Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 11:38   #1

Exumas, Bahamas Bareboat Charter - Georgetown circle

My family and I (2 parents, 3 teenagers) are considering a bareboat charter starting and ending in Georgetown, Grand Exuma Island. We're mostly interested in snorkeling, beaches, and exploring with a few stops at beach bars/restaurants/towns. The crew isn't big on long days of sailing. My questions are:

1. Would there be enough to keep us occupied for a week-long charter if we were to circle Grand Exuma and visit a few other islands?
  2. Which other islands would we want to be sure to get to?
  3. We're planning on going in late June. Any reason not to go at this time of year?
  4. It looks like Navtours might be our only option for the boat. Any experiences you can share about chartering from them?
Thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier post. Your information is very helpful as we try to nail down the details of our trip.

Cheers,

CMan
CMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 12:35   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Exumas, Bahamas bareboat charter - Georgetown circle

There's lots to do in and around GTown/Elizabeth Harbour, including beaches, bars, snorkling, hiking, socializing, etc...(circumnavigation Great Exuma Island isn't one of them). With just a week, you'll probably stick pretty close to there, or maybe Long Island, although the island chain to the NW is some of the best cruising in the world, IMHO.

You would need to get out on Exuma Sound (the ocean, basically) to get anywhere, and that may require the right conditions, depending on your sea tolerance.

Have a great voyage!!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 13:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Exumas, Bahamas Bareboat Charter - Georgetown circle

Second the recommendations from W.G. I think you can find plenty to do and see around Elizabeth Harbor and trying to circle Great Exuma not a great (pun intended) idea. Lots of shallow areas and tricky navigation. Haven't looked at this for years so maybe the latest Explorer Charts make it more doable but I would just spend my time on the east side. Very easy to find a beach with not another soul in sight and still be back in Georgetown in time for dinner.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, bareboat, charter, exumas, georgetown, bahamas