Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 06:49   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: How necessary is AIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Interesting how most folks who don't have AIS claim not to need it, while folks who do usually consider it invaluable.

It makes sense that those who tend to scorn technology in general are happy with their decision not to buy an AIS unit.

But consider that most who bite the bullet and buy AIS find it either extremely useful or practically indispensable. I think that speaks to the value of having it, beyond just the tenor of one's relationship with technology.

When it comes to navigation, I'm a firm believer in "use everything you can." From lead-lines to radar to GPS to AIS. If it'll help keep me safe, I like it.

To me, the question becomes, why would you NOT want to use it?
I'm a firm believer in that if someone spends $700 they most likely are going to justify it. Otherwise they have to admit to being foolish!
Old 30-07-2017, 06:54   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Yes, why wouldn't you? That's what always comes to my mind, I just don't get it, what's the downside? Is there any?
Really the only downside, is when people with AIS become complacent and treat it like a reliable radar. Not a good idea since many boats and ships don't use it.

Otherwise, it's not a bad idea to broadcast your presence to the BIG BOYS.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 07:55   #33

Boat: Valiant 42
How necessary is AIS?

The reason people who don't have AIS or radar don't think it is "necessary" is because their world ends at the limit of their eyesight. People who have AIS and radar know the situation many miles further out than anyone can see. They know from experience that collision avoidance is often done long before two pairs of Mark I eye balls can acquire their targets.

Can you survive without AIS? Yes. Do you make life easier for everyone else on the water if you have an AIS transponder? Yes. The transmit feature is as much for your fellow sailors as it is for you. The argument that "I" don't need AIS misses the point. It's more like "they" need you to have AIS. It's common courtesy and improves navigation safety for everyone.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 08:25   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Really the only downside, is when people with AIS become complacent and treat it like a reliable radar. Not a good idea since many boats and ships don't use it.

Otherwise, it's not a bad idea to broadcast your presence to the BIG BOYS.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 08:48   #35

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

AIS transponders can and are set up for alarms similar to Radar systems. I've been called at 2 AM by a cargo ship 25 miles away that would miss me by 10 miles as seen on my AIS... he just was bored and wanted to chat at 2 AM... if they can see you and you can see them in any weather, it's a win win situation.
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 09:16   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Whether or not you need AIS depends on what level of safety you want to go to sea.

For me being able to reach another vessel before you can read the name on the bow and making passing arrangements is extremely valuable. It confirms that they see you and it creates a game plan for avoiding a collision well ahead of time.

If you have a transceiver and they can see you well ahead of time, then all the better.

Don't think for a moment that they don't care if they hit you or not. Hitting another vessel can be a career ender in addition to the obvious reasons for not hitting another vessel. Having an AIS transponder gives them one more tool to avoid hitting you.

Yes, having an AIS is well worth it if your life and the life of others onboard is something that you value. No, AIS is not perfect, no sort of nav aid is perfect, but it is far better to have it than to not have it.

Some people live by the philosophy that is something is not perfect then it is not worth having. I disagree.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 13:45   #37

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Dave, the information you're getting is of course all over the map. But from my vantage point I will offer the following.

I started with a Standard Horizon VHF/AIS and while the radio is below at the nav desk the remote mic is at the helm and displays on the mic according to the range set. It also interfaces with your plotter to map AIS targets.

When I refit my new 12" plotter and 4G radar I also purchased a Vesper transponder. I've been a private pilot and flown since 1986. I appreciate the idea of see and be seen.

I am a singlehander and while offshore have no reservations about sleeping in the cockpit with alarms set on both radar and AIS. I also set a revolving 1hr. wake up alarm even though I rarely sleep more than 40 minutes while offshore.

If you're coming to Daytona I highly recommend Halifax Harbor Marina my home port.

Of course all that said it is true that nothing replaces a vigilant watch.
Old 30-07-2017, 13:53   #38

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

AIS ?
Yes, but....
After you have:
1) Radar Reflector
2) Radar
in that order.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 14:26   #39
cruiser

Radar reflectors are useless unless you buy a good one. The good ones look like this, the rest do nothing.
Attached Images

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 14:46   #40

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Radar reflectors are useless unless you buy a good one. The good ones look like this, the rest do nothing.
There was a report in the news some years ago about the radar cross section of various reflectors. It was reported that in laboratory conditions some reflectors performed poorly at certain angles of heel. One in particular that got hammered was a popular model called Blipper among others. Here is the report:

http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/...tor%20Test.pdf

They never said these were "useless". If you have one of the units criticized by the report I would not take it down in the mistaken belief that it doesn't work. They do work but there are newer units on the market today that work better. I wish there was another report on current models on the market today as this report is now 7 years old.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 15:43   #41

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
I really don't understand how any experienced offshore skipper could downplay the importance of AIS.
Yes there are the commercial fishing boats without AIS but that pales in comparison to having a ship with a 100 ft beam coming up your stern on those dark rainy nights.
It is very reassuring when you can call them and they respond by saying "we see you and will be taking your stern".
My vote is for an AIS transponder even if money is an issue, put it on your CC and pay the frigging interest.
The anxiety relief will give you a longer life.
Spot on.
Mahayana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 16:39   #42

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
I really don't understand how any experienced offshore skipper could downplay the importance of AIS.
Yes there are the commercial fishing boats without AIS but that pales in comparison to having a ship with a 100 ft beam coming up your stern on those dark rainy nights.
It is very reassuring when you can call them and they respond by saying "we see you and will be taking your stern".
My vote is for an AIS transponder even if money is an issue, put it on your CC and pay the frigging interest.
The anxiety relief will give you a longer life.
Caradow, in my best John McInroe voice, "You can't be serious!"

Why would anyone in their right mind pay INTEREST on a credit card? If you have a credit card and are anywhere near credit worthy your mailbox is weekly receiving offers from your present card carriers and those who want to be. Currently they are offering balance transfer or new card offers with Zero APR for a fixed period. Balance transfers have flat fees of 1-4% of the total but as a fixed amount it is much better than an APR. In fact I immediately trash all the 3-4% fee deals.

Now that said I made a living in the golf industry the past 10 years selling high value technology. My PGA Member audience used my "credit counseling" info to great advantage.

There's almost free money out there for responsible folks. And the most startling of the items I taught was about "Pay on presentation." I am the text book serial divorcee" "chapter 13" who used this method to reach an 800 credit beacon. It's a simple process. When your card statement drops into your email all you do is make an immediate payment tonight or tomorrow. Never a minimum. Try this as you monitor your credit scores for 12 months. Watch what happens.

Interest payments are for credit criminals!
Old 30-07-2017, 17:33   #43

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Just wanted to weigh in on two points:

1) True that if you spend big bucks on something "optional," you tend to become a proponent rather than admit it was a mistake. I can only speak for myself that buying a transceiver was no mistake. I bought it with very limited expectations and found that it's added immensely to my margin of safety.

2) Radar reflectors: I buy them from the commercial fishing store. Cheaper, and you know they work - that's how the fishermen find their gear! Not as attractive, I admit.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 17:57   #44

Boat: Rafiki 37

Fun... This discussion always turns the same way. AIS advocates praise the technology and put down anyone who suggests it is less than amazing as either a luddite or an idiot.

When those of us who actually travel in busy traffic zones say AIS is useful, but certainly not necessary and should not be fully relied on (the OP's question, I believe), we are further attacked as ignorant or selfish.

My personal view is that AIS appeals to the increasingly screen-driven, easy push-button world we all live in. Yes, AIS is a useful tool, but it has many limitations as well. Use it, but it's not the best thing since sliced bread. It's just another tool.
Old 30-07-2017, 21:20   #45

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Necessary, no. A good idea, yes. Consider it a safety supplement, not as a replacement for anything.

Tags
ais