Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 11:01   #31

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
The very best outfit for cold, wet weather is layers of polypropylene and fleece under good foulies.

Absolutely no cotton should be worn in these conditions. Cotton absorbs moisture holding it against the skin accelerating heat loss. Polypro and fleece, made of plastics, absorb no/little moisture allowing it to pass from the body to outer layers thus keeping you warmer. They also retain their insulating value when wet whereas cotton doesn't.

The first layer should consist of close fitting polypro long johns. The second, a thicker layer of polypro, followed by a fleece insulating layer then foulies. A fleece balaclava (full head and neck ski mask) for the head, cheap snow goggles, (to keep spray out of the eyes), several pair of various thickness fleece gloves and a waterproof outer shell glove. Wool or fleece socks and sea boots.

This type gear can be found at any outdoor shop. On line you might check Campmor.com They carry brand name as well as their own line at very good prices.

As mentioned earlier, for this passage, a immersion suit. You can find them on E-bay, new for under 100. Cheap insurance.

Best of luck!
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:02   #32

Boat: Maine Cat 30 - Jasmine
Interesting. Polypro long johns, not silk?

Also, your comment about tight fit got my attention. The ones I have now are a little baggy, is that a problem?

Lastly, an immersion suit for $100? Really... I thought they were closer to $300...
kevinmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:31   #33

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
Not really a problem. The reasoning behind close, not restrictive, first layer is to keep moisture away from the skin. The closer fit helps in this.

Zip T-necks and underarm zippers, "pit zips" work great for venting excess heat.

Silk works very well as a first layer. I'm just lazy. I prefer the same washing instructions for all my fleece gear. I also always buy black in color. Quicker drying and warmer in the sun.

The thing in cold/wet is dress in layers and no cotton. Much better than single heavy coats/pants.

Do a search on E-Bay for immersion suits. Just saw a new Stearns sold for $78.
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53   #34

I like your writing style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hang on, Gord, you just ramped my pleasant 40-45 to 48-55! With a larger font! I don't know whats worse, the ramp, the increase, or the font.

What would you do?

Come on. Would you think? "Hmmmm 45kts, I could do that". A bit of wind in the face. Coming off th BACK of a low where you know its going to settle. Good boat. Nice wet weather gear. Warm heater below.

I dunno, maybe its just me, but I love it when theres a bit of stick. When the seas grey, the Shearwaters fly close to the waves, the ripples have ripples, the salt stings your face, when you feel the bow begin to rise on a pitch black night and you have just moments to feel if the unseen wave needs you to pinch up; and then have a knife edge so you don't slam down, and you feel when the bow has gone through the crest and there's air while its drops and you feel that surge of the stern when you know the back can't be moving faster than the front. And the wait till you feel the bow touch bottom and shoulder the water as the boat says I'm here, I'm coming through, and you feel the spring of the boat as aft catches up with bow. You feel the wind re-touch your sail as you come up again like a firm hand pulling your forstay down to the water and you bite into the wind for it gives you power, but you only want a bit and shrug the rest off. And this, like this for every moment of your watch, not seeing one wave in the pitch black of your 4 hours, but knowing your watch mate will do the same in his stint.

Give me a palm tree and an island full of girls, but give me a storm to get there so I have a story to tell.

Mark
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 15:49   #35
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
I'll tell ya, Point Conception can be a real bitch.
The current rounding Conception runs S and can get quite strong in a N-NW breese.
Hmmm, having a look at the chart, that area looks like a dogs breakfast, including an escarpment, the 400m contour line is only 15 miles off Point Conception, so that might push the waves up and funnel the southerly set. Plus oil rigs, lots of lights, traffic separation and a missile firing range in the middle of the separation zone! That would be fun to be on the bridge of your oil tanker as you watch a couple F15's scream in and bomb something 1 mile away

Google earth also shows some interesting wave patterns close in. So you would want to give the actual headlands a good offing as well.

34.26 n 120.28 w for those interested.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 16:01   #36

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hmmm, having a look at the chart, that area looks like a dogs breakfast, including an escarpment, the 400m contour line is only 15 miles off Point Conception, so that might push the waves up and funnel the southerly set. Plus oil rigs, lots of lights, traffic separation and a missile firing range in the middle of the separation zone! That would be fun to be on the bridge of your oil tanker as you watch a couple F15's scream in and bomb something 1 mile away

Google earth also shows some interesting wave patterns close in. So you would want to give the actual headlands a good offing as well.

34.26 n 120.28 w for those interested.
Actually, it is best to anchor just south of the point (34.26.43 n 120.27 w) weather permitting, wait for a calm evening and motor like hell around that point, close in (about 1 mile), as far N as you can. Moro Bay is a nice stop.

When I came up from the Galopagos Isl to San Diego, we started getting the Pt Conception effect (sloppy seas) 600 miles out.....and that's no joke.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 17:08   #37

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"
When it gets nasty and it does quickly there aren't many cozy nooks to poke into and wait for your moment between Pt Conception and the Columbia River Bar. You won't be sailing much unless you're real lucky and catch a rare southerly. Hope the cat motors real fast when the s*** hits the fan. Keep the coasties in Coos Bay posted of your position. Saves them a lot of dangerous work.
Good luck.
Hglad
+
hglad is offline   Reply With Quote