Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 11:59   #1

Boat: Maquit, cruiser/racer, 39ft
Question Need an advice or help in Ft. Lauderdale

Hi to all fellows sailors!

My name is Chacko (English version for easier pronunciation LOL) and I'm from the Netherlands.

3 years ago I bought my “dream boat” – it’s rather a project, lots of work still needs to be done. She was built in 1963 and was intended for the Bermuda race.
She is really a very beautiful and fast boat - 39 ft sloop made by Maquit.

But my own procrastination and other personal circumstances delayed this big dream of my life - to have a cruising lifestyle and maybe end up in DR in the future.
But I finally did it - got my stuff together, now shipping to Ft. Lauderdale a nice dinghy, new engine for my boat “Jezebel”, generator, power tools, etc. I’ve already booked my flight and will arrive in Miami on April 5th this year, of course.
My boat is at the moment located in Ft. Lauderdale at a private dock nearby 1131-6 SW 9 ave. (that’s where I’ve bought it and visited her only once since)

So, I am still new to the area and don’t know anybody in Ft. Lauderdale to whom I can turn for an advice and maybe even help.

I am looking now for an affordable dry dock in Ft Lauderdale – place where I can Do-It-Myself I am quite experienced myself in every kind of boat works/fixing – mechanical, electrical, etc. and would be glad to offer my best service to anyone who needs - in gratitude for your help and advice.
I intend to tow her with my dinghy to the nearest Marina by myself. (Maybe one of you can give me a hand with that?) or maybe advice me about affordable boat tow service in Ft.Lauderdale.
As far as a dry dock amenities, I’ve found only these places:
Banyan Bay Marine Center - a Full Service Marina - Rates
Diy – Do It Yourself | Anglers Avenue Marine Center | Fort Lauderdale Marina
Amenities at our Marina in Ft. Lauderdale - Hurricane Boat Storage | Marina Road Boat Yard

Basically, I am looking for a cheap marina with a dry dock in Ft Lauderdale – DIY.
Anyone knows of a better place maybe? I would really appreciate your advice. Due to all recent huge expenses and travel costs, my budget is getting kind of low.

Above marinas don’t offer “liveaboard”, so I would like to ask if any of you - who lives in Ft. Lauderdale can offer me a short-term stay (maybe a week) at you place, whatever it is – your boat, house, or just putting my tent in your backyard - for moderate price or in exchange for my services.

I have plenty of sailing experience – for several years in the past I was a Captain of my own charter business on my previous sailboat “Loveda” near Barcelona in Spain. My hobby besides sailing - is rebuilding/restoration of antique cars and houses’ renovation (it was my business actually) Yes, I have a lot of expertise in all kinds of repairs and I am highly regarded by people (and customers) in my country
for multiple skills and quality of work.

I look so much forward to this big change in my life and joining this happy and so friendly sailing community! J I would greatly appreciate any advice and/or help from any of you.

There is still some work to be done before I start cruising live-aboard lifestyle, but as soon as I have my boat on the dry dock, I can do it myself in short time.
There is not anymore an engine in it, so I need to:
-Install the engine
-a dry dock lift the boat for
-cleaning underwater hull
-new anti fouling
-check/replace thru-hull mushrooms valves
-check/repair rudder construction
-check/repair prob-shaft bearing
Pending technical condition I estimate 7 day's work. And then – just sail away to the Dominican Republic, maybe cruising the Caribbeans and further…

I would be very grateful for any advice or help.
Kindest regards,
Chackey
Chacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 08:21   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Re: Need an advice or help in Ft. Lauderdale

Did you ever find a marina in Fort Lauderdale? I'm looking for one just for the last few days of April and the whole month of May. Possibly the first week or so of June, as well. Looking for a slip for a 40-foot monohull with a 6.7 draft.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Chackey, I'd advise some additional research. I believe all three of the marine facilities that you have listed are in the Dania Cut-off Canal and beyond low fixed bridges. If your mast is stepped, these may not be available for your, In addition, these marinas are in Dania and would require raising about half a dozen bridges and towing through the Port Everglades turning basin. This is not advisable as a dinghy towed vessel.
Old 22-03-2017, 12:16   #4

I'm hauling out at Playboy Marine in a couple of weeks for bottom paint. They're the cheapest I've been able to find and it's DIY. It's on the Dania Cut-off before you get to any bridges.

Jimmy Buffett
Captaink73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:35   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Nothing in lauderdale is cheap and few if any DIY boat yards. Highly suggest getting what you have to have to get done and get further north to some cheaper areas, like Fort Pierce or Stuart or up the okeechobee to indiantown marina/yard.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 21:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

I'd agree with Kent, take her farther north. You'll find much cheaper yard and haul out rates. I'd check with Murrelle Marine in Lantana.

Murrelle Marine
jjmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 06:35   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

"further north" doesn't cost less when you need to have a boat with no engine towed.

Chackey, consider the boat yards that are further up the New River and closest to your current location, like Summerfield. Can your clearance allow you passage under the 55' fixed bridges a I-95?

Edit: I just noticed that the Summerfield Boat Yard is now closed.
Old 23-03-2017, 09:10   #8

Boat: Boatless

Playboy is going to be your best bet. Anglers DIY yard is for small motorboats. I think there's one sailboat in there, but he may have been trucked in. A lot of DIY people head to Ft. Pierce or Indiantown. Ft. Pierce is big city enough to get what you need without a 45 minute ride "into town"

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 09:30   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
Playboy is going to be your best bet............
I think fishin4bogey has the best advice for the boat yard, but still a substantial tow. 'about 6 bridges to open and through the port turning basin from your location,- be careful!
Old 23-03-2017, 11:37   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
Playboy is going to be your best bet. Anglers DIY yard is for small motorboats. I think there's one sailboat in there, but he may have been trucked in. A lot of DIY people head to Ft. Pierce or Indiantown. Ft. Pierce is big city enough to get what you need without a 45 minute ride "into town"

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I believe, but not 100% sure, that Playboy require insurance for hauling out.
Check it first before you book.
Another yard across the Dania Cut Off canal does not.

As for a place to stay while in Fort Lauderdale, check out these guys: You can rent a room for about half the price of a hotel. http://www.smartmovecrew.com/
I had a crew house myself and used these people to help me get tenants, mostly yacht crews with a boat in the yard, or crews going to school to upgrade their tickets.
Search for a studio or efficiency (small apaprtment or room)
Nothing is cheap in Fort Lauderdale, wrong town for being on a tight budget and outfitting a boat.

Lots of towing services, start with Tow Boat US, Sea Tow, etc, but also smaller and cheaper companies.
Could not figure out your address, but if you are up the New River, bridges and strong currents sometimes mandate 2 towboats, one off the bow and off the stern.
If your boat is narrow, they could maybe do a hip tow.
To try with a dinghy it needs minimum 25 HP and do it at 04:00 on a slack tide and with a working radio to call ahead to the bridges and have them open before you get close.
Either way it will take an hour and a half to get up the Dania canal.