Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2018, 06:24   #61

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982
Re: Grumpy ICW Bridge Tender

Each bridge has a telephone , If they will not answer a VHF call the local Coast Guard on your VHF, they will answer . Tell them your bridge and situation and they will call the bridge tender and your bridge will quickly start to move. !
Now in florida that Towns have taken control of bridge opening schedules . On demand is a thing of the past ! But if the bridge tender falls asleep watching the baseball game Just call the your local Coast Guard ! Ask me how I know !!!!!
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 06:48   #62

Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch
Re: Grumpy ICW Bridge Tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
Well, I may be opening a can of worms here, but I run a bridge. Many folks think its easy, and it is, but there can be excruciatingly frustrating aspects to it.EXAMPLES:

1. Boaters that do not listen to the radio(info theyre requesting has just been provided), they switch to 13. and IMMEDIATELY key the mic . this causes them to constantly repeat themselves for the entire shift on a busy day...It could piss off the pope, believe me.

2 boaters that call from greater than 10 minutes away expecting a "reservation" It doesnt work that way, the CG understands that when u request an opening the "Clock" begins when you arrive at the bridge Not 30 minutes before you arrive. The river I work on has a lot of "transitory" traffic, so we try to be sympathetic to the folks that dont understand our processes.
I understand theyre a little different everywhere.
It doesnt do you any good to call from a half hour away , but rather creates yet another interruption for the operator.

3.people who put their children on the radio(Try to have some sense of professionalism)

4. In my case, we open between every train , unless there are 2 or 3 in the block(adjacent area) if they are more spaced out, I may be able to give a quick opening. I may see a sailboat right there, but hes not responding to the radio when i ask him to transition with no delays so as not to delay 300 people on a train who are each paying 300/ticket and want to see their families and friends on a holiday weekend. more frustration for BOTH of us there. cause hes gonna wait cause he dont wanna listen to his radio

5 oh, heres another one. the guy who calls 10 times and his volume's all the way down

6. In my case-I may have to close up in a moments notice so as not to delay a train . obviously ill blow 5 longs, and I will reach out on 13 -ya know what percentage come back ? about 5% respond---listening to the radio goes a long way.

7.. and many folks dont understand that i CANT unlock the bridge..its unlocked remotely by the dispatcher. so what then if hes gone to the head and decides to grab some lunch. im powerless to let u through. further frustration...

Just sayin!-sure there are plenty of us who are idiots- perhaps ive been one at times, we all have a bad day, and we all have our limits. each time i key the mic i ask myself" am i being professional, courteous and helpful"?

we're her for you, but remember the spirit of cooperation.

whhooooo, ive been wanting to say that for years!, Best, Tantrum
OUTSTANDING - THANKS FOR SAYING THAT.
I just did a run down the ICW and I screwed a call as I forgot the bridge was 500 yds after the lock - my bad and I tried to be apologetic, but he was probably not very happy with me and his attitude showed it - fair enough, you guys deal with all sorts of yahoos every day thinking we're all special on our boats - I agree we need to be more professional on the mike, both sides and take into consideration the constraints you're under as well.
For the 15 other bridge tenders, you guys were polite and super nice, which made for a really pleasant run down the ditch.
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
svMarite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, rum, tender