Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2020, 13:42   #1

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II
Head Y Valve Hose Removal - HELP!!

Hi All:

The head's Y valve on my 19 year old sloop has died, and I am ready to replace it. But getting the hoses off the old (dead) one has proven to be quite problematic. I am confident they have been there for years.

Any ideas on how to remove them? For some reason I think I remember that softening them with a hair dryer is one option, but I may be mistaken. Your input is (desperately) requested. Thank you in advance for providing it.

Ron
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 13:48   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Head Y Valve Hose Removal - HELP!!

I would cut and replace them, you’re going to surprised/horrified at how much buildup there will be. If not heat and channel locks work. Twist first to break the bond then pull, try not to tear the hose.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 13:50   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Cut/grind them off, clean up all the thruhulls or connections, and replace. If the hoses are the age of the boat, it's definitely time to replace and you might as well since you're in there ripping the Y valve out.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 13:56   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I agree on replacement just due to the hose age. Don't skimp on the quality of the new hose - go for a good sanitation grade hose.

Replacing has the added benefit of allowing you to cut the old hoses off. You may have to make a cut parallel to the hose at the Y-valve barb to get the hose off. If that barb is plastic be very careful with this cut to not score the barb. Heat will also help.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 14:03   #5

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

Cut out the old smelly hose and replace with :

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...583&id=3057989

You can bend this stuff into a figure 8
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 14:38   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42 CC

I agree with all of these recommendations to replace the hoses too. I just re-plumbed my head and found it's a lot easier to cut the old hose off and replace it. On another occasion I used a blow drier to heat up the hose to remove it. I could never get it to seal tightly after that.
I replaced my hoses with the Raritan SaniFlex and can fully recommend it. I also agree Defender seems to have the best price. Also, Jabsco Y-Valves are very good in that they can be disassembled for cleaning.
Do a little research on the reaction of urine and salt water and you will discover that your old 1-1/2" hose has been reduced to less than an inch of inside diameter due to the chloride crystalline (something like that) build up. Assuming you have a salt water flushing head.
Finally, double clamp with high grade marine stainless steel hose clamps.
Sorry this may increase the scope of your project, but I think you will find it worth it....especially after you discover what lurks inside that old hose. Wrestling off a sanitation hose, trying to save it, is one of the most "sailor talking" provoking tasks you can take on.
Gene
CrossWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 14:50   #7

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Cut rip and replace. Don’t reuse anything.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 14:53   #8

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

You think getting them off it tough, wait till you try to put the new ones on.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 19:34   #9

Location: Cambridge Md, on the eastern shore of the chesapeake Bay
Boat: 198 carolina skiff

Good point Tetepara , you can warm the hoses in a pot of water to ease installation, make sure you use good clamps !
khoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 22:11   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just so's this is recorded somewhere. We learned last year that Y valves characteristically leak. If it is a downhill run from it to your holding tank, some leakage occurs "normally." (Gravity being something we think of as normal. If you've never used the holding tank, it will still fill up, and it can come as a surprise to you.

Once you're finished being surprised, you can pressurize the tank and the effluent will come out. Be glad you only have to do this if the tank has not regularly been pumped out. This comes as a surprise only to those who do not normally use their holding tank.

Ann
Old 23-04-2020, 09:56   #11

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Yes. I just restored my marine head, replacing all of the hoses with non-wired hose and couldn’t believe how occluded they were. Head hadn’t been used in over ten years and no odor. Next time I’ll go composting head.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:01   #12

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

You need to replace the hoses-cut as described. They will be hard as a rock. For newer hoses-water, sanitation, engine, AC, JUDICIOUS use of a heat gun coupled with a Radiator hose hook ($5 at auto Stores Amazon, Harbour freight) is an invaluable tool to have aboard. Slip the tip between the hose & barbs, work the hook circumferentially around nipple keeping hook parallel to the hose. Works on small & large hoses like magic
Old 23-04-2020, 10:07   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

When cutting off old hose you must be careful not to cut into the hose barb on any fittings you want to keep. A hair dryer or better yet, a heat gun for paint stripping works well. You can also boil water and pour it over the fitting if you want to save the hose. I use a teapot.

But, as others have said 19 years is a long time for head hoses and they should be replaced. Also, the conical Y valves don't leak. https://www.defender.com/product3.js...4265&id=150974 But they do get stuck in position is left one way for a long time and need to be disassembled to get working again.

PS. If you use a heat gun be very careful with it. They get much hotter than a hair dryer and can burn things that the business end touches.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:13   #14

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

PVC pipe and fitting's are cheap and have no Oder issue's, i re plumed my new head, Electroscan, and holding tank with PVC valve, ect., have only a short hose from the piping to the toilet, so i can move said toilet for maintenance.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:51   #15

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I will further the comments about replacing the hoses. I just did mine. I used a Milwaukee heat gun (on low) to help get the ends off the fittings. What also helps is an automotive radiator hose removal tool. It looks something like a screwdriver, but with the working end at 90 degrees and pointy. With these two tools the hoses came off relatively easily so I could measure and replace.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, removal