Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2021, 10:55   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Dolphin Encounter lower Chesapeake Bay

So I had a nice sail this weekend and on the first day a dolphin surfaced right beside the boat and scared the crap out of me.

So I was thinking I wish I had my camera ready but then he/she surfaced again so I grabbed my old camera (wish I had something better for what was about to occur) and turned it on hoping I had it on video record. I don't use it often and the Sun makes it hard to see the settings.

So I recorded these guys for about 30 minutes from the cockpit of my boat and saw their pattern of coming up from behind port side then crossing the bow.

So I decided to go forward to get better video and this is it but I wish it was better.....anyway, I think they saw me when I went forward because they or she maybe would come up like before but would turn her head sideways to look up at this being on this floating object. I was slow to realize what she was doing at first but when she looked directly at me I knew what was going on. Just like me, they were curious. I say she from watching them earlier and how they reacted to each other.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 15:22   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Dolphin Encounter lower Chesapeake Bay

Nice that you were able to get video of those bottlenose dolphins. I’ve tried to get photos over the years but my results are frequently splashes and tails.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 16:43   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

In the spring we had a pod playing at the bow, shortly after sunrise. We hadn't noticed them yet and one swam alongside, repeatedly jumping out of the water high enough that we saw it above the lifelines!
As we went forward it joined the rest of it's family at the bow.
In 2 years of cruising, I've lost count of the number of times a pod has swam alongside us. I do know that it's just as exciting every time!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 18:37   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

thomm225 we love our dolphins and never get sick of them. This year for the first time ever we had a dolphin follow us right into the marina and only dive under us and leave as we turned into our marina berth. Talk about awesome.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 19:12   #5

Boat: Nor'sea 27, BCC 28

Fantastic day had by all! Dolphins look like they are having fun. Thank you for sharing!
Zugbug99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 19:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
thomm225 we love our dolphins and never get sick of them. This year for the first time ever we had a dolphin follow us right into the marina and only dive under us and leave as we turned into our marina berth. Talk about awesome.
Cheers
That does sound awesome! They seem to be very smart and want to know what's happening "up there."
Old 01-11-2021, 08:21   #7

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34

There is a group from the University of Maryland studying dolphins in the Bay. They would probably welcome this video and any information you can share. Here's the link to their site: https://chesapeakedolphinwatch.org/
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:20   #8

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Great vids.
We often have dolphins follow us. They seem to love the place besides our trawler at our Naiad fins. They, like yours,often swim on their sides. We can’t decide if they are curious about the fins or whether that location allows them to surf the break between our bow & stern waves at our usual 7-7.5 knots, they hardly seem to move their tails.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:00   #9

Boat: O’Day 40

Last summer we saw a pod of dolphins as far north on the Chesapeake as Thomas Point Light (6 miles south of Annapolis)- a real thrill.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:09   #10

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel
Smile Re: Dolphin Encounter lower Chesapeake Bay

Nice video.
I do see that occasionally they seem to turn sideways yo the boat to wait for the bow wave.
You may want to sail faster to keep their attention:smile
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:27   #11

Boat: Beneteau

My wife refers to them as the ocean's go-go dancers because when they show up it's party party party. Had about half a dozen on our last sail home prior to hauling out. Good end to the season.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:53   #12

Knock on wood but every time we go out sailing we see dolphins! It never gets old seeing them.

Sometimes it is just one or two but usually a few more go swimming by. They always seem to in a hurry to go somewhere.

A few times they do play on the bow but not for long. They have some thing to do, somewhere to go and they speed off to that something and somewhere. Love to know what they are up too.

We have stayed at a high rise condo that can see the ocean where we are sailing. Every morning we have seen the pod cruise the beach feeding. Then we have seen the same pod while sailing. They certainly have a routine they follow.

Wish a few of them would carry a GoPro and Spot so we could see what they are doing and where they go.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:01   #13

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

"Dolphins and Porpoises
Viewing dolphins in their natural habitat is an educational and enriching experience if done safely and responsibly. As human interactions with wild dolphins increase, the risk of disturbing or injuring them also increases. Never feed a dolphin—it’s harmful and illegal. Always stay at least 50 yards away from dolphins (1/2 a football field) when viewing from watercraft. In some locations, the minimum distance may be 100 yards—know before you go."

Apparantly, dolphins don't know how to read.

Or "experts" don't know how to think.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddiscenza View Post
There is a group from the University of Maryland studying dolphins in the Bay. They would probably welcome this video and any information you can share. Here's the link to their site: https://chesapeakedolphinwatch.org/

Will do.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
"Dolphins and Porpoises
Viewing dolphins in their natural habitat is an educational and enriching experience if done safely and responsibly. As human interactions with wild dolphins increase, the risk of disturbing or injuring them also increases. Never feed a dolphin—it’s harmful and illegal. Always stay at least 50 yards away from dolphins (1/2 a football field) when viewing from watercraft. In some locations, the minimum distance may be 100 yards—know before you go."

Apparantly, dolphins don't know how to read.

Or "experts" don't know how to think.
Good one!

I couldn't have stayed 50 yards away from these guys if I tried.

Winds were light and even if there were strong winds I believe they (the dolphins) can swim at speeds close to 19 knots for short periods anyway

Tags
chesapeake bay, enc