended with placing your head between your legs and kissing your ass goodbye?

ETA: Found it! https://www.etsy.com/listing/2709760...FUQGhgodWt8DMA
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 11:39   #194
Old Salts

My bike is part of my doomsday plan. Load it up with clothes, food (lots of beans), water, clothes, bikes tools and bike parts, and off I go...

Tags
boat