Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2017, 19:49   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: How necessary is AIS?

For me a tranciever is on the must have list, I can give you so many examples of why, heres just one.
Sailing north in far north Queensland in 25-30+ k approx three months ago. The passes you share with ships can get congested at times, I have one very large ship coming south, one coming north and an Australian warship just behind that. Conditions are poor and we are all converging on this pass at the same time (of course!!). We are all in communication and there is no guessing due to ais, I actually asked the warship to give way and they politely did so. All went smooth and well.
Yes, you can do this without ais BUT it simplified the situation, no guess work, everyone knew the name of all vessels and I'm sure all appreciated the data on the screens.
Btw I'm doing 7-8k, ships are doing 14ish in very average (read terrible)conditions, this is stressful for me, may not be for others but anything that makes my life easier I'm all for.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 19:57   #17

It's pretty funny how these threads always have a few people who admit they don't EVEN have an AIS transponder claim that ships ignore class B AIS.

Hogwash.

I routinely watch large ships on my AIS adjust course to keep a minimium CPA (closest point of approach) of at least 1 NM. They often do it 5+ miles away with just a 1 or 2 degree course change.

To the OP, Get a transponder. The benefit of AIS is not so much in you seeing a 1000ft ship -- since they are hard to miss -- but so a deck officer 100ft up on that 1000ft ship sees your little bitty plastic boat. A boat that is just about invisible on radar.

Think of it as the world's best radar reflector
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 20:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
I really don't understand how any experienced offshore skipper could downplay the importance of AIS.
Yes there are the commercial fishing boats without AIS but that pales in comparison to having a ship with a 100 ft beam coming up your stern on those dark rainy nights.
It is very reassuring when you can call them and they respond by saying "we see you and will be taking your stern".
My vote is for an AIS transponder even if money is an issue, put it on your CC and pay the frigging interest.
The anxiety relief will give you a longer life.[emoji3]
Yep[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]
Old 29-07-2017, 20:07   #19

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

Another vote for AIS and knowing COLREGS
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 20:56   #20

Boat: Yankee 30'

there is a bonus of having AIS: something to keep the night watch entertained and alert . Kind of like the old english train spotting. Correlating the the visual with the electronic info, who goes where and how fast. I sailed the length of Med from Turkey to Gibraltar alone and the AIS was of great help. Of course, there were some fishing boats that did not transmit, but not many.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 02:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Planning to cruise Marathon to Daytona Beach. Thinking offshore because bridges on the ICW are a pain. Sailing most of the way. Staying close off shore saves miles but going out another 20 miles or so adds 2-3 kts to boat speed. However crossing commercial routes Miami, Port Everglades, etc make me concerned about commercial traffic. Do I really need to add an AIS receiver or just maintain focus particularly near ports? I figure that at 20-30 kt freighter speeds I will not have a lot of time to get clear.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wouldn't add AIS just for a 400 mile or so sail unless you are planning more offshore and have the dough then It's probably a good idea. I like it a lot and wouldn't send my kids out to play without it. At the minimum have a radar reflector as high up as possible, make sure your nav lights are working properly, VHF and good eyes on deck at all times. If you are planning on keeping this boat and sailing it more then AIS is a good investment. Enjoy your sail either way and sail safe.
Old 30-07-2017, 04:36   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Well I don't have AIS and in 10 months of coming down the US East coast to the Bahamas and back so far haven't seen in any reason to get it. I also think I only turned the radar on a few times and I would say I don't need that either. I do think you need standard working eyeballs and that you look around once in a while.
Old 30-07-2017, 05:06   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I agree with comments that AIS is very helpful for passage making. One other advantage is that you get to know the name of the other vessel. Without AIS I had little to no success getting ships to respond when I called them using its description and location, e.g. 'northbound container ship two miles west of whatever'. With AIS they always answer which is great when you want to discuss intentions. Worked great when we called a Maersk container ship that was in the process of running us down off the coast of Ecuador - and not paying any attention to either eyes or AIS/radar. A call resulted in an immediate and huge change of course by the overtaking ship.
Old 30-07-2017, 05:09   #24

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well I don't have AIS and in 10 months of coming down the US East coast to the Bahamas and back so far haven't seen in any reason to get it. I also think I only turned the radar on a few times and I would say I don't need that either. I do think you need standard working eyeballs and that you look around once in a while.
Wow 10 months to sail down the East Coast!
No offense intended but I can't help but think to make a statement like that you probably haven't been sailing for much longer.
Then probably most of your experience was in the ICW. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I will predict that with enough offshore experience enduring conditions that don't allow for "working eyeballs" you will either become a believer in Radar and AIS or just another statistic.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 05:17   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Planning to cruise Marathon to Daytona Beach. Thinking offshore because bridges on the ICW are a pain. Sailing most of the way. Staying close off shore saves miles but going out another 20 miles or so adds 2-3 kts to boat speed. However crossing commercial routes Miami, Port Everglades, etc make me concerned about commercial traffic. Do I really need to add an AIS receiver or just maintain focus particularly near ports? I figure that at 20-30 kt freighter speeds I will not have a lot of time to get clear.

An AIS transponder will cost $7-800 when you are done with all the accessories. Is it worth it? Yes if you plan on traveling. It is almost as important as having an up to date EPIRB.

But your planned route is dicey.

Take a look at the free AIS websites and look at the traffic from Miami to West Palm- especially on the weekend when cruise ships are turning over passengers. Taking the heart of the GS northbound can place you inside some heavy ship traffic from Miami to around Lake Worth Inlet/West Palm. While it is doable, it will require a vessel in very good shape and a competent team of at least 3.

A less demanding route would be to go 3-5 miles off, catch the edge of the GS and a 1-2kt current. This also lets you break the trip into long day trips. Marathon-Elliot, then Hillsboro Inlet, and Lake Worth Inlet. Once at West Palm you have a choice- outside or inside since the bridgeathon of SFL is behind you.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 05:32   #26

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm in the nice to have, but certainly not necessary. I've been sailing the Great Lakes and St. lawrence Seaway down through some of the busiest traffic zones in the world. I have an. AIS receiver, and while it has been useful at times, it is far from necessary. I'd much rather have radar (which I also have).

It's an excellent tool to have, but certainly not necessary.
Old 30-07-2017, 06:21   #27

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Interesting how most folks who don't have AIS claim not to need it, while folks who do usually consider it invaluable.

It makes sense that those who tend to scorn technology in general are happy with their decision not to buy an AIS unit.

But consider that most who bite the bullet and buy AIS find it either extremely useful or practically indispensable. I think that speaks to the value of having it, beyond just the tenor of one's relationship with technology.

When it comes to navigation, I'm a firm believer in "use everything you can." From lead-lines to radar to GPS to AIS. If it'll help keep me safe, I like it.

To me, the question becomes, why would you NOT want to use it?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 06:36   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Interesting how most folks who don't have AIS claim not to need it, while folks who do usually consider it invaluable.

It makes sense that those who tend to scorn technology in general are happy with their decision not to buy an AIS unit.

But consider that most who bite the bullet and buy AIS find it either extremely useful or practically indispensable. I think that speaks to the value of having it, beyond just the tenor of one's relationship with technology.

When it comes to navigation, I'm a firm believer in "use everything you can." From lead-lines to radar to GPS to AIS. If it'll help keep me safe, I like it.

To me, the question becomes, why would you NOT want to use it?
Yes, why wouldn't you? That's what always comes to my mind, I just don't get it, what's the downside? Is there any?
Old 30-07-2017, 06:44   #29
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

+1
I fully agree with CaptTom's pragmatic perpective.
Old 30-07-2017, 06:46   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Wow 10 months to sail down the East Coast!
No offense intended but I can't help but think to make a statement like that you probably haven't been sailing for much longer.
Then probably most of your experience was in the ICW. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I will predict that with enough offshore experience enduring conditions that don't allow for "working eyeballs" you will either become a believer in Radar and AIS or just another statistic.
You are so wrong it almost hurts. Do you have a winning arguement mixed in h re for why YOU need AIS?

Tags
ais