Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2020, 08:51   #31

Re: How Big Is Too Big to Singlehand ?

I regularly see boats in the 40-50 ft range being single handed by hobby sailors.
On the go, autopilot makes everything easy, and even lazy with a rolling main and self-tacking jib.
On the dock, bow thrusters gets handy, and I being able to quickly jump on the dock and fasten lines is an asset. One may also ask help to the harbour office on VHF
Franck Bavaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 11:17   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

Boats up to about 100' are sailed by single-handers (I think Banque Populaire is actually longer than 100 feet).

IMOCAs loaded are about 8 tonnes. So I would not go beyond this - if I were a young and very fit person.

So ... scale it all up to your fitness level and experience.

I find boats up to about 35' very easy to handle. Boat 35 to 50' - all depends on which boat it is.

When the boat is bigger than 50' or heavier than about 10 tons, I prefer sailing with one crew.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 21:13   #33

Boat: Island Packet 29

I know this is an old thread, but the answer is "How much boat can you handle by yourself when it all goes wrong?"

If your batteries fry in that 50' boat, you're in trouble. You won't be able to handle the sails. If it's a 28', nothing changes.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 21:27   #34

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck Bavaria View Post
I regularly see boats in the 40-50 ft range being single handed by hobby sailors.
On the go, autopilot makes everything easy, and even lazy with a rolling main and self-tacking jib.
On the dock, bow thrusters gets handy, and I being able to quickly jump on the dock and fasten lines is an asset. One may also ask help to the harbour office on VHF
Many boats, some quite large, are successfully single handed, so there is not really an upper limit, and that's fine when all is going well. It's when something goes wrong and the problems cascade that you get into trouble, and that can happen on quite small vessels. I know I could sail my 43's sloop by myself, if all was going well, but if I'm approaching a lee shore and a sheet get fouled on a tack, and time is critical, I know I could get into trouble.
Old 02-08-2020, 00:22   #35

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck Bavaria View Post
Based on the pin ball docking I’ve seen charter “captains” do, I’m concerned with getting my USCG license, I wouldn’t want by un scratched hobby capt to become a professional capt crunch
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:58   #36

Boat: Island Packet 40

I would not go above 40' for boat handling reasons or less than 36' for live aboard purposes.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote