Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 08:59   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195
Hull Identification Number

Dear All,
After owning my vessel for 3 years and having no difficulty documenting or registering her, the Republic of Coastal Alabama has suddenly changed the way they do business. Apparently, last year-any registration applications or renewals are shared in real time with the Marine police. Upon attempting to re register this year, my application (opportunity to pay tax) was rejected by the marine police based on "A HIN not conforming to standard". Sure enough, my HIN only has 11 characters. Hung my head over the transom-yup, still only 11 characters albeit with a -MKII at the end which would make it then 15 characters if you counted that. My HIN conforms to the protocol all the way through manufacturer, model, and serial number only to get bolloxed up in the date area. The local probate office has been very responsive, but in the end, it looks like the Marine police want to issue a "state issued HIN". Can't imagine what a pain this will be relative my USCG documentation, insurance, etc...anyone else had this happen???

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
stevec195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 16:57   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Hull Identification Number

Is there an Allied Seawind owners group you can pose this question to? Lots of Allied boats out there, this can't be unique.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:55   #3

Yup, already done. So far, I haven't heard any responses from them. I did make application for a state issued HIN yesterday, hopefully this will allow me to register in state without having to change any documented vessel information as this sounds like a bunch of internal nonsense.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:01   #4

Boat: Heritage 35

If your vessel is federally registered do you still have to register it with the State?
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:13   #5

I did have to change the HIN number with documentation papers when I discovered that the documentation papers did not match what was on the boat. When I bought the boat new in 1985, I never did notice that one letter was not correct. It went on for 20 years that way until I sold the boat to a friend. It was then discovered that the number on the paper did not match what was on the boat. I don't remember it really being a hassle in that a photo of the actual number was required as well as a tracing of the number. The documentation papers were changed and all is well. It may involve submitting new documentation to the Coast Guard for the change, but that was being done anyway since my friend now owned the boat. Contact them to see what is required to have a new number. (HIN number that is) The actual documentation number remained the same.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:25   #6

At least in my case, all the USCG data agrees completely with what is on the transom. Will see.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:30   #7

Kalinka,
That varies state to state. In my state, you only escape registration if the vessel is engaged in a commercial activity and is documented. Also, if not used for commercial activity and documented there is no need to display the state registry lettering but you still must pay your registration fee and technically display your renewal decal.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:39   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec195 View Post
That varies state to state, there is no need to display the state registry lettering but you still must pay your registration fee and technically display your renewal decal.

That's the way it is in Ct. also. It's a scam. All it is is an income stream for a corrupt government.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull