Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 09:05   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Cleaning, Compound Rubbing, and Waxing

Top sides is elbow grease. The deck if nonskid, pressure washer might help or a good stiff brush?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 20:50   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5
Re: Cleaning, Compound Rubbing, and Waxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Just a minor terminology issue here. You talk about hull and topsides. This has confused me a long time as well but 'topsides' are the area between where your bottom paint leaves off and your rub rail (might possibly include from the rubrail up too). It is NOT the part you walk on or deck.
I have yet to figure out how people do the million little corners that invariably obstruct the various deck fittings or for that matter how you would deal with antislip areas (I would think that you would not want to run the polisher over it). I must admit to having purchased the polisher, pads and compounds but have yet to get up the nerve or enthusiasm to use the bits in anger. My excuse is that the topsides were done every two years by the boat yard (at an exorbitant cost) and I really need to do the deck but am envisioning a long drawn out hand operation
The first thing that I really need to do is the bit above the rub rail and up to and including the stanchion bases <shudder> I have visions of a week for just that.
I suppose I could take all the stanchions off since they need rebedding but what happens a year down the road ?
In the context of this subject, the topsides is the area between your toe rails. The hull is from the waterline to the toe rails.
Blue Claw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning