Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 15:33   #1

Boat: New to sailing not sure which fits me best yet
Central Coast California Sailors

Hello,

I am new to the forums and have caught a fever for sailing! Currently do not own a boat, nor have any first hand sailing experience though i have been on the high seas before, but on rather large ships. Most of the research I have been doing has me leaning towards not buying a boat, even a cheap one, until i have gotten some experience under my belt and have a better idea of what type of boat fits my needs.

Several places have said try volunteering for a crew, or get in contact with the local sailing community etc. I have been looking here in SLO county, and there doesn't seem to be many clubs about. Just curious if any members here are in the area and can help get me pointed in the right direction as far as getting contacts etc.

I do see there is a yacht club in morro bay, whom ive already emailed the port master and am setting up sailing lessons for june/july. I have also seen the Avila Beach Yacht club, but they have little to no info on their website. Does anyone know of any other local resources to the area? Im willing to commute if i have to. Hoping to learn as much as possible over the next year or so and then purchase a boat.

Thanks in advance!
IndelibleSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 16:48   #2

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter
Re: Central Coast California Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleSea View Post
Hello,

I am new to the forums and have caught a fever for sailing! Currently do not own a boat, nor have any first hand sailing experience though i have been on the high seas before, but on rather large ships. Most of the research I have been doing has me leaning towards not buying a boat, even a cheap one, until i have gotten some experience under my belt and have a better idea of what type of boat fits my needs.

Several places have said try volunteering for a crew, or get in contact with the local sailing community etc. I have been looking here in SLO county, and there doesn't seem to be many clubs about. Just curious if any members here are in the area and can help get me pointed in the right direction as far as getting contacts etc.

I do see there is a yacht club in morro bay, whom ive already emailed the port master and am setting up sailing lessons for june/july. I have also seen the Avila Beach Yacht club, but they have little to no info on their website. Does anyone know of any other local resources to the area? Im willing to commute if i have to. Hoping to learn as much as possible over the next year or so and then purchase a boat.

Thanks in advance!
I hope you can find something up in the SLO area. When we lived in Orcutt, we sailed out of Ventura for about 8 years. Yes, that was 106 miles each way, but we really loved sailing that area of the coast. As you know, there are some die hards up in Port San Luis, but more going on in the Morro Bay area.

There is a poster on this site who lives on his boat in Morro Bay and has a watermaker repair business. Name here is SV Third Day. Contac him. Last time we were there was to tour the Bounty.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ce-143906.html

We still drive (in Va) our 91 Westy that GoWesty in the Los Osos area worked on it once. Great area to live in.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 16:54   #3

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Santa Barbara is the birthplace of Pirate Sailing (founded by my son, Daniel Bean - Fleet Admiral and Dictator for Life). Find it on Facebook. Learn to sail; learn to maneuver to advantageous positions vs. enemy vessels for water cannon fire. Fun is involved.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 16:59   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

I don't know anything about the Morro Bay area, but the yacht club is your best bet. It's great that you're taking the initiative. You should also find out when they have their races (beer can and longer offshore stuff) and also cruising events. Then you might want to show up on the dock a couple hours before the gun on race night wit appropriate gear and a 6-pack of beer or bag of chips for afterwards. Someone most likely will take you onboard (it might seem awkward to ply the docks, but it works). Cruising events will give you more a sense of what's nice about a "non-racing" boat and introduce you to a different way of sailing. The other thing is to keep an eye on the crew wanted listings in Latitude 38. Good luck and have fun!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:22   #5

Hello aspiring Sailor. I know what you mean about how infectious it is! I live on the East Coast and here in Ma. there are many yahoo groups that are sailing oriented. The is Crewfinder, Boston Social Sailing and Narragansett Bay Sailors to name a few. I've got to believe that such groups probably exist in your area. Worth a google. Have fun. :-)
phcagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:16   #6

Boat: Gozzard 36

My suggestion (FWIW) is that if you are truly serious about wanting to get into sailing and want to become a knowledgeable sailor is to approach it in a planned and determined way.

First take 'desk' lessons from your local Power and Sail Squadron (not only will you learn the 'right stuff' but will also meet other sailors or wannabees), then supplement that by taking some cruise and learn courses.

Then when you have some certifications you can then charter or at least offer yourself out as a 'qualified' crew member.

After that you can start looking for your own boat to buy because by then you will have learned what you truly like doing (day sails/offshore/coastal or cruising) and will have also learned what it is you do or don't want in a boat.

Good luck--and if you do persist then you will find that not only has it been worthwhile (and fun while doing it) but that there is no life like it.
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:22   #7

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Pull up the MBYC's website and look at the calendar for ocean and harbor races. Ocean fleet best bet. Races usually start at noon with a 10:30 captain's meeting where you can introduce yourself and your desire to crew. Friendly bunch.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:18   #8

Best sailing on the Central Coast is in Santa Barbara, not only do we have the biggest harbor, most sail boats, rentals are readily available. Santa Barbara Yacht Club is the second oldest in the State (1872) after St. Francis YC in San Fran, very actively club racing, etc. And best sailing lessons, charter boats are here as well.
Wet Wednesdays are every week in daylight savings time and a great time to get on a boat, to begin by participating as "rail meat"
Let me know which Wednesday you would like to come down as my guest and check things out. David 805-886-5079
dwhardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:10   #9

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate the feedback! I reside in grover beach ca. I'll definitely be making it to morro bay , and will try and do Santa Barbara, is it just me or is the avila yacht club the least active of them all? Or are they just not friendly towards non members? They are the closest to me which is why I ask. Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-04-2015, 17:53   #10

Can't find a edit button, but I guess in my previous post I'm referring to the San Luis Obispo yacht club not Avila, but that is where it's located.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:05   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

Hello IndelibleSea and welcome-

At present I am serving as Ocean Fleet Captain at MBYC and we are having a race on Saturday, April 18th. My boat needs a crew and there are at least two other boats that want crew. Our races start at noon and usually take 2 to 3 hours. Skipper's meeting is at 1030 and you can show up a little early if you want to check out the various boats that will be racing. We have everything from a Farr 40 and J-130 to little cruisers like my Pacific Seacraft Dana (and Columbia 29's). Send me a personal message and we can talk more by e-mail.

Ken,
s/v Evening Tide
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:40   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningTide View Post

At present I am serving as Ocean Fleet Captain at MBYC and we are having a race on Saturday, April 18th. My boat needs a crew and there are at least two other boats that want crew. Our races start at noon and usually take 2 to 3 hours. Skipper's meeting is at 1030 and you can show up a little early if you want to check out the various boats that will be racing. We have everything from a Farr 40 and J-130 to little cruisers like my Pacific Seacraft Dana (and Columbia 29's). Send me a personal message and we can talk more by e-mail.

Ken,
s/v Evening Tide
Good On You Ken,
The best information about ALL aspects of sailing, racing, and cruising came from our local Yacht Club.. And MBYC is one of the best.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningTide View Post

Ken,

s/v Evening Tide

PM sent, thanks Ken !

Old 19-04-2015, 14:17   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

We got Chris out for his first sail on the ocean yesterday. It was a perfect day with sun, 12 knots of wind and swells less than six feet. In other words, all you could hope for on the Central Coast in the spring.
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 21:53   #15

Good on you guys. I hope you got him addicted. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, sail