Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 15:05   #1141

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
Eric is one of the few people on CF that I have respect for.
That's too bad. I have a lot of respect for most people on CF.
Old 10-04-2014, 15:06   #1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt
I think a lot of us are. Why say any thing till you can say something useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW399 View Post
Why say anything?
Well, this is a forum, it's the internet, it's freedom of speech, it's peoples right to have an opinion. It's not North Korea.
Do you really expect people to say nothing until, what, the "Official Coast Guard Report" is released to the general public?
With all due respect, your comment is as daft as some of the ones you purport have not said anything useful.
But, I respect your right to post that opinion, just as I have a right to say how daft it is.
Typical ... the comment to a convenient bit taken out of context. The bit in context was: Why say any thing till you can say something useful.

Translation ... the suggestion was made to say something useful ... still room for improvement ...
Old 10-04-2014, 15:31   #1143

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
a bit gutted about that,as this was my thinking at the time re the condition of the boat, when i offered to rescue the vessel.

at the time,a good 24 hours before the uss vandergrift arrived on station

-we had a fast catamaran in panama that could have got to RH within a weeks sailing time, provisioned ready to leave.

-up front funding from several CF members.

-a tracker on RH, and our personal sat comms making finding her very easy.

-3 crew at my disposal,any of whom could have flown in at 24hrs notice.

-it is fairly obvious that erics sister never passed on my message to him at the time,being a non sailor,never realised the significance of the resources at our disposal.

pity as it looks like recovering the vessel would have been a realatively simple exercise,then sailing to hawaii,galapagos,or the mainland.

I find it strange this exceptional gesture has gone pretty much un-commented on. I was inspired by it when I saw it earlier in this thread, enough that it got me off my lazy butt and did something to show my support.

I realize it did not come to fruition but my gosh, what exceptional people we have here that would even conceive of this, and with their own resources, put it together.

Atoll, if you don't think they would mind being outed, who are the others that were involved in this?
Old 10-04-2014, 15:39   #1144

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I think if the Air National Guard offered to strap a parachute on Atoll and push him out of an airplane somewhere near Rebel Heart, he would've said, "Sure, no problem!"
Old 10-04-2014, 15:45   #1145
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I think if the Air National Guard offered to strap a parachute on Atoll and push him out of an airplane somewhere near Rebel Heart, he would've said, "Sure, no problem!"
only if i could have borrowed boatguys inflatable armchair

but minarete,kenomac,wotname,mantus anchors,were all there making sure i had a parachute

not forgettin toby on oflo,that could have provided the transport
Old 10-04-2014, 15:47   #1146

Boat: Westerly Sealord

This is worth a look...
DVIDS - Video - Guardian Angels from the Rebel Heart Search
Old 10-04-2014, 16:25   #1147
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind River View Post
I find it strange this exceptional gesture has gone pretty much un-commented on. I was inspired by it when I saw it earlier in this thread, enough that it got me off my lazy butt and did something to show my support.

I realize it did not come to fruition but my gosh, what exceptional people we have here that would even conceive of this, and with their own resources, put it together.

Atoll, if you don't think they would mind being outed, who are the others that were involved in this?

Don't let Atoll bullsh*t you, this was entirely his idea and his alone and he volunteered his services gratis from the start, because he saw an opportunity to save a vessel in distress, as any true mariner with salt in his veins will. When someone volunteers their quite capable services like this, the least the rest of us can do is take them seriously and facilitate however we can. I honestly believe that he could have done it. A shame it didn't develop. And kudos to Atoll for being so willing to volunteer a big chunk of his time and effort, at some risk, to save a fine vessel. I'd go to sea with him any day, and that's the finest compliment I know how to make.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 10-04-2014, 16:32   #1148

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
only if i could have borrowed boatguys inflatable armchair

but minarete,kenomac,wotname,mantus anchors,were all there making sure i had a parachute

not forgettin toby on oflo,that could have provided the transport
LMAO I doubt you'd get him out of it though. I have to say, this entire thread has been really enlightening as to where a lot of folks are coming from and how they approach and see things. You were ready to drop out of your life for a bit, potentially put your own safety at risk, and put yourself into an uncomfortable situation for some time all to help a fellow cruiser who you have never met (as far as I know). Good on ya man, that's awesome! Hope we meet up sometime at a bar 'cause I'll buy!
-Tom
Old 10-04-2014, 16:34   #1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Don't let Atoll bullsh*t you, this was entirely his idea and his alone and he volunteered his services gratis from the start, because he saw an opportunity to save a vessel in distress, as any true mariner with salt in his veins will. When someone volunteers their quite capable services like this, the least the rest of us can do is take them seriously and facilitate however we can. I honestly believe that he could have done it. A shame it didn't develop. And kudos to Atoll for being so willing to volunteer a big chunk of his time and effort, at some risk, to save a fine vessel. I'd go to sea with him any day, and that's the finest compliment I know how to make.
+1000 You said it better than I did.
Old 10-04-2014, 16:37   #1150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Hope we meet up sometime at a bar 'cause I'll buy!
-Tom
free beer?
Atoll.. mention my name....!
Old 10-04-2014, 16:48   #1151

Boat: Last:Newport 41

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

While reading the Kaufman's blog posts, put up while the couple were underway on their aborted passage, I was struck by the fact that not only were they having a miserable time, they also seemed somewhat surprised and shocked by their boat's motion and how hard it was to move around, sleep, take care of the baby, etc. And yet the force 5 conditions they were in are quite typical offshore. At one point Eric Kaufman mentions that this is his first bluewater voyage, and then his and Charlotte's surprise begins to make sense.

Which of course begs the question: How can parents of very young children possibly make an informed decision as to whether or not they want to take their very young child and baby on a 3000 mile trans-pac cruise when they themselves have never done any offshore sailing? Like many of you, I've known dozens of cruising families with young kids, even babies aboard, but in every case I can recall, the parents had significant bluewater experience before setting out with their kids.

Putting aside all the other chatter, I think this is the most important takeaway from the Kaufman's story. Parents of young children should make an effort to learn first-hand what they are getting themselves and their children into before setting off on a major passage. Why not go crew for somebody and see what it's all about out there in the open ocean, and if it's for you and your young family?

That being said, I'm really glad that the Kaufman family made it back, and wish them all the best in their future adventures.
Old 10-04-2014, 16:53   #1152

Boat: too many

Quote:
Yep, that is the atoll we all know, but as far as going to sea with him, bring soap. lol
Old 10-04-2014, 16:57   #1153

Boat: PETERSON 44
Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Let's get back to facts. The boat was well equipped. It had a family aboard. One member got very ill. Another was seasick. The captain was experienced. The boat was sunk. The navy reserves etc.. Did a great job. Kid is okay.
What we don't know captains offshore experience. Problems the boat was or was not experiencing. How these problems were being addressed. If the boat was in a condition that needed sinking. If this cost us tax dollars. Are blogs a good idea.
I don't have enough information or inclination to be a judgmental ass.
I was going to sort irrelevant information but it's way to long a list. Demeaning mike plant would be top. No idea why that got dragged in. What rebel did with the donation. We didn't stipulate how he should use it. And on and on.
Glad they made it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2014, 16:58   #1154
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Yep, that is the atoll we all know, but as far as going to sea with him, bring soap. lol

Yea, just be careful if you have to bend over to pick it up! He seems to be used to a salad girl on his crew...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:04   #1155

Quote:
Yea, just be careful if you have to bend over to pick it up! He seems to be used to a salad girl on his crew...
Salad girl? Must be a west coast 'ism
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico