Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2012, 21:42   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Do you pack ''HEAT'' while you sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
No - never have - never felt the need.
Most active long(er) time CRUISERS that I've met don't admit to carrying - but who really knows, for certain.

See also: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ry-1641-3.html
That is a really good point. At one time I owned a document imaging company and had a number of Universities for clients. It was interesting that there was always someone on staff that I worked with that had a gun in their office. This includes Universities in California. No one would admit in public to having a gun and it was against the law to have one on campus. But they were there.

So I expect the same here in the cruising community. Come to think about it I know of a few at my moorage that have guns on board.

Given that the antis are so vocal and tend to deamonize those who might consider having a gun it may be very hard to get good advise in an objective way. Pro vs con.....

Finding the wheat in all that chafe cane be difficult.

Now if I was heading in the direction of Somalia I might like a deck mounted 50 cal and some RPG.
evm1024 is offline   Reply
Old 30-04-2012, 21:52   #77

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
No - never have - never felt the need.
Most active long(er) time CRUISERS that I've met don't admit to carrying - but who really knows, for certain.
You only really know who is NOT packing.

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply
Old 30-04-2012, 21:59   #78
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Let me guess, American?
Yep, from the great 49'th state of alaska!!! We ahve the hiest gun ownership rates in america!!! Nearly everyone here has a gun.
Lt. is offline   Reply
Old 30-04-2012, 22:22   #79

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Oh Boy here we are again.

By sail I assume you mean visit countries other than your own, riight?

Be aware tjat it is illegal for ANYONE to have a firearn when you visit a country as a non-citizen ie: toursit visia, student visia, work visia, resident visia, etc.

If you display / fire said firearm you are in serious trouble as countries protect their own citizens first before worrying about some transit on a boat.

John A is offline   Reply
Old 30-04-2012, 22:41   #80
Lt.

Well thats just fine since I only plan to have it on my person ONLY if i feel threatoned, or if one of this countries citizens makes the first move.

the following are my reasons for carrying guns:
  • Victims who shoot back tend live longer
  • an armed society is a polite society ie. would you break into someone home or boat if you thought they had a gun? or would you break into the home or boat of someone if you thought they didn't have a gun?
  • America didn't come to be because of long winded politions.
  • America didn't save England, France, and the rest of the world during ww1 and ww2 by throwing rocks!
  • If I take a walk in the woods in alaska (or any other true wilderness or city, or nation) what would I rather have, A good gun-- or a bottle of pepper juice?
  • shortly after almost every country in the world that has outlawed guns started (for lack of better vocab.) outlawing guns, their crime rates shot up!!
The preceding has been my reasons for owning firearms.
Lt. is offline   Reply
Old 30-04-2012, 22:58   #81

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Well thats just fine since I only plan to have it on my person ONLY if i feel threatoned, or if one of this countries citizens makes the first move.

• Victims who shoot back tend live longer
  • an armed society is a polite society ie. would you break into someone home or boat if you thought they had a gun? or would you break into the home or boat of someone if you thought they didn't have a gun?
  • America didn't come to be because of long winded politions.
  • America didn't save England, France, and the rest of the world during ww1 and ww2 by throwing rocks!
  • If I take a walk in the woods in alaska (or any other true wilderness or city, or nation) what would I rather have, A good gun-- or a bottle of pepper juice?
  • shortly after almost every country in the world that has outlawed guns started (for lack of better vocab.) outlawing guns, their crime rates shot up!!
OK, I can live with your reasons.

The question then becomes why do you need to tell us your reasons to have firearms while on a forun devoted to sailing? At 11 pm on the west coast of the US. Trolling perhaps?

I'm sure I speak for the majority of the members of this forum when I say,
"we really don't care to discuss this with strangers"
kind regards

ps welcme to the forum. do you have a boat?
John A is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 00:57   #82
Lt.

Because it seems like most poeple on this forum are anti-gun. And no, not yet atleast. I joined this forum to try and ask questions and get answers from poeple whom i hope are knowledgeable about these questions.
Lt. is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 01:38   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by muised View Post
My mother always taught me there are four subjects not to discuss in polite company:

1. Sex
2. Politics
3. Carrying weapons on board a cruising boat
4. Religion.
While I completely agree with your mother please remember she was referring to polite company. That would be a different forum.

Quote:
  • My travels suggest that the more polite industrialized societies are the ones less armed. There are few places I feel uncomfortable traveling in Western Europe or Canada but many in the USA. My perceptions only, of course.
  • Quote:
How that relates to peace time I do not know but that comment seldom wins friends in polite society.

FWIW, France lost over 40% of it's able bodied 20 to 40 year old men in WWl from death or maiming. It was decimated and paid a horrific price. England was the bulwark in WW1 and if it weren't for Russia in WWll you'd be speaking Japanese and I would be speaking German when calling my fore fathers in Scotland (though really, I don't think they'd have ever gotten the Highlands. Or, for that matter, wanted them.)

Quote:
If I take a walk in the woods in alaska (or any other true wilderness or city, or nation) what would I rather have, A good gun-- or a bottle of pepper juice?

Methinks the necessities for walks in Alaska, Baltimore, Montreal, or Paris vary widely.

Quote:
shortly after almost every country in the world that has outlawed guns started (for lack of better vocab.) outlawing guns, their crime rates shot up!!
Could you show us some research on that? Research I have read tends to show that where there are more guns there is more violent crime, and as guns proliferate, so does crime.

For disclosure, if I lived in many areas of the US, Russia, Belize, the Ukraine, etc., I would own a handgun. If my ex'es mother in law started hanging around again, I would own one here. Depends on one's circumstances really, doesn't?

My cruising has been limited to the Great Lakes, the Maritime provinces, and Maine, and I have never carried nor even considered carrying a firearm. I have never had any situation make me feel remotely nervous at sea save the time the engine failed in the Bay of Fundy and I had to sail through the Reversing Falls in Saint John. If I did have a gun that day I would have shot the mechanic who had just overhauled the engine; this life saved should prove to all of you that firearms and boating do not mix, at least in Canada. Had I a gun aboard I expect there would be a few more widows in Canada whose husbands had inadvertently (or so they said) dropped one of my winch handles overboard during a weekend race.

I have never understood why winch handles are not sold in six packs.

Someday I should make a sailing related post. Somebody start a thread called 'The best sailing on the N.A. east coast' so I can talk about the St John River, or the Bras D'or Lakes .

Now, back to the tax return. I just love all nighters. Sorry if I'm cranky.
Brob2 is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 02:54   #84

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
We have guns in Australia too you know.
On our boat as its a cat we had to double up on everything,one of each in each hull.
We have 2x desert eagle .50 cal
2x AR15's one in each forepeak.
Up on the flybridge we have a stainless handgun hidden.
I have told the kids if anyone boards us and tries to get in to wait for them to be over the hatchs before they let rip with the desert eagles,its much easier to get a panel of perspex replaces than to fix big holes in the fibreglass deck.
dirkdig is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 03:10   #85

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I enjoyed the part about shotgun weddings to armed black bears who eat apples and poop out apple custard, to the Somalia and holes in the deck part of this thread.

--but, what do I know.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:27   #86
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

• Victims who shoot back tend live longer - don't be a victim
  • an armed society is a polite society ie - although we can have pretty much any sort of weapon over here (including stuff that needs a tripod) and handguns - most people don't have them. the reason we are polite is because we are civilised. would you break into someone home or boat if you thought they had a gun? or would you break into the home or boat of someone if you thought they didn't have a gun? I would break into someones house if they had something I wanted. having a gun would just affect the how - a gun would only work if dealing with folk who can't plan / think ahead. and "you" were not asleep.
  • America didn't come to be because of long winded politions.- it was founded by people who thought that 17th Century England was too religously tolerant (kinda like folks who think that Saudi is bit too wishy washy).....and then over a tax dispute.
  • America didn't save England, France, and the rest of the world during ww1 and ww2 by throwing rocks! Of course everyone agrees that the right side won? (remember this is an international forum - that includes the bits outside the US, which probably aren't on your map )
  • If I take a walk in the woods in alaska (or any other true wilderness or city, or nation) what would I rather have, A good gun-- or a bottle of pepper juice? if you walk in the woods of Alaska, a gun may be a good idea - in case you see a Palin
  • shortly after almost every country in the world that has outlawed guns started (for lack of better vocab.) outlawing guns, their crime rates shot up!! The reason so many of the US populace has guns, is because it is a fairly new country and simply hasn't yet got civilised .
Remember - Guns don't kill people. Americans do .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 03:28   #87
Marine Service Provider

On our cat when we visit the Kimberlies up in north western Austrlalia we always carry a semi auto shot gun and a high powered rifle such as my Dads confiscated Vietnam AR15. We use hollow point SS109 (NATO) rounds for the Crocodiles. My weapon of choice in the Northern Territory when ashore is a standard old 1911A1 45 pistol for the feral pigs. You can carry a pistol and shoot pigs there unrestricted. Have to watch out that the pigs aren't full of worms, not too healthy eating.

I'm yet to see a pirate on my travels that has required either of these items to be used between Australia and the lower Asian countries.
ausaviator is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 03:38   #88

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
We have guns in Australia too you know.
On our boat as its a cat we had to double up on everything,one of each in each hull.
We have 2x desert eagle .50 cal
2x AR15's one in each forepeak.
Up on the flybridge we have a stainless handgun hidden.
I have told the kids if anyone boards us and tries to get in to wait for them to be over the hatchs before they let rip with the desert eagles,its much easier to get a panel of perspex replaces than to fix big holes in the fibreglass deck.
LOL
Old 01-05-2012, 03:39   #89

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Got to watch out for the crazy pigs!
Looking forward to sailing lower Asia glad to see no issues with pirates or such.
dirkdig is offline   Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49   #90
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Remember - Guns don't kill people. Americans do .
Finally! I knew if I hung in there reading this I would find some real words!

But I hope you realize us Americans here have been taking notes and making lists on all you foreigners!

Tags
sail