Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 14:04   #46

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: EPIRB battery replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
They were either practicing packing, or had an "A" license or better.
USPA Skydiver's Information Manual
Your 'A' license is the basic entrance level license. The aim is that everyone who jumps out of a plane packs their own chute once they have been shown how to do it. It's pretty much the same around the world.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 18:24   #47

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Manufacturer is KTI

Model is SA1G

Dunno about "super-cool" though

Oh. Did you think I was taking your advice....? ;^P

Sent from my iPhone so apologies for weird autocorrect typos.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:14   #48
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHM View Post
Sarsat.noaa.gov is the link for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Unfortunately this only gives half the story - well to be fair, it gives 80% of the story.

The FCC, the ITU and the whole world of SAR wants us to use the 406 Mhz beacon. Rightly so.To emphasis their case, they tell us the old 121.5 MHz beacon is obsolete and in most parts of the world it is.

However in the USA, there is a turf war between the FCC and the FAA regarding emerngency beacons. At least there was up to 2014, I'm not sure of the current state of play.

In essence, the FCC controls what frequencies can be used for what purposes except for the aviation world where the FAA has the say. The FAA aided and abetted by APOA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) want to the right to keep using 121.5 beacons. So far against stiff opposition from the FCC, they have managed to maintain the right for existing 121.5 beacons to remain legal in general aviation aircraft. At least, that is what was happening in 2014.

I haven't provided links as the tablet I'm using makes cutting and paste difficult. Google "FAA ELT RULES". ELT is the aviation term for EPIRB.

What does this mean for us sailing cruisers - not much except that we forget that 121.5 remains an important emergency frequency and our actions regarding disposal of any beacon must be considered in the light of this knowledge.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 13:50   #49

Like I said. Super cool.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-11-2015, 14:00   #50

Quote:
Unfortunately this only gives half the story - well to be fair, it gives 80% of the story.

The FCC, the ITU and the whole world of SAR wants us to use the 406 Mhz beacon. Rightly so.To emphasis their case, they tell us the old 121.5 MHz beacon is obsolete and in most parts of the world it is.

However in the USA, there is a turf war between the FCC and the FAA regarding emerngency beacons. At least there was up to 2014, I'm not sure of the current state of play.

In essence, the FCC controls what frequencies can be used for what purposes except for the aviation world where the FAA has the say. The FAA aided and abetted by APOA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) want to the right to keep using 121.5 beacons. So far against stiff opposition from the FCC, they have managed to maintain the right for existing 121.5 beacons to remain legal in general aviation aircraft. At least, that is what was happening in 2014.

I haven't provided links as the tablet I'm using makes cutting and paste difficult. Google "FAA ELT RULES". ELT is the aviation term for EPIRB.

What does this mean for us sailing cruisers - not much except that we forget that 121.5 remains an important emergency frequency and our actions regarding disposal of any beacon must be considered in the light of this knowledge.
and just for an Australian context as well, whilst 121.5 is not actively used as an emergency frequency it is still monitored by all commerical aircraft and when a signal is picked up, it does in Australia generate an emergency response, whether on land or on sea.
Old 05-11-2015, 14:59   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
... it does in Australia generate an emergency response, whether on land or on sea.
Or rubbish tip...
Old 05-11-2015, 15:26   #52

Here are some numbers to give some idea of the scale of the "problem" in the USA.

According to the NOAA, in 2013, there were just 70,313 registered 406 beacons fitted to USA aircraft while as late as 2014, they estimated there were still 170,000 older 121.5 beacons fiteed to USA registered aircraft.

IMO, some folk are belligerent....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 05-11-2015, 15:38   #53

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Here are some numbers to give some idea of the scale of the "problem" in the USA.

According to the NOAA, in 2013, there were just 70,313 registered 406 beacons fitted to USA aircraft while as late as 2014, they estimated there were still 170,000 older 121.5 beacons fiteed to USA registered aircraft.

IMO, some folk are belligerent....

I don't feel "belligerent". I have an old model ELT that has batteries you can change yourself and it has a mic jack. I can talk to SAR. Great feature, I don't know why all elt's didn't have that. If you have ever looked for someone in the forest from a plane you would know. It should have been a requirement. I can only think they just wanted to find the wreck not the people.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 18:54   #54

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
and just for an Australian context as well, whilst 121.5 is not actively used as an emergency frequency it is still monitored by all commerical aircraft and when a signal is picked up, it does in Australia generate an emergency response, whether on land or on sea.
As a matter of fact, 406MHz beacons also transmit on 121.5MHz for locating an emergency beacon by air at close range. By the time an aircraft reaches the GPS location it's highly likely that the yacht has moved so this is useful at the last stage of the emergency.

121.5MHz is an active frequency, but not monitored as a primary emergency channel.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 19:16   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
As a matter of fact, 406MHz beacons also transmit on 121.5MHz for locating an emergency beacon by air at close range. By the time an aircraft reaches the GPS location it's highly likely that the yacht has moved so this is useful at the last stage of the emergency.

121.5MHz is an active frequency, but not monitored as a primary emergency channel.
thanks. Hadn't realised that, but it makes sense.
Old 05-11-2015, 19:27   #56

Quote:

It is also highly likely that the GPS position will be updated during the whole time the 406 transmitter is operating BUT a word of caution here. Not all GPS embedded 406 beacons operate in the same way.

Some of the early ones (and maybe some current ones) only transmit the GPS coordinates for the first few busts, others for only the first hour etc. Others including the KTI SA1G referenced earlier continue to keep the GPS engine powered up the entire time the 406 transmitter is operational.

This is something that never appears in the marketing and sales pitches. It pays to ask...
Old 05-11-2015, 19:32   #57

Quote:

It is worthwhile IMO to check the specs of the 121.5 transmitter. While all 406 transmitters operate at 5 watts, the 121.5 trnasmitters vary between manufacturers and countries.

For awhile, the FCC limited the 121.5 power to 25 mW but I see some USA units are now sold at 50 mW so presumably then has been a change of heart. I have seen some NZ units at 75 mW IIRC and 50 mW is common in Oz.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:20   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I don't feel "belligerent". I have an old model ELT that has batteries you can change yourself and it has a mic jack. I can talk to SAR. Great feature, I don't know why all elt's didn't have that. If you have ever looked for someone in the forest from a plane you would know. It should have been a requirement. I can only think they just wanted to find the wreck not the people.
Well perhaps "belligerent" is the wrong word.

Leaving aside you own feelings and the pros and cons of of voice coms with SAR, what word would you use to describe the situation where the whole world have switched to 406 beacons for land, sea and air SAR alerting except for the the general aviation private plane owners in the USA?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:51   #59

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Well perhaps "belligerent" is the wrong word.

Leaving aside you own feelings and the pros and cons of of voice coms with SAR, what word would you use to describe the situation where the whole world have switched to 406 beacons for land, sea and air SAR alerting except for the the general aviation private plane owners in the USA?
I thought it was obvious, we are Mericans.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:49   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I thought it was obvious, we are Mericans.
Duh

But doesn't that fly in the face of the CF "be nice" rule

Tags
battery, epirb, men