Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 13:07   #46

Re: Florida Homes with Docks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Here is a link to the NOAA flood map that might be of interest.

https://coast.noaa.gov/floodexposure...74,4005671,13z

Later,
Dan
Very useful reference.

FYI:

While flood insurance isn't mandated by the state of Florida, it's a common requirement of mortgage lenders, particularly if you're in a high-risk flood zone. If the government's flood zone maps indicate your house is located in a flood zone starting with an A or V, you'll likely need to purchase a flood insurance policy. If you're located in an X, C or B flood zone, your home is considered to be at a lower risk of flooding, but nearly a quarter of flood events still occur in these areas.

Many homeowners in Florida are close to a waterfront such as a beach, river or lake, which means they're at a higher risk for flooding. Homeowners and renters insurance policies don't cover flooding, even in the case of surges, or wind-driven water that floods properties, a common effect of hurricanes.

If you don't have coverage and a storm hits, you may not get federal assistance through FEMA unless the event is declared a federal emergency. Even then, post-disaster grants are less than $10,000 on average. A flood can easily cause much more damage, as you may need to replace your home's flooring, parts of the walls and your personal property and home appliances.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 15:13   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Very useful reference.

FYI:

While flood insurance isn't mandated by the state of Florida, it's a common requirement of mortgage lenders, particularly if you're in a high-risk flood zone. If the government's flood zone maps indicate your house is located in a flood zone starting with an A or V, you'll likely need to purchase a flood insurance policy. If you're located in an X, C or B flood zone, your home is considered to be at a lower risk of flooding, but nearly a quarter of flood events still occur in these areas.

Many homeowners in Florida are close to a waterfront such as a beach, river or lake, which means they're at a higher risk for flooding. Homeowners and renters insurance policies don't cover flooding, even in the case of surges, or wind-driven water that floods properties, a common effect of hurricanes.

If you don't have coverage and a storm hits, you may not get federal assistance through FEMA unless the event is declared a federal emergency. Even then, post-disaster grants are less than $10,000 on average. A flood can easily cause much more damage, as you may need to replace your home's flooring, parts of the walls and your personal property and home appliances.
You can get the national flood insurance program or private...or both. National max is $250k and costs me under $1k a yr. Private insurance cost depends on whatever limit you want. I pay $3700 yr for normal property insurance that flood doesn't cover. Metal roofs and approved shutters make a huge difference in insurance cost too. I replaced a tile roof with metal and the insurance dropped $1k. Market value is about $850k, waterfront and in a major flood zone.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:46   #48

Lots of opportunities, I suggest to rent and explore before buying.

What is your draft? I have a place/dock in St Johns river in Jacksonville
Irazuzta@aol.com
JIrazuzta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 10:54   #49
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I got 2 docks available in Fort Lauderdale, no liveaboards.
One dock is Max 47’ and 6’ draft, the other dock is Max 50, 6+ draft.
$14 per foot, minimum $550.
Light maintenance ok, but for major maintenance go to nearby yards such as LMC and Mariana Mile Boat yard.
Zip code 33315, The Citrus Isles area.
Old 24-05-2021, 14:05   #50
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Got a dock available up the New River in Fort Lauderdale that can fit a catamaran 40+ feet.
No liveaboards, $600 per month. Available from June 15th for long term rent.

Send me a PM or text ninefivefour 4654116
Old 02-11-2021, 06:31   #51

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
There are some subdivisions on Florida's gulf coast which are built among a system of canals. Being on the gulf side, you would be less threatened by hurricanes, although not completely out of danger.

Nice spreadsheet.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:15   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Nice spreadsheet.

Thanks! I just updated it again today to fix a minor bug. The latest version is 0.3.2.
SeanPatrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:53   #53

The information about the Florida Gulf coast being less susceptible to hurricanes is totally false. Universal Property and Causaltiy, one of the few home insurers in the state list the SW coast of Florida as having a higher level of threat from severe hurricanes then the SE coast.

The Most Hurricane-Prone Areas in Florida
1. Northwest Florida: 66 total hurricanes
(including 14 that were a Category 3 through 5)
2. Southwest Florida: 49 total hurricanes
(including 17 that were a Category 3 through 5)
3. Southeast Florida: 49 total hurricanes
(including 16 that were a Category 3 through 5)

And this does not factor in the poor quality of the construction in these planned communities. There just are not enough building inspectors in Florida and when building is booming, they simply do a drive-by if that, and the builders know it. That is why you see roofs lasting only 10-15 years, and other shoddy construction, even on million dollar homes. For the record I am a life long Floridian.

https://universalproperty.com/most-a...eas-in-florida
oceanluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:28   #54

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanluvr View Post
The information about the Florida Gulf coast being less susceptible to hurricanes is totally false. Universal Property and Causaltiy, one of the few home insurers in the state list the SW coast of Florida as having a higher level of threat from severe hurricanes then the SE coast.

The Most Hurricane-Prone Areas in Florida
1. Northwest Florida: 66 total hurricanes
(including 14 that were a Category 3 through 5)
2. Southwest Florida: 49 total hurricanes
(including 17 that were a Category 3 through 5)
3. Southeast Florida: 49 total hurricanes
(including 16 that were a Category 3 through 5)

And this does not factor in the poor quality of the construction in these planned communities. There just are not enough building inspectors in Florida and when building is booming, they simply do a drive-by if that, and the builders know it. That is why you see roofs lasting only 10-15 years, and other shoddy construction, even on million dollar homes. For the record I am a life long Floridian.

https://universalproperty.com/most-a...eas-in-florida

I'm calling BS...........

I've lived on the west coast of Florida for almost thirty years. We've only had two hurricanes that have made direct landfall in this area in that time. Charley and Wilma. Wilma actually passed mostly through the Everglades causing more property damage on the east coast. In fact, the last hurricane to hit Tampa directly was 100 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ida_hurricanes
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:31   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
Thanks! I just updated it again today to fix a minor bug. The latest version is 0.3.2.
Lets start a new nav thread, I'm interested in a tutorial.

I have a cheap sextant, and I use a sextant app on my phone.

I'm shopping for an instrument quality.

Being able to look up a spreadsheet is a lot easier than a stack of books.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:49   #56

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

We are still in the pre-shopping phase, so eagerly await more insights on FL homes with docks.

One thing I’ve been warned about is mobile home parks, in that they sell the property and suddenly you have to fire sell the place or move it.

We don’t need a deep water dock, the boat will stay north. But a dock, and lots of little places to explore would be great. We prefer the small town, old Florida environment, with as few transplants as possible (yes, that’s a challenge).
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 13:10   #57

I just shopped zillow, and didn't see any deals for a dock big enough for a cat. 45 x 28.
Old 02-11-2021, 13:11   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Lets start a new nav thread, I'm interested in a tutorial.

I have a cheap sextant, and I use a sextant app on my phone.

I'm shopping for an instrument quality.

Being able to look up a spreadsheet is a lot easier than a stack of books.

Sure, I'd be glad to help in any way I can!
Old 02-11-2021, 13:33   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I'm calling BS...........

I've lived on the west coast of Florida for almost thirty years. We've only had two hurricanes that have made direct landfall in this area in that time. Charley and Wilma. Wilma actually passed mostly through the Everglades causing more property damage on the east coast. In fact, the last hurricane to hit Tampa directly was 100 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ida_hurricanes
Clearly, reading comprehension is not your strong suit! I nor the statistics I presented state that every one of these hurricanes hit land, in fact most do not. The data that I presented simply lists the number of Named storms to go up the Gulf and East Coasts of Florida. As a 71 year old life long Floridian the only real serious storms I have lived through have been Andrew in Miami and more recently Jean and Francis, direct hits in Stuart, FL within two weeks of each other. Prior to that the Stuart area had not had a major storm in about 70 years. Point is, any one of the recent storms that transit both coasts, can just as easily, due to wind, change course and head out to sea or turn towards land. Living through a major hurricane is not something any one would forget and both coasts are equally at risk.

Any one or the recent storms that hit Louisiana the last two years could just have easily turned in hit the gulf coast of Florida. Count yourself as lucky!
oceanluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 14:14   #60

Here's a map of all of the hurricanes of category 1-5 which hit Florida between 2000 and 2021. Seems like the gulf coast might actually get more. If you look at all major storms including tropical depressions and storms, it starts becoming a rat's nest.

[Click for larger version.]

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (76).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	247723

Tags
dock, florida, Homes with a dock, real estate