Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 21:40   #16

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Some gear is a tough tradeoff,do I buy an expensive heavy watermaker ,or carry 4 or 5 extra water jugs.Each have advantages,same with spares,which ones,how many?I have been removing things like microwaves,and so on.Thats why it is suggested less than 30ft.cant carry enough stores for long trips.Budget,space and weight are typical determining factors.An advantage to solo sailing is less weight loaded onto boat.Wasnt long ago that an engine was considered a luxury an a sailing vessel.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 22:22   #17

Location: aboard our boat and summer in beautiful Kye Bay Comox BC Canada
Boat: 78 Cooper Ketch 40 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to luepetri
So great ful for this thread

So useful to us as we are planning our adventure that hopefully will begin next spring.
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:01   #18

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When I decided to sail around the world, I ordered a new Privilege 39 catamaran from the factory and had it shipped to Florida where it sat until I quit my job in Arabia.

When I left Arabia and moved on board Exit Only, I spent four months outfitting the yacht with gear and upgrades, and then I set sail. I actually only sailed Exit Only six times before we left for our circumnavigation.

I was fortunate to have a well-constructed yacht that didn't have any issues. Since we were one of the last of the Privilege 39 yachts built, they had corrected any design issues that might have been present by the time they built Exit Only.

It was easy to prepare to sail because we had a new yacht and our projects were few.

Here's what we did to our catamaran:

SSB radio
GPS installation
Running backstays
Racor inline fuel filters
Solar Panels
Life Raft
Dinghy
Outboard motor
Radar
Lightning static electric dissipators at masthead
Parachute sea anchor
Back up anchors
Eprib and go bag
Watermaker
Books and Personal items

I wouldn't recommend that everyone do it the way we did. I suspect that we were lucky to have a seaworth catamaran that took care of us while we were learning. We also had a good design that didn't have voyage stopping problems.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 02:48   #19

Yeesh!

I'm doing a gonzo clean out of our CSY 33 right now and pulled EVERYTHING out of the boat and I'm amazed a how much stuff I never used, didn't remember was there, or have 3 of in another part of the boat. I must have pulled out a 1,000 lbs of stuff from the boat. I raised my waterline a few inches that day!

Now to sort, scrap, and organize before repacking the boat.
Old 15-10-2008, 18:27   #20

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcdowell View Post
Yeesh!

I'm doing a gonzo clean out of our CSY 33 right now and pulled EVERYTHING out of the boat and I'm amazed a how much stuff I never used, didn't remember was there, or have 3 of in another part of the boat. I must have pulled out a 1,000 lbs of stuff from the boat. I raised my waterline a few inches that day!

Now to sort, scrap, and organize before repacking the boat.

Maybe a list of all those items that were loaded because they were needed (but not) would be useful to us "first timers".

If I ever get the chance of course...........
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 19:52   #21

Here's a few of the things I recently took off the boat:
  • 2 raw water strainers (back ups)
  • manual start handle
  • 35 pounds of hand tools (about half will eventually go back)
  • 2 electric drills, 2 sanders, circular saw, grinder
  • 1 large duffel of books, but knowing me at least as many will make their way back aboard next year
  • 6 bags of unused groceries.
  • unusable genoa, sticks and blades and sails for sailing dinghy.
  • A half-dozen cans of paint/varnish/thinner/acetone/etc. (Forgot the bag of brushes and stuff.)
Sadly, I have about twice this much junk to get off the boat before winter storage. I want to sort through all my back ups and spares this fall too.

Next spring I want the boat to be lean and light, and only what has earned its place being still on board.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 20:35   #22

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Maybe a list of all those items that were loaded because they were needed (but not) would be useful to us "first timers". ..
Before I started on our circumnavigation, I spent several thousand dollars on spare parts for my Yanmar 3GM30 engines.

The only spare parts I used were one salt water pump, multiple salt water pump impellers, drive belts, and Balmar Alternators.

Later on I replaced the exhaust elbows two times.

All of my other engine spares remained in deep storage and weren't ever used.

The Yanmar engines were so reliable and trouble free on Exit Only that next time I sail, I will just take the spares that I used the first time around, and I will DHL in any other spares needed.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 22:00   #23

Boat: Leopard 46, The Selkirk Grace
Thumbs up Prepared or Overprepared?

I certainly agree that being "paralyzed by preparation" is to be avoided. It kills most people's enjoyment of sailing. Having said that, my list and Dave's are the same (except for the long range Wifi Connection for Internet access near shore that is definitely on my list). Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. - Products

The one thing however not on either of our lists (probably because we think we already have it) is experience on OUR boat and general sailing experience or training. IMHO this is more important than all of the spare parts you can possibly carry. Gord's comments track exactly. Prepared, yes, over prepared no way. If you have not already read the Triton post, I recommend it. Tritons at sea Rob is definitely the "detailed type," but how he solves his problems are a good illustration to any cruiser.

So, IMHO 1.) know your boat, 2.) know your course and what to expect, 3.) gather your list together and head out.

Chip
SelkirkWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 17:31   #24

Boat: CSY 44' Grace
Cruising 101 - My thoughts

See attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruising 101.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	5635