Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 07:04   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to rupertfb Send a message via Skype™ to rupertfb
Re: Bypassing islands from the Carribean to US

I sail this route regularly as a Delivery Skipper, and this is my 2 penny worth!
1. Stop in as few places as possible
2. If your destination is FLL, its actually advantageous to stop in the USVI to clear US customs (and do some shopping) before progressing. I recommend Charlotte Amalie, as the Customs Office there is helpful and attentive.
3. Other countries: There is always conflicting information on how welcome you are in any one country. I use 'Noonsite.com' as my most trusted/up-to-date source....but will always cross-check before landing in, say, Ts and Cs, or BHS.
4. As far as I know, 'Innocent Passage' was only interrupted briefly in the BVI (and they severely damaged their tourism as a result). Even at the height of COVID, the BHS would allow you to anchor and rest, and even refuel as long as you didn't get off the boat; ie - no shopping. Now, they are open again.

Drop me a PM if you'd like to continue this conversation verbally.

Rupert Forester-Bennet
Charleston
Delivery Skipper
rupertfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I am planning a sailboat delivery from the southern Caribbean to Fort Lauderdale Florida in March. Covid testing requirements will complicate check-in/out and cause delays, and the requirements might change suddenly (including possible lock-downs), so the goal would be to minimize stops or go straight through, if possible.

Assuming the boat won't anchor nor crew go ashore: How close can one pass to Caribbean islands without requirement to check in? Will the Bahama authorities allow a boat to pass through its waters (or sail on the Great Bahama Bank at the edges of Bahamian waters) without stopping to check-in?

Thanks in advance.
"Free passage" should apply, but the French like to stick their oar in. Contact them first rather than just arriving.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:18   #18

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

I did a passage between Grenada and Charleston S Carolina last March on a delivery. It wasn’t a rumor that boats were being accosted in BVI. We contacted them and were told not to pass through BVI waters unless we planned to follow their quarantine protocols. We checked in at USVI so we would not have to do it again. It worked out well, but the passage north across the Gulf Stream was a mistake. Otherwise, given the same circumstances I’d make the passage to Florida possibly S of the Bahamas.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 17:54   #19

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
There was a rumor, perhaps true, that charterers wandering from USVI into BVI waters were accosted by the gendarmerie. And that was just cutting a corner, as it were.

Your best option is to contact the officials directly as you plan your passage.
Good advice
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 18:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
No, I am stuck in PA. Got some medical stuff unexpectedly came up. Looks like Feb/March before I am free. Still hoping.

All the best and a speedy recovery for you. Those dratted unexpectedlies often come up, darn them. It's like a boat...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 18:51   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Stu,
Thanks for that.
Can’t wait to get outta here.
We have gotten use to a better life style.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 16:24   #22

Boat: Liberty 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
In June of 2020 we made the passage from Dominica to Beaufort, NC non-stop without incident. We passed between Celubra and the USVI.
Sorry you missed "Culebra", one of the best around - very easy entry, Covid process also easy. Dont know your sources but around PR it is not bad to passage, not worst than any other area, certainly easier in Covid times.
commander500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 18:12   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Did Culebra in 2017. Have vacationed on Vieques even earlier, shared time between there and El Yunque.

We enjoyed the passage.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 18:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewide View Post
...If you depart from the USVI and arrive at a US mainland port without entering any country in between, it is a domestic voyage and you do not need to check into the USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2jones View Post
.... We checked in at USVI so we would not have to do it again. It worked out well, but the passage north across the Gulf Stream was a mistake. Otherwise, given the same circumstances I’d make the passage to Florida possibly S of the Bahamas.
This may work for some people, but it is not technically correct. The USVI are outside the US Customs territory. When returning to the US from the USVI it is domestic travel but you have to clear Customs. This is true for plane flights or boats.US boats traveling USVI to Puerto Rico have to clear Customs in PR because PR is inside the US Customs territory. Same for travel USVI to CONUS.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Carribean