Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2007, 14:56   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Is there less people cruising than there was 3 years ago?

I have been in the Bahamas for over 1 month and the locals have told me that there is less and less cruisers every year. Why do you think this is?

There is also very few boats under 30 feet. Any thoughts?

I know of a couple in a 12 year old 25 foot coastal cruiser boat cruising The Bahamas for the season.

Are the sail mag(rags) promoting the lifestyle out of existance?
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 17:08   #2

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Just a guess but...
Some people have been put off by the cost of entering the country, which doubled a few years ago. Some people may be going other places after years of going to the Bahamas. And I believe the weather has had something to do with it - I don't believe there have been too many good weather windows lately. But these are all guesses on my part.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 17:40   #3

The word is the the anchorages in Queensland were much quieter than usual this year too.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 18:05   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
wouldn't that be wonderful?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 18:24   #5

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
I think we've hit a lul in cruising if anything.. there has been so many changes in entry procedures as for cost and what you have to have that many as myself, have just dropped anchor in a peasefull place and waiting for awhile..
We were headed for Mexico and Central America a year ago, and then heard stories of changes going on so we figured we set for awhile... But we're cruisers, so setting for a year or so is'nt such a bad thing.. Did some needed work on the boat and we'll be off this spring.............
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 20:03   #6

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
The recreational marine industry generally follows the economy as a whole. The economy is down, so is the marine industry and this translates into fewer cruisers as fewer folks can take off and leave when the economy is down.

I think we're effected the least here in Mexico as it's a very welcoming country, can still be cruised inexpensively and is easy to reach - particularly on the West Coast.

The Marinas here are full to overflowing with new marinas filling up as soon as they come online.

Of course, it helps that you can get a slip here at most marinas for about the same or less than the yearly property tax on a new boat if the boat were back in the US.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), but that's what we see....

Regards,
Bill
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 20:11   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
RD:

Where do you keep the boat suring hurricane season. I am planning on bringing the boat to Mex in Dec 2008. I want to leave the boat there and then come home to work some more and then in 2009 continue down the coast. Can you get local insurance to cover the boat during hurricane season?

Charlie

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 20:17   #8

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
Yes, insurance is available for Hurricane season from a number of sources. We use IMIS (Al Golden).

We summer in Puerto Vallarta area in Banderas Bay - it has historically NEVER been hit by a hurricane and the marinas would be pretty good in a big blow as they're behind rows of hotels.

A tropical storm did come near about 10 years ago, but the mountains around the bay weakened it substantially before it came close.

Many folks go to San Carlos up in the Sea of Cortez as it's North of many insurance companies navigation limits.

Interestingly, San Carlos does occasionally get hit...

Regards,
Bill
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 20:32   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks Bill:

Was off having a look at your blog/website. We were just up in PNW too. Went to some of the same places. Weren't the reversing rapids cool. Boat is on the hard right now in Astoria, OR (They got hit with hurricane force winds at the begining of the month. I plan on taking the boat to SF in April and then work the way down the coast in the summer and on to Mexico either in the Baja Ha Ha or harbor hopping down the outside of Baja.

Good to know that you can get insurance down there during hurricane season.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote