Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2010, 20:42   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

The owners happy if the boat arrives safely and with minimum cost... thats his priority and lets face it.... thats why he hires us...
The Skippers feelings/opinions are irrelevant to him.... in the main... he's paying , and to him thats all that counts... your his for the duration.
The Skippers job is to get the boat from A to B safely and with minimum cost... its part of the job to bite your tongue and be polite...
Even a complete ass can put some work your way if he's happy with your services...

Note; In The Main.... not ALL.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 20:44   #17

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
Actualy, along these lines.

What about using over land delivery? I've seen quite a few nice vessels for sell on the West Coast of North America.

However, I'm in the Gulf of Mexico. Traveling down to the Panama cannal is going to take quite a few days, and probably be uneconomical to hire a caption. So the assumed solution right now would be to wait to buy the boat untill I absoutly had to have it, and then begin the cruise on the West Coast. Another option would be to have the boat shiped overland to the Gulf. The suggested quotes are rather reasonable. Maybe $5,000.

I still don't understand how you can ship a 13 foot wide boat over to the other side of the nation. Is it really that easy?
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 20:56   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

With your subsidised fuel at about a quarter of what we pay in Europe thats probably your cheapest option.... extra wide loads are fairly routine things to organise... any decent trucking company would be capable of organising a route and price accordingly..
Also theres the benefit of lack of 'wear and tear' to the vessel.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 18-03-2010, 08:39   #19

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The owners happy if the boat arrives safely and with minimum cost... thats his priority and lets face it.... thats why he hires us...
The Skippers feelings/opinions are irrelevant to him.... in the main... he's paying , and to him thats all that counts... your his for the duration.
The Skippers job is to get the boat from A to B safely and with minimum cost... its part of the job to bite your tongue and be polite...
Boatman -
Of course what you say is correct but -
My opinions are not irrelevant to me, since I'm the one responsible for the boat. As we say in the states, "The buck stops here".
My feelings are not irrelevant to me either. I decided early on that earning more money did not suit me if all I did was spend it on blood pressure medicine. I am almost always polite in my dealings with others, but I am quite willing to disassociate myself from dealing with jackasses.
Your results may vary.
Old 18-03-2010, 09:45   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

FSMike...
Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments about our(Delivery Skippers) feelings being important to US... I differ..

Once I've taken on/accepted the job and am underway...
I feel honour bound to see it through... for the duration she's 'My boat' and her welfare, safety, and that of those on board is as important to me as the welfare of my own vessel.

If he's that big a 'Jackass' and I've totally lost it there is my reserve option, I can always meet up with him after 'Settlement' of the contract and punch him on the nose before catching the cab to the airport... Cash in pocket, Honour intact..

To date this has never happened though... I'm usually so happy the trip/job is successfully concluded.. I'll clink a celebratory glass, shake his hand and catch that cab...

Jackasses are 1 in a 1000... All Praise to Neptune

Two "Territorial" people on a boat = problems

Old 18-03-2010, 10:07   #21

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Boatman -
I wasn't clear enough. I've never left a boat undelivered (Well, one that was nonfunctional). I was fuming in retrospect about people that I would not deal with in the future. I've had 4 trips with owners aboard and three of them were delightful. I was actually quite grateful for one of them, as the owner was there to watch the boat have various breakages. That way I didn't have to get on the phone to explain why I was stopped again. It's a rare cloud without a silver lining.