Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2012, 01:45   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Forum users in the industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Minaret,

Those Nordhavens are one rugged little cruiser.

Little?! LOL, only a merchant mariner would say that. Most seem to think of them as behemoths. They sure are well built though, I like 'em-for a stinkpot.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 01:45   #17

No none of the above.I work in the most popular area of the ship,the galley which involves keeping everyones bulbous bows topped off,and agreeing with the officers,engineers,and deck crowd that indeed everyone on the ship apart from my good self and the person currently complaining are a mob of incompetent no hopers who wouldnt know their arse from their elbow!We went into Tauranga about a month ago and saw the remains of the Rena which as your photo well shows is not a pretty sight.She had only just broken in two so there was a lot of containers floating about,ropes etc which made for a very cautious entry to the harbour.Were she went up is just off one of the most popular beachs in NZ which is a bit unfortunate as nothing ruins a summer bbq as much as a container of rotting meat bobbing in the surf!
bigdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 01:54   #18

Boat: too many

Bigdog5,

You got the most important gig on the ship. Not my union (MM&P), but the deck's union, still calls the shots, and that is along with the regular chef, there must also be a pastry chef, and as you know, the manning of container ships is all of 24 souls. I'm not complaining, love those sweets.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 02:20   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Forum users in the industry

Formerly Royal Navy... Seaman TAS(torpedo anti-submarine)...
15+ years shore jobs then got into sailing and being a beach bum...
Current occupation... ??
sailing OP's boats for a consideration..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 08:06   #20

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Forum Users in the Industry

I have been an active boater for over 50 years, currently have lived aboard and cruised extensively for 20 years and tens of thousands of miles with my wife Susan. Susan was the former Editor for Waterway Guide and I was General Manager. We left Waterway Guide last may and now live on our trawler in Naples, Florida. Both Susan and I have been freelance writers for over 15 years and we have been published in almost every major boating publication. Susan has a current article coming up in Cruising World and I have recently had several articles published in Good Old Boat. I currently work for Marinalife and write for their magazine. I have also set up the new Marinalife Navigational Notices that are sent out to Marinalife boating members and registered members of our website. I have been a marina manager in the Florida Keys and the Chesapeake, and owned my own brokerage business on the Chesapeake for several years. The brokerage business also operated a charter fleet and a full service department. I have about 30 years experience as a marine service technician, primarily in electrical and electronics. Phew, and I have been involved in management, sales, sales training, marketing and promotion for more years than I would like to think about.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 08:19   #21

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I quit posting pics of jobs from the yard because there wasn't much interest, but here's my old thread with some pics if anyones interested.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-67680.html
I liked that thread, it's cool to see how repairs that extensive and high quality are done - I think people just didn't want to clutter it up with "Wow" and "Neat" type comments.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 08:34   #22

You guys that have been in the navy (regardless of nation), how did you feel in the transition to the "real" merchant marine fleet (upper tonnage, long hauls, etc).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 08:59   #23

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Recreational back to "62" but helped around the boatyard caulking the Jersey Sea Skiffs and misc other work. Aboard my 3rd liveaboard.

1977-1999 USCG shipbard helo pilot (Arctic to Antarctic and a lot in between)
1999-2003 Marine Electronic firm sales/techie/installer
2000-2003 MARINE MAX delivery/instructional captain and general tech 2003 to present - Assistance tower/fleet mech/techie
2000 to present - Delivery Captain (own business)
2000-2012 - NJ Boating Safety Instructor USCG Capt License Instructor 2003-2006 - (up to 200T Masters/Towing)
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 09:33   #24

Boat: CS 36t

I worked parts of 9 years on schooners and in a shipyard working on wooden boats from 50-100'.

I got out of it a few years ago so that I could be home more with my fiance. My job now is designing industrial compressors and expanders which is similar to designing diesel engines. I have kept my captain's license current in hopes of someday finding an intellectually challenging job on the water that allows me to come home at night.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 09:43   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Most of you folks have seen my posts and know what I'm about. Still fixin' stuff on boats in the PNW...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:10   #26

Where's Craig from Rocna...

:whistle:
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:34   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Charter captain (USCG 100-ton), sailing instructor (ASA), instructor evaluator (ASA). Used to do deliveries, but not much any more (too much like work!).

View from my "office":
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7080013.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	37440  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 13:08   #28

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Hydrodynamics engineer in a naval shipbuilding company, a large part of my work is about sea trials for nautical performance (speed, range, manoeuvering, seakeeping, autopilot...) on surface ships and submarines. I define the trial processes, write the protocols, run the trials with the crew (the easiest and fastest part), analyze the results and write the reports.

The rest of my work is designing autopilot systems for the ships built by the company. I am also an instructor in a sailing association, not very active at the moment: I prefer to go sailing on my own yacht.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 14:55   #29

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
I have been an active boater for over 50 years, currently have lived aboard and cruised extensively for 20 years and tens of thousands of miles with my wife Susan. Susan was the former Editor for Waterway Guide and I was General Manager. We left Waterway Guide last may and now live on our trawler in Naples, Florida. Both Susan and I have been freelance writers for over 15 years and we have been published in almost every major boating publication. Susan has a current article coming up in Cruising World and I have recently had several articles published in Good Old Boat. I currently work for Marinalife and write for their magazine. I have also set up the new Marinalife Navigational Notices that are sent out to Marinalife boating members and registered members of our website. I have been a marina manager in the Florida Keys and the Chesapeake, and owned my own brokerage business on the Chesapeake for several years. The brokerage business also operated a charter fleet and a full service department. I have about 30 years experience as a marine service technician, primarily in electrical and electronics. Phew, and I have been involved in management, sales, sales training, marketing and promotion for more years than I would like to think about.
Now this, ladies and gentlemen, is the gig to have in our industry. Live aboard your own boat, sailing to destinations of your choice, and as long as you have wi-fi, send your work in, and wait for your auto deposit.

I want this gig.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 15:16   #30

Boat: O45 ordered
Wink Re: Forum users in the industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
I liked that thread, it's cool to see how repairs that extensive and high quality are done - I think people just didn't want to clutter it up with "Wow" and "Neat" type comments.
+1
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote