Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 07:27   #1

Boat: Maquit, cruiser/racer, 39ft
Greetings from the Netherlands! Need advice in Ft. Lauderdale

Greetings to all fellows sailors from the Netherlands!

I am new here but have plenty of sailing experience, for several years in the past I was a Captain of my own charter business on my previous sail boat “Loveda” near Barcelona in Spain.

3 years ago I bought my “dream boat” – it’s rather a project, lots of work still needs to be done. She was build in 1963 and was intended for the Bermuda race.
She is really a very beautiful and fast boat - 39 ft sloop made by Maquit.

But because of personal circumstances I’ve been delaying this big dream of my life - to have a cruising lifestyle and maybe end up in DR in the future.
But I finally did it - got my stuff together, now shipping to Ft. Lauderdale a nice dinghy with engine, new engine for my boat “Jezebel”, generator, power tools, etc. I’ve already booked my flight and will arrive to Miami on April 5th this year, of course.
My boat is at the moment located in Ft. Lauderdale at a private dock nearby 1131-6 SW 9 ave. (that’s where I’ve bought it and visited her only once since)

So, I am still new to the area and don’t know anybody in Ft. Lauderdale to whom I can turn for an advice and maybe even help.
I am looking now for an affordable dry dock in Ft Lauderdale – place where I can Do-It-Myself I am quite experienced myself in every kind of boat works/fixing – mechanical, electrical, etc. and would be glad to offer my best service to anyone who needs - in gratitude for your help and advice.
I intend to tow her with my dinghy to the nearest Marina by myself. (Maybe one of you can give me a hand with that?) or maybe advice me about affordable boat tow service in Ft.Lauderdale.
As far as a dry dock amenities, I’ve found only these places: banyanbaymarina, aamcmarina and ilovemymarina.

Basically I am looking for a cheap marina with a dry dock in Ft Lauderdale – DIY.
Any one knows of a better place maybe? I would really appreciate your advice. Due to all recent huge expenses and travel costs, my budget is getting kind of low.

Above mentioned marinas don’t offer “live-a-board”, so I would like to ask if any of you - who lives in Ft. Lauderdale can advice me of affordable hotel or maybe offer me a short-term stay (maybe a week) at you place, whatever it is – your boat, house, or just putting my tent in your backyard - for moderate price or in exchange for my services. (My hobby besides sailing - is rebuilding/restoration of antique cars and houses’ renovation (it was my business actually) Yes, I have a lot of expertise in all kinds of repairs and I am highly regarded by people (and customers) in my country for multiple skills and quality of work).

I look so much forward to this big change in my life and joining this happy and such friendly sailing community!  I would greatly appreciate any advice and/or help from any one of you.

There is still some work to be done before I start cruising live-aboard lifestyle, but as soon as I have my boat on dry dock, I can do it myself in short time.
There is not anymore an engine in it, so I need to:
-Install the engine
-a dry dock lift the boat for
-cleaning underwater hull
-new anti fouling
-check/replace thru-hull mushrooms valves
-check/repair rudder construction
-check/repair prob-shaft bearing
Pending technical condition I estimate 7 day's work. And then – just sail away to Dominican Republic, maybe cruising the Caribbean and further… I also hope to make new friends here and meet a lot of great people.

I would be very grateful for any advice or help.
Kindest regards,
Chackey
Chacko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Netherlands