Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 17:57   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Re: Circunavigation Let's get real and rough

I think you can find serviceable modified full keel and skeg-hung rudder boats from the 70's-90's for cheap. I sailed a 31' Grampian ketch LA to Fiji, then back... no major failures. Also the pacific Seacraft/Crealock designs have gone 'round many times. IMHO go fiberglass, go with minimal electronics and amenities, just go....
Oronsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 19:44   #32

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner
Don't build - buy used - buy Reinke

Building is for dreamers - Buying used is for sailors.

I was after a mix of Jimmy Cornells Advantura IV in a Sirius 35 package with a twist

- Small and affordable to run
- Aluminium (or steel if not too heavy)
- Accomplished circumnavigator - build for the 7 seas
- Cheap
- Twin keel
- Center cabin (building it as we speak )
- Decks salon - I hate living in a basement!

Now I also wanted a junk rig, as it's the most safe and comfortable cruising rig.
But that may just be a matter of taste.

German designed Reinke was the answer I found.
The alu versions were all professionally built, but fitted out by owners.
Thus a great hull, very capable, but often very cheap to buy.
S10 or S11 is what you are looking for
bootstypen

References:
https://cornellsailing.com/aventura/about-aventura/
www.sirius-werft.de/wpsirius/de/yachten/35ds/

Good luck
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 23:05   #33

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I have not looked on my own for some time, but if memory serves the most common appearance of steel and double keels (no memory if both things ever on the same vessel) seemed to be in the British Isles, Netherlands, and Germany. Good luck in finding what you want or building it.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:19   #34

Boat: B24

I suppose even those of us who haven’t spent a life at sea, but dreamed the dream, have developed a mental picture of the ideal vessel (for doing just that). A well-found vessel certainly increases one’s chances of a successful venture, but some of the best, most renowned skippers have come to grief in a moment of forgetfulness despite purpose-built vessels – and conversely, some of the most illogical floating Tupperware abominations have somehow continued for mile after mile. I always thought steel was the way to go (and scrutinized the single, multi and radius chine plans for years), and despite modern technology, buzz-boxes have built thousands of vessels – although I agree, I’d probably go with MIG these days just for ease of use, TIG if aluminum… But whatever the case, I tend to think smaller than larger...

But, given the seemingly limitless supply of classic plastic out there, I’ve lately decided that with suitable modifications, that may be the way to go – fin keel or no… Keels can be strengthened, rigs can be rethought with additional lowers, runners, inner-stays and the like… chainplates are pretty simple to upgrade (at least those that attach at a real bulkhead or the hull itself), and adding knees (or even false, structural bulkheads) to otherwise cantilevered trunk-cabins may offend the original designers’ sense of open-air esthetes, but can hugely increase the ability of a cabin-top to withstand greenwater, so, many of these weaknesses can be upgraded or eliminated altogether – with thought. And probably for much less effort than building a boat from scratch. The one weakness I’m not too fond of (and mine has it) is the spade rudder – I like keel or transom/stern hung and haven’t yet come to grips with what to do about that, but am thinking about it – the best I’ve come up with so far is a steering vane with independent rudder (that can also serve as an emergency rudder), but that still seems more like a band-aid, than a solution.
Old 12-06-2018, 14:21   #35

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Don't build - buy used - buy Reinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Viking View Post
Building is for dreamers - Buying used is for sailors.

I was after a mix of Jimmy Cornells Advantura IV in a Sirius 35 package with a twist

- Small and affordable to run
- Aluminium (or steel if not too heavy)
- Accomplished circumnavigator - build for the 7 seas
- Cheap
- Twin keel
- Center cabin (building it as we speak )
- Decks salon - I hate living in a basement!

Now I also wanted a junk rig, as it's the most safe and comfortable cruising rig.
But that may just be a matter of taste.

German designed Reinke was the answer I found.
The alu versions were all professionally built, but fitted out by owners.
Thus a great hull, very capable, but often very cheap to buy.
S10 or S11 is what you are looking for
bootstypen

References:
https://cornellsailing.com/aventura/about-aventura/
www.sirius-werft.de/wpsirius/de/yachten/35ds/

Good luck
There are 5 Reinkes based in Chilean Patagonia.. one alloy....maybe 40 feetish.... Dutch flag Argentine owners.
Four bigger steel ones, 2 Chilean, 1 Slovakian, and 1 was american owned ( Charlie Porter ) ..not sure who has her now.

That must tell us something....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 16:56   #36

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

this may or may not be of interest Here is a short list of boats and sailors that circumnavigated solo
LIST OF SOLO CIRCUMNAVIGATORS look at the boats they used..

also Google Jeanne Socrates sailed solo circumnavigated three times or https://svnereida.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...handed_sailors
Old 13-06-2018, 04:19   #37

Boat: 31ft tank

Have a look at the Miura, they are built like a tank. A very popular boat for circumnavigating. Surprisingly quick for its LOA and extremely forgiving in rough weather. Also cheap second hand. I own one and it's a fantastic boat. My one has done 1.5 circumnavigations before I acquired it and plan to add another 1 to that tally.

SA Yacht Blog: Miura
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 04:25   #38

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
Have a look at the Miura, they are built like a tank. A very popular boat for circumnavigating. Surprisingly quick for its LOA and extremely forgiving in rough weather. Also cheap second hand. I own one and it's a fantastic boat. My one has done 1.5 circumnavigations before I acquired it and plan to add another 1 to that tally.

SA Yacht Blog: Miura

Miura is pretty similar to mine , i believe is not capable for my intends of use , but looks like a nice boat!!!!!!
I love the skeg transform hugging rudder , one of the best i have seen on GRP boats.
As it seems fo now i am closing to a Koopmans or Ovni design, koopmans are closer to my budget.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 07:00   #39

Boat: formerly, Allied Seabreeze 35 sloop; now 21' Cobalt bowrider

An Allied Seabreeze 35 sloop in good condition will do all that you ask, and give you a comfortable motion in rough weather. The design is not far from that of Finisterre, and the boats -- particularly the earlier boats -- carry Monel fittings and are substantially overbuilt. As Allied suggested, many of the later boats had 1,000 pounds of ballast (lead) added, and my comments refer to this version. Ours was repowered with a Beta Marine 35 diesel, which was an ideal engine for her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0160.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	171765  
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 07:21   #40
Marine Service Provider

This is for dcstrng. I am 74 and planning a circumnavigation. If you are in decent shape, you should be able to do the same. As you are surely aware, sailing today, unless you're going to the southern oceans, is pretty easy. With all the navagational aids available, you would have to work to get lost. Remember when you had to use a sextant? And there was no such thing as weatherfax or AIS? I still use the sextant as a back up but I haven't needed it for years. If you basically follow the trades, you should have few problems. If you're worried about health, what better place to "kick the bucket"? I'd just as soon die at sea as in my rocking chair. Frankly, at the risk of over stating the situation: these days, you could shave a monkey and he could sail a boat.
Old 15-06-2018, 09:08   #41

Boat: 1991 Huntingford custom SeaMaid 45’ ketch

Decide if you want to sail or build. There are plenty of rugged boats out there of all materials.
phoenix-marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:19   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
As it seems fo now i am closing to a Koopmans or Ovni design, koopmans are closer to my budget.

Please keep us posted. An Ovni is what I thought about when I read your first boat. There are lots of them on yachtworld. There is also an Ovni's owner page on facebook. I'm sure if you wanted to try one out, you could join the group and ask to crew with someone.

Best of luck!
fschaefer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:25   #43

Now that we have your budget and age I have a suggestion. Look up the boat Satori a westsail 32 that survived a hurricane and ended up beached without a crew and dragged off the beach, with minor repairs sailed thereafter across the pacific. I use to own a westsail 32 and you can find one in your price range and save the time to build something. Hand laid glass very strong. There were two negatives for the boat, one cockpit was not very comfortable without cockpit combing to prevent wet butts when hard on the wind, and poor windward performance. You can also find sometimes Tayana 37's available with similar handling but with more comfort in cockpit and slightly better windward performance. But the larger you get the more difficult to sail solo. if you get either make sure that the engine is sufficient size for displacement of the vessel. Some had 24 or 25 hp engines which are not large enough to move the boat properly in heavy seas. 40 hp or so works much better. I like heavy displacement boats as it allows you to carry enough fuel and water (watermakers are fine if they do not fail and have gotten much better in recent years though rather expensive) You can also carry sufficient stores for a long journey away from populated areas.
Lastly, if you can find an old alberg 30 or 35 and Pearsons in the 35 to 38 and Allieds 30 to 39 work well. Consider the type of rig you wish. I like cutters and the westsail for example with large rudder could heave too with just the staysail which is nice short handed. No need to reefed main in most conditions. Cutter Ketches give you lots of variation of sail plans including a shorter main mast to allow easier handling of the main and though more sails, each is smaller and thus easier to sail. I sailed on an Allied Cutter rig once at 32 feet and was shocked at how easy it sailed compared to the westsail 32. It was lighter and with a bit less beam thus smaller sail plan and better upwind sailing and more comfortable cockpit. It also carried less water and fuel by almost half. My westsail carried 80 gallons of fuel and 150 gallons of water in tanks on top of the keel.

You are young. take your time sail other boats and think of it like trying to find the perfect women!!! Good luck
terry
seatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:55   #44

Boat: Nicholson 32 Mk X

Why seek to reinvent the wheel? Have a look at the entrants for the Golden Globe race that is starting shortly from the west coast of France. Rules and permitted models copied below. I have a particular interest as there is one of my make and model going for it [Nicholson 32 Mk X]. The common theme of these boats is that they are built to last and have a long and proud history of sailing the seven seas and surviving anything and everything that is thrown at them. My model is as bombproof as you can get, holds a steady course and tracks beautifully. And what's more you can buy one for very much less than many other models that are simply just not up to the standard needed.
Good luck with your hunt, see you out there!

Of fibre reinforced plastic construction.
Designed prior to 1988 and have a minimum series of 20 yachts built from one mould.
Have a hull length of between 32ft and 36ft. Bowsprits, wind vanes and outboard rudders, boomkins, pushpits and pulpits are not measured.
Have full-length keels with rudders attached to the trailing edge.
A minimum design displacement is 6,200kg.
2018 Golden Globe Race approved designs: Westsail 32 • Tradewind 35 • Saga 34 • Saltram 36 • Vancouver 32 & 34 • OE 32 • Eric (sister ship to Suhaili) • Aries 32 • Baba 35 • Biscay 36 • Bowman 36 • Cape Dory 36 • Nicholson 32 MKX-XI • Rustler 36, Endurance 35, Gaia 36, Hans Christian 33T, Tashiba 36, Cabo Rico 34, Hinckley Pilot 35, Lello 34, Gale Force 34.
straightman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 12:17   #45

I'm using statistics to help identify my boat for same purpose as yours.

Understand your boat and her statistics

Many of the global race entries above fit these stats.

Older build seems to be the best!!
KatMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation