Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2017, 14:53   #31

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Cruising with hearing impairment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Today, I believe they have hearing aids that are frequency sensitive. Not just an amplifier as in the past.
That's true; but gone is gone. When one's ability to hear a given frequency is lost, that neural pathway to the brain is gone, it's over.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 15:20   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadrock33 View Post
Biggest issue: people don't enunciate properly or maybe, pronounce their words effectively making sure that the consonants are emphasized . . . guess another word is "SLANG" for what most people say is conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadrock33 View Post
I love the look on people's faces when I tell them NOT to yell at me - just speak plainly and enunciate . . . most can't handle it . . .
I'm sure that you, like me, have problems hearing much of the dialogue on tv - yet in the commercials, when they really want you to know the name of the product and where and how to send the money - crystal clear! And in personal or phone conversations - same thing.

So most people can make themselves understood if it's in their own interest. The rest of the time, they just choose not to.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 15:51   #33

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I know 2 blind cruisers who both stand watches. And I have met many stupid and ignorant cruisers. I certainly would not worry too much about not understanding everything you hear on radio. A ton of it is incoherent to those with the best hearing. And once you are trying to check into a foreign port to a harbormaster in a foreign language or in English with a heavy accent it won't matter too much how well you hear.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 16:09   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
I'm sure that you, like me, have problems hearing much of the dialogue on tv - yet in the commercials, when they really want you to know the name of the product and where and how to send the money - crystal clear! And in personal or phone conversations - same thing.

So most people can make themselves understood if it's in their own interest. The rest of the time, they just choose not to.
It has been against the law for years to have the volume of television commercials louder than the volume of programming. It's yet another law that our government has chosen not to enforce because monied interests tell them not to. I personally threw away my last television years ago.
Old 27-10-2017, 16:13   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
I know 2 blind cruisers who both stand watches. And I have met many stupid and ignorant cruisers. I certainly would not worry too much about not understanding everything you hear on radio. A ton of it is incoherent to those with the best hearing. And once you are trying to check into a foreign port to a harbormaster in a foreign language or in English with a heavy accent it won't matter too much how well you hear.
Thank you for your kind words.
Old 27-10-2017, 16:51   #36

Many good replies, especially from JPA Cates.

The simplest single fix might be a remote loudspeaker whose characteristics overcome one's particular hearing issue. Something that's closer to you, eg a remote speaker at the wheel might be enough. Or a 'horn' type outdoor speaker that boosts voice frequencies. More complex is a filter set followed by an audio amplifier, where you can tune the filter to maximize intelligibility.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 17:56   #37

Boat: CLC Skerry

Bose (and probably others) makes earbuds and headphones with noise-cancelling and Bluetooth. Bose QC30s (or equivalent) and a Bluetooth marine radio might be what you need. I wear QC30s for hours at a time while driving, sailing, etc. They can be paired with your smart phone, car phone, VHF, TV, iPod, etc.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 19:50   #38

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

I am on my 3rd set of aids. This last set were just over $8,000. These Starkey wonders were to give me back my hearing. I have had them for 6 months and they have been programed and adjusted 6 times. Background noise and not being able to understand the words make them no better than the first set on old analogs I had. I have finally accepted the fact that "silence is golden". Dealing with bridge operators and such, I say what I am after and just assume the other end says what I expect and respond as if they did. I seems to get me by. On a personal or social level, I just accept that people don't have the patience to deal with me. My social world has shrink to my wife, my son and my dogs. I have accepted that. I think that hearing loss is in many ways is more disabling than losing a limb or some other visible disability. When I am on my boat and am hailed, I just wave and smile and go about my business. Works for me. Thanks to all for a great discussion of a not often mentioned disability.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 20:36   #39

Look into Audicus much cheaper for the same quality
fredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 00:05   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I had a different take on your thread title and it reminded me of years ago when I was in Linguistics in school, learned sign language over a period of years and became involved in a service organization with the local deaf community. I took one of my friends, who was deaf of deaf parents, for a sail and communication was never a problem no matter where we were or the conditions of wind... It could be howling and we did not need to shout... Then even moreso when we went diving and still maintained normal conversations; I had never had underwater conversations before! And a good stomp on the deck was more than enough of an alert too when needed. In any event it really made me realize deafness (and I know that was not what you were talking about exactly) need not necessarily be an impediment to sailing or cruising or anything for that matter.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 03:44   #41

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

You may find it interesting to read the story of Charl de Villiers, Silent Voyager.
He is deaf and in 2004/5 singlehanded a Tartan 37 around the world.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 06:38   #42

Boat: Outbound 46

You can get useful weather information on the SSB via e-mail using a PACTOR modem. We use the SailMail system, and find it very helpful and worth the annual fee. If you get an amateur radio license, you can get similar service without the fee.

I wear hearing aids, and I can also (usually) make out voice on the SSB.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 09:25   #43

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I have Starkey Bluetooth hearing aids that work beautifully with my phone. I have severe loss for high frequency in my right ear and low frequency in my left one. I can’t hear much if I hold a phone to one ear as I miss something on either side. I rely on speakers. I was an AF pilot many years ago and left with a lot of my hearing gone. Hunting and construction (I’m an Architect) got the rest. I use Bose noise cancelling Headphones (wired) over my hearing aids and they are fantastic. I just need a way to plug into my vhf handheld. Does anyone know of a handheld that will take a 3.5mm connector that is stereo and will work with something like a Bose headset?
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 10:46   #44

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
That's true; but gone is gone. When one's ability to hear a given frequency is lost, that neural pathway to the brain is gone, it's over.
A guy that worked as a tech., for me, I hate that term for me. Was about totally deaf from berth. We remained friends. He got hearing aides and quipped, "The co. would have saved a fortune on oil for squeaks had I gotten them years ago." You can't lip read squeaks.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 11:17   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
I too have diminished hearing and my biggest concern is the alarm buzzers on the MFD and other instruments. If some one could tell me how to hook these up to a louder signal that would be great.
A mechanical bell is far superior as an alarm than some touchy-feely sweet sounding alarm system. It's normally known as a fire alarm bell. I have one on an old 1955 Detroit diesel engine in a equally old work boat that at 1800 RPM is loud "LOUD". The fire alarm clang always works. If you don't hear it you can normally feel it!
It takes more than one person to have a conversation, unless that person is a schizophrenic.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, men