Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2024, 06:40   #1

Boat: Baba 40
FSK Bridge (Baltimore) disaster

I was planning to bring a sailboat south from Baltimore’s Inner Harbor in a few weeks, but with the recent collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, that plan has been shaken up a bit.

Obviously clearing the bridge under the span center is out of the question, but I’m looking for local info on possibly squeaking through under the spans that remain once the authorities have released the area.

TIA
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 08:38   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: FSK Bridge (Baltimore) disaster

My guess would be they will clear the main channel first and I wouldn't be surprised if you could pass through there in a few weeks.
Old 27-03-2024, 10:53   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Just noticed this as published by Waterway Guide:
Quote:
Effective immediately a safety zone is established for all navigable waters of the Chesapeake Bay within a 2000-yard radius of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. The 948-foot Singapore-flagged vessel DALI struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge on March 26, 2024.

The safety zone is intended to protect personnel, vessels, and the marine environment in these navigable waters. No vessel or person will be permitted to enter the safety zone without obtaining permission from the Captain of the Port (COTP) or a designated representative. The COTP is currently issuing a Broadcast Notice to Mariners (BNM) via VHF-FM marine channel 16. Mariners are requested to monitor the VHF channel 16 for the latest information. You may not enter the safety zone described above unless authorized by the COTP or the COTP's designated representative. To seek permission to enter, contact the COTP or the COTP's representative by telephone at (410) 576–2525 or on Marine Band Radio VHF–FM channel 16 (156.8 MHz). Those in the safety zone must comply with all lawful orders or directions given to them by the COTP or the COTP's designated representative. The U.S. Coast Guard may be assisted in the patrol and enforcement of the safety zone by Federal, State, and local agencies. If you have any questions regarding the contents of this bulletin, please contact the Command Center at (410) 576-2525, or via email at d05-smb-sectormd-ncr-scc@uscg.mil.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:00   #4

Boat: Moody 34

Baltimore is a no go until further notice. I had a slip reserved for an arrival the morning of the accident. They have a shallow draft channel opened up for essential traffic only. As far as cruisers, it’ll be some time before they get the main channel opened up. They are slowly making progress. My guess is a month to three months before we’re allowed to enter the harbor.

I’m currently in St. Michaels. Annapolis is another great alternative. There is also Kent Narrows and Rockhall as alternatives. Rockhall is the closes to Baltimore, just on the other side of the bay, if you are looking for temporary morning. Annapolis is a little on the pricey side.

I hope this helps. Baltimore is a tragedy and if there was anything I could do to help them, I would. The Army Corp of Engineers is working round the clock to get the channel opened up. It’ll be years before the bridge is reopened to cars and trucks.
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 19:44   #5

Boat: Moody 34

Good news! They opened a second channel under the western on-ramp with a depth of 14’. They’ll have the main shipping channel open with a depth of 35’ fairly soon.

Getting recreation boats back into the harbor will be great for Baltimore’s spirit.

https://youtu.be/UXZEa5u3YFU?si=Nc9rmPL2O9reJUAL
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore