Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 06:54   #1

Boat: Whitby, Alberg 30
Crispy New Sail?

I just purchased a new Dacron mainsail. It has been about 6 years since I previously purchased a new sail and I don’t recall my previous new sail being nearly this stiff. Have I perhaps just forgotten? Do these things loosen up with age and use? It is like a cotton dress shirt with way too much starch (remember those?). As a 70 year old singlehanded handed sailor on a 50 year old cruising boat performance is not my only concern. This sail is just tough to handle! And as far as recommendations about taking it off and rolling it or flaking it at the end of a sail, forget that. It gets stuffed into its own belly and lashed to the boom with reefing nettles at the end of the day.
swordds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 07:01   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Crispy New Sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordds View Post
I just purchased a new Dacron mainsail. It has been about 6 years since I previously purchased a new sail and I don’t recall my previous new sail being nearly this stiff. Have I perhaps just forgotten? Do these things loosen up with age and use? It is like a cotton dress shirt with way too much starch (remember those?). As a 70 year old singlehanded handed sailor on a 50 year old cruising boat performance is not my only concern. This sail is just tough to handle! And as far as recommendations about taking it off and rolling it or flaking it at the end of a sail, forget that. It gets stuffed into its own belly and lashed to the boom with reefing nettles at the end of the day.
Yup, completely normal mate. Even Sunbrella is surprisingly stiff too when new. From my point of view that is a big plus as it makes it easier to work with.
Old 24-05-2020, 20:06   #3

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Crispy New Sail?

The stabilizers in the cloth will wear down. To speed it up you can let your sails luff while you motor into the wind.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail