Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2009, 15:58   #1

Boat: Nauticat 44
How Long Do I Have, Sailing?

Hi All
I am just trying to work out what the average age for retirement from sailing is. I know of people in their 80’s who are still sailing. This is not what I want to know. I am an average person so hopefully will be able to sail till I reach the average age. I will admit I intend to try and sail beyond my years then spend the rest of my days living on the boat tied up to the dock
marting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 16:06   #2

Boat: Boatless
I have a friend who is 78 who is cruising the Caribbean with a woman 25 yrs his junior... My crew for a Puerto Rico to Halifax Nova Scotia trip (1800 sea miles) averaged 66 yrs of age...I plan to sail until I am at least 75 but I might buy a roller furler for my 700 sq ft main when I am 70!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 16:07   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
You will sail till you get tired of it. For some this is a few years for others it's never. As you get older you just don't scamper up the rigging anymore. You pace yourself. I see this in myself every year. Slower but still doing it.
Old 26-10-2009, 16:53   #4

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Marting,
That's similer to the question, "How long do I plan on living". And then, after 51 pages and 600 post we all conclude that "it depends".
I know several who are cruising while in their eighties. I know some, who having started cruising at an early age, has determined after one year that cruisiers are a pack of fools and quit. We loose thousands of cruisiers everytime the stockmarket goes in the tank. The health of our family or our parents is another major concern.
Their are so many shoreside unknowns that control our lives that its a wonder we can go sailing.
If you can dodge all those landmines, then go cruising until it's not fun anymore. And enjoy every minute!
For one reason or another, I've quit at the age of 69, after living on my boat for 22 years and cruising for nine. It's was hard, but it was time. The transition to long pants, shirts, and shoes, and apartment living has developed into another adventure which has its own periods of enjoyment.
regards John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 17:10   #5

My question is more related to physical condition of my body not financial or family problems which may develop. I know that everyone is different and this will cause a fluctuation in the results. I was trying to ascertain the centre of the bell curve for this distribution. Average life expectancy type thing (4 score and 10) etc.

Old 26-10-2009, 17:30   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Only you know the physical condition of your body. How old are you? Smoke? Jog? Drink? Are your parents still alive? What's the longevity of your ancestors.
Some die of old age in their fifties while others live over 100 years.
If you're looking for an average age of cruisiers I'd say 59 1/2.
OK?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 17:44   #7

Thanks John
If that be the case I better start looking for the place I would like to tie my boat to the dock. I was hoping for a few more years
Old 26-10-2009, 18:07   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Not sure how much this helps, but..........

Me father is currently thinking about getting another sail boat (daysailing around the bay etc), but wants to keep his motorboat to use as a seasonal houseboat in France for "when he gets old". He's now 75

Although he has slowed down a bit, his "secret" is never stopping.......he's either got another week or another 25 years. or somewhere in between .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 18:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not sure how much this helps, but..........

Me father is currently thinking about getting another sail boat (daysailing around the bay etc), but wants to keep his motorboat to use as a seasonal houseboat in France for "when he gets old". He's now 75

Although he has slowed down a bit, his "secret" is never stopping.......he's either got another week or another 25 years. or somewhere in between .
Hi David
Best wishes to your father and may he have those 25 years and push that bell curve to its extremes
Old 26-10-2009, 19:03   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am an average person so hopefully will be able to sail till I reach the average age.
Average people don't sail at all - never started in the first place. If the goal is to be average then you have already made it - you don't sail. Clearly you, me, and everyone here can be more than we are today.

Average is what they say after you are dead and won't do any more. A good friend is selling his boat at 85. His wife is only 62 so I guess he has other items on the agenda. He gave up flying at 80. Sometimes you come to the idea that it's time to move on. Better to worry about that when the time comes. Based on what I have seen - you'll know when it's time.

We had a local man that completed his first solo RTW trip at 60 something. Got half way and figured it was easier to keep going than to turn back. He took tens years. He started off again and completed the second trip at 89 and took 20 years. Few people really know what they can't do. When you get too sure then it's time to quit.

If you need a record to strive for, I would go for beating the guy that took 20 years to complete the trip. If I thought I could do it in 30 years I would be gone in the morning.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 20:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Average people don't sail at all - never started in the first place. If the goal is to be average then you have already made it - you don't sail. Clearly you, me, and everyone here can be more than we are today.

Average is what they say after you are dead and won't do any more. A good friend is selling his boat at 85. His wife is only 62 so I guess he has other items on the agenda. He gave up flying at 80. Sometimes you come to the idea that it's time to move on. Better to worry about that when the time comes. Based on what I have seen - you'll know when it's time.

We had a local man that completed his first solo RTW trip at 60 something. Got half way and figured it was easier to keep going than to turn back. He took tens years. He started off again and completed the second trip at 89 and took 20 years. Few people really know what they can't do. When you get too sure then it's time to quit.

If you need a record to strive for, I would go for beating the guy that took 20 years to complete the trip. If I thought I could do it in 30 years I would be gone in the morning.
It is average person who will do extraordinary things when it is unexpected which makes heroes. I would not consider myself better than these people
Old 26-10-2009, 21:06   #12

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
1. Life is an adventure, live it to the fullest!

2. Age is nothing more than a chronologicial indicator of experience gained to deal with lifes daily challenges!

3. Attitude is the fuel that takes you from one adventure to the next, and we all know what happens when we run out of fuel!

Don't concern yourself with the average. Concern yourself with your interests and passions.

I'm 62 and have been shot, shot down, hit by shrapnel had both knees replaced by ones built in a factory. I'm currently fitting out Semper Fi, an Ingrid 38 for the adventure of a lifetime, a solo non-stop circumnavigation. And yes, I'm old enough and experienced enough to be out there by myself, I even have the permission of my wife of 42 years.

So grab life by the horns, and hold on.
04 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 21:54   #13

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 Marine View Post
1. Life is an adventure, live it to the fullest!

2. Age is nothing more than a chronologicial indicator of experience gained to deal with lifes daily challenges!

3. Attitude is the fuel that takes you from one adventure to the next, and we all know what happens when we run out of fuel!

Don't concern yourself with the average. Concern yourself with your interests and passions.

I'm 62 and have been shot, shot down, hit by shrapnel had both knees replaced by ones built in a factory. I'm currently fitting out Semper Fi, an Ingrid 38 for the adventure of a lifetime, a solo non-stop circumnavigation. And yes, I'm old enough and experienced enough to be out there by myself, I even have the permission of my wife of 42 years.

So grab life by the horns, and hold on.
Put up a website so that I can follow your adventure.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 06:10   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
I heard somewhere that the Good Lord does not deduct days spent sailing from one's Lifespan.......T
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 08:24   #15

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
My goal is to LIVE until the day I die.... not just be alive until I die.

I'll sail / Cruise until I don't have fun doing it... then find something that is fun... If the fun in Cruising ever does end which is hard to consider possible at this point!