Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2016, 13:58   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Engine run hours. How to tell without meter?

Markj's advice is sound.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I ran commercial boats, towboats and fishboats for over twenty years on the west coast using the same philosophy and it always worked for me. If there was a problem, fix it and keep going! Simple, but effective...
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 14:07   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

There are as many poorly maintained diesels that need a rebuild after 1000 hours as there are immaculately maintained ones with 10k hours that are running like new.

If you trust the previous owner and the boat is not that old, I'd just run it and maintain it well. Having an engine survey done at this point is likely not going to tell you anything useful other than how expensive engine surveys are.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 14:39   #18

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
RunningCool.

No you don't need new hoses till they burst.
===

Hopefully you are kidding but maybe not. IMHO that's a really bad plan since a burst hose can leave you stranded and cause additional (expensive) damage. Both hoses and hose clamps are subject to aging and failure. Inspect them regularly and replace any that look even slightly suspect.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 15:01   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

Hopefully you are kidding but maybe not. IMHO that's a really bad plan since a burst hose can leave you stranded and cause additional (expensive) damage. Both hoses and hose clamps are subject to aging and failure. Inspect them regularly and replace any that look even slightly suspect.
I feel sure he was saying it in jest. I believe he was making light with the $1000 figure for new hoses. It could be $1000, $30 in hose and the rest labor?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 16:35   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
RunningCool.
You said you have already bought the boat.

Sooooooo, what value is there in getting the Yanmar guy to assess it?
He will say.."Well, it's 30 years old it needs an overhaul that'll cost you $10k but at that price you'd be better to repower for $13k".
That will do 2 things: make you less confident in your new boat, and lighten your wallet.

Just love your boat! Your engine works so what more do you want?
Yes, an independent oil lab test could be good. But nothing else is real independent, is it?
'Buyers remorse' is a sickening thing so don't let it happen. Its working, starting, not blowing smoke: That's a working engine.

The least the Yanmar guy will say after u tell him to F off is "well, u really need all new hoses $1000".

No you don't need new hoses till they burst.

Go enjoy your boat
Love it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 18:52   #21

Do a 1000 hour service. Check/adjust as necessary, the valve clearances. Do it yourself, don't hire somebody. Learn how. Send an oil sample in for analysis. Check/replace any suspect hoses and belts, check/tighten all bolts. Check the alignment. Adjust if necessary. install an hour meter. If the oil report comes back with satisfactory results, you will be able to use the engine with confidence. One weekend of work could save you thousands of dollars and a whole lot of trouble.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 19:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Love it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
nothing wrong with deferred maintenance on critical systems as long as you love her? I think I may have lost wife #2 that way.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 04:57   #23

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

As usual these type of engine questions get answers that fall into to groups: Those who say don't do anything till something breaks and those who believe in Preventive Maintenance.
By asking the question about hours it seems the OP is interested in hours in some fashion. Unless an engine is one of the newer types that have computer control modules that keep track of such things as hours and other operating info the only way to know hours is with a Hobbs meter. They are super cheap and easy to install and I recently saw one advertised that didn't even need any wiring. Apparently just sensed the power running through the already installed engine wiring to increment an LCD meter. Didn't study it as my boat has meters on it.
My boat was last re-powered with used engines in 1998 which came with meters that showed ~2000 hours - but who knows what they were exactly.But I do know how many hours I have put on them each year and that is all I care about at this point.
My initial pre-install routine was to replace the circulating water pump, have the injectors cleaned and serviced, degrease the engines, repaint them with epoxy/urethane, replace all rubber hoses, change fluids and filters.
Even doing these things don't guarantee no troubles but if things are routinely services it avoids making repairs more difficult when they need to be done.
A friend of mine owns/operates a marine engine service and repair business and you won't believe some of the stories about having to work on sailboat engines that have never been serviced that are all rusted up and it really adds to the cost of repair from the additional time it takes to work on engines like this to just get things apart.
Scheduled maintenance by definition supposes you know the interval involved. Without an hour meter it's just guess work.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 11:50   #24

Boat: 1980 Rafiki 37ft

Ths guys good input.
I will get a oil test.
Start a log and contact previous owner for engine log (hopefully)
RunningCool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine