Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 14:39   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40
Folding RIB

Hi Folks

I'm looking for a tender for my boat. There are davits so most of the tme we're cruising we can hang the dingy off the back without any worries. For longer passages and during the winter when we're laid up I'd like to be able to put the tender inside the boat to put it out of reach of temptation.

I've been looking at one or two folding ribs and was wondering if anyone had any experience of these things. I was thinking an F-RIB might fit the bill.

Ideally I'd like to use the RIB to zip into town for groceries and make my way back to the mothership with a weeks worth of provisions in less than ideal conditions without getting them wet or unduly worrying the admiral.

<RANT>
Having started digging into the subject (google is your friend - allegedly) I've been building up a real head of steam about advertisments for RIBs that have an inflatable floor. That's not a RIB. It's an inflatable. There's a clue there somewhere.
</RANT>

Any feedback gratefully received.
Old 11-08-2016, 14:59   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Folding RIB

Are you looking at folding transom ribs or the folding hull ribs?

We've got an avon folding transom rib, great boat, look like a bloated surfboard stowed upside down on our coach roof. However it's not a dry ride. The tubes are smaller in diameter than non folding models, and the hull shape is relatively flat compared to the solid cousins.

It's a compromise, that works very well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 04:33   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We have a rib with a folding transom, and that feature has become useless for us.

It seemed to help at first, when we had a smaller outboard; I could remove the outboard, stuff the boat into the back of our Suburban (barely) and take it home for winter storage. Can't remember if I could have gotten the boat inside without the folding transom, but I believe I could have, even if that meant not being able to close the tailgate for the short trip.

Since then, we've changed to a larger outboard that I can't (won't) lift, and we got a trailer to take the rig home in the winter.

Probably not completely relevant to your situation/question, but FWIW I eventually came to reckon the folding transom thing isn't all that great.

-Chris
Old 13-08-2016, 06:59   #4

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Im going to purchase an FRib. Ive looked at them a couple of times and i cant decide on the 2.8 or the 3.3. Im waiting till i find a 2nd hand 9.9 two stroke before i buy the Rib. But these are pretty awesome.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 07:19   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Are you looking at folding transom ribs or the folding hull ribs?

We've got an avon folding transom rib, great boat, look like a bloated surfboard stowed upside down on our coach roof. However it's not a dry ride. The tubes are smaller in diameter than non folding models, and the hull shape is relatively flat compared to the solid cousins.

It's a compromise, that works very well for us.
I have the same RIB (Avon Lite 310) and the same experience.

It is definitely not as seaworthy as the normal full size RIB (I had the Rover 340 with wheel-steered 25hp Mariner), because the tubes are quite a bit smaller, the bottom is flatter and single, etc.

BUT it does the job carrying up to four people (I think I've even had 5 in it) and groceries etc.

Like the OP -- I keep it on davits, then for longer passages fold it and stow it on the foredeck. It is surprisingly compact when folded up. The bag is carp, however, and I'm going to have a new one made, and slightly bigger so it's not such a wrestle getting it in.

I am using an 8hp Selva four stroke with it. It's a one cylinder and weighs the same as 2 strokes of similar power (27kg).

The old RIB was a proper little motorboat which could be used in open sea (in reasonable conditions) and over long distances. You could even pull a water skier with it. I loved it but it could only live in davits and it was a constant, constant problem. The folding RIB is not a little motor boat and no good for open sea or long distances, but it is a perfectly adequate dinghy. I bless it ever time I have to lift it -- it is so light, that two people can lift it onto the deck without any mechanical assistance. Simple mechanical davits crank it up -- even with motor on it -- without any problem; one hand job.

The OP had exactly the same idea I had, and I think he will be pleased. This is a simply excellent compromise between stowability and liftability and seaworthiness.

I also forgot to mention -- that it is easier to inflate deflate and store than a roll-up air floor dinghy. You just put the pump on it and suck the air out of it, and it folds right up to be something slightly bigger than a surfboard, very flat and easy to store. It only takes a few minutes. If the bag fitted better, it would really be perfect.

I leave the motor on it in the davits, and it works fine. Wrestling the motor off and on is so far the only difficult part of the process. We had a motor crane on the last boat, but I don't think I want something like that on this boat. Still thinking about the right approach to that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 10:41   #6

FRibs are seaworthy. Rated for offshore
Old 13-08-2016, 11:06   #7

-Personally I would not go with an inflatable floor. They are just not rigid, especially with a load.
-If not getting a real RIB, the next best to me is the models with the plywood or similar floors. Unfortunately, they are a PITA to disassemble and assemble.
-Next is the full hinged type floor you can roll up. Some used to be aluminum floor. Some may be vinyl. Not sure who is making these anymore, Avon used to make a nice one.
-If it will live in the davits except when crossing an ocean then the plywood/similar full floor may be the best compromise. It will take you probably 20 mins to disassemble/assemble once you get it down.
JMHO

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 12:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

-If not getting a real RIB, the next best to me is the models with the plywood or similar floors. Unfortunately, they are a PITA to disassemble and assemble.

JMHO
Thanks to everyone for their comments. What I'm after is a real RIB. But one that folds. Folding Transom is interesting but not really what I'm after as it doesn't seem to offer me any real advantages if it will always be with the mothership or acting as a tender. I wouldn't be taking it home.

Plywood floors, air decks, slats, and so on seem to me to be in the category of inflatable dingy, not a RIB which has a solid hull.

If anyone has experience of a folding RIB and has used it in challenging conditions I'd love to hear about your experiences.
Old 13-08-2016, 13:15   #9

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
FRibs are seaworthy. Rated for offshore

OK....That is dang cool!

F-RIB | Revolutionary new Foldable RIBs (F-RIBs)

They even have a canopy!

http://foldablerib.com/product/full-...-and-375-only/

I've never seen one like that before. Maybe they'd like to sponsor a contest

Matt
Old 13-08-2016, 13:18   #10

I'm not sure I get it... but it's cool!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 13:20   #11

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Ugh... they look to be only PVC with no Hypalon option
Old 13-08-2016, 15:02   #12

If you know anyone in St Petersburg you can buy them for 600 euros.
Old 13-08-2016, 15:49   #13

If you know anyone in St Petersburg you can buy them for 600 euros.
Old 14-08-2016, 04:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Ugh... they look to be only PVC with no Hypalon option
You're right. But the web site does reference the fact they use both.... Seems moderately expensive for a boat you'd need to replace every 5 years. Other than that the concept looks great.

Southampton Boat Show coming up. I suspect there will be a dealer there that'll be happy to answer the question. Being able to fold the rib away in the bow locker when leaving the boat is my main motivation for looking at a folding RIB

Nice series of mini blogs on "The Guppy" here. F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View forum - The Guppy (Apologies for referencing another forum)
Old 14-08-2016, 04:34   #15

Boat: TBA

Hi Twohapence,

i have used a Walkerbay geniuses with folding transom it folds down nearly flat and about 3 ft wide by 7 ft long only need to reinflate when you want to use it but it works for some and is a really good rib when in use
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib