Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2020, 07:47   #106

Re: Boat Size For Single Handle Sailing

There are several sailboat rental sites. RENT several different sized boats, and try each for a week or more. Find an EXPERIENCED crew member on "Find a Crew" or some such site (just to have a back up if you need it). then you will have a good idea of what you can handle.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 07:48   #107

Boat: John G. Alden transitional schooner, 60' Length on Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
Thanks again for the input. I do want a cruising boat, and I want something comfortable. I understand or at least it seems to me that part of the hardest part is docking and mooring. Honestly I thought when I posted this, I was going to get an answer like xy&z are great boats. I apparently and I know I have a lot to learn.

@Thomm I plan on checking out numerous boats but before I spend the time and effort to do so I want an idea of exactly the kind of boat that I want and then check out different makes, models and sizes. As far as spending that kind of money on a boat, I know I will enjoy sailing. I love to travel and this seems like a great way to explore the world. With that being said, I don’t want to be turned off from sailing because I go with something inexpensive and it turns out to be a unruly lemon. In my experience quality makes all the difference in the world on things that are enjoyable. Case in point that comes to my head is that a friend and I both hot tubs about a year apart. I spent about 4K more then he did, but I love mine and have had no problem. He spends more time fixing that POS then he does enjoying it. While I appreciate value, I also find the value in knowing I have something safe, reliable and fun.

Also while I do plan on sailing extensively my plan is to sail somewhere, moor, explore for a while and then set off somewhere else. I am most comfortable living out of my pack with a tent and a pad rather than a resort with a spa.
There is a great deal of good advice above. But in scanning the posts I didn't see enough weight given to a few more items:

- Most people assume the boat needs to be a sloop. This is primarily because other rigs have been out of fashion in recent decades. You'll find that most sailors can manage a sail of about 500 sq. ft. without much trouble. If you divide the sail area up, as it is in a ketch or schooner, then it's much easier to sail the boat. I've sailed a 65' ketch over 20,000 miles from the US W Coast through the S. Pacific, around NZ, and all over the place, with just my wife and me. We now own a 60' schooner which we double hand.

The schooner rig is much easier to sail than even a ketch, as the boat will lie head to wind by itself while you put up or take down sails. Sloops and cutters won't generally do that.

- The length of the boat doesn't determin it's size. The size of a boat is best measured by its displacement (what it weighs). Critically, you need to estimate the displacement fully loaded with water, food, fuel, spare parts, etc... The difficulty of sailing, anchoring, and manuvering a boat is related to its weight, not its length. Sadly, highly manuverable and fast modern boats are very light and as a result neither hold a lot of gear, nor do they sail comfortably in a rough sea. If you load up a light boat, it'll often be so heavy that it won't outsail a heavy boat.

As you go through your learning process, go sailing with people. Most sailors will give you a ride and let you drive their boat. Try out all different types of boats: full-keel, fin-keel, spade rudder, skeg rudder, bow-thruster, sloop, ketch, schooner, yawl, cutter. Learn the ways in which these boats are diffrent. Their differences matter.

Sadly, many people buy a boat based upon their comfort sitting in a slip. That matters a little, but not much. You'll want a boat that is comfortable, stable, and seaworth if you're going anywhere. Many of the modern boats are relatively poor habits in rough seas. Indeed, many of them have an uncomfortable ride in what many of us consider beautiful sailing weather in the trade-winds. (17-25 knots of wind, 5-7' chop and a 6' swell.)

Sail a LOT. Learn a lot. Try a lot of options. Don't decide based on "advice" from self-appointed experts. Including me. Good luck.
Old 31-08-2020, 07:50   #108

Size is relative- I single hand my Catalina 42 quite easily- all lines including reef are lead aft into the cockpit. I can throw a reef in and curl the head sail while staying safely in the cockpit. I think a bow thruster is essential, as is a strong electric windlass. I don’t have any electric winches aboard, but will add a cordless right angle drill and a winch bit wouldn’t live full time on anything smaller than 40 - I like headroom and a heavier boat as it’s a more comfortable ride, plus I have room for a GenSet, Watermaker, sails, tools & provisions without feeling cramped. A second head is nice as well, as they are on opposite tacks. With $80k, plan to spend some money on older systems, like Electronics and refrigerator, etc. also sails- that’s the last thing people replace on older boats it seems!
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 07:59   #109

Boat: Tillotson Pearson J/24

36' or around it. Furler main and jib. Autopilot.
carlosbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 07:59   #110

That is a complex question and you may not know until you put in some time sailing. While taking classes you meet have an opportunity to sail as crew on boats of different lengths, keel types, displacements or sail configurations. This may tell you more than all the forums although I am not knocking the forums. But by all means continue to read this forum or others and glean the knowledge you can. Also consider where you plan to live aboard. If you will have a home port find out if there are size restrictions for liveaboards. My own marina states that the minimum size for a liveaboard is 38 feet (without special permission). I have been sailing for 60 years and I would think 36 footer is the lower limit. Experience is the best teacher so make friends and be a good guest until you make up your mind.
abuzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 08:04   #111

Boat: C&C 40 AC

I Was in the same place you are now when I bought a 1983 C&C 40 in 2017, great for singlehanded, +20,000 NMs behind me. But now I’m selling her to upsize as there 2 aboard and we need more space/beds for the Kids and grandchildren. You’ll find them in $35k range +-$10k. Good speed, good in rough seas, Easy to handle and dock. Mine has a swing keel so it’s 4’10” or 8’ 10 which is great for the Bahamas and getting in and out of small harbors.
ikebartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 08:05   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
I am as new as they come to sailing with my ASA classes starting at 101 - 108 in November. I have a budget of 80K for a boat. I want something comfortable as I plan on living on it, but manageable for single handle sailing. Is there a certain manufacturer or features that I should look for in a boat? How big is too big, and how small is too small to be comfortable on passages? I am searching now, as I figured this gives me about a year to do my homework and settle on what I want.
Put off making the decision of what boat to buy for as long as you can, and in that time, get as much experience as you can. There are sites for people who want to crew for other people on voyages. Cruiser's forum might even have opportunities like that. See what kind of sailor you are before choosing a boat.
Herb Shallcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 08:18   #113

Boat: Crowther Custom Performance Cat

There is an age and a stage for everything.

You mention your skill level but not your physical ability. This makes a difference. Assuming middle age and average physical ability I would recommend the following:
1. All lines lead to cockpit. Almost more important than length is arrangement of lines and accessibility. If all lines lead to the helm/cockpit you are able to single hand much easier.
2. Charter, charter, charter. Take 5-10% of your budget and try some boats out by chartering. Sailing is not just boat size and skill. It is about compiling your experiences to become a better sailor. Smaller boats are more forgiving because the use less force and weight with their movements.

I would stick to 27-30 foot boat for a year ... maybe this year while you charter. See what you like and what you miss. This is how most of us select a boat. I captain a commercial 46’ cat but would never consider taking sailing classes and buying a 40’ or anything close without sailing a lot first.

After a year of significant sailing (which can be done in fun locations even during corona) you will know the answer to your question. Without this experience actually on larger boats, I would never suggest you purchase anything larger than. 32’ for your first sailboat. Good news is there are tons of boats in this size for sale - well below your budget

Unless you out the time in, my respectful suggestion is 27-32’ top size And sail the hell out of her so you learn the lessons only the ocean can teach you. Sailing is not hard but it is “applied” learning versus theoretical/ class learning. I originally thought he was kidding, but the best sailor I ever met swore he could smell the land in the middle of a fog bank — the man had fifty years of seamanship under his belt and he was usually right and always safe. Charter for a year at least.
JimmyDarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 08:36   #114

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Look for a Hunter or Catalina, 30 to 35 feet. And join a SAILING CLUB, be with other sailors and learn from them.
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 09:12   #115

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

My feeling is that it depends a lot on boat layout and how conservative you are willing to be with weather. A bigger boat would more likely have electric winches and all lines led to cockpit etc. after a Fair number of years racing and chartering other people’s boats I found a 46 ft that is perfect for me to singlehand for extended periods. But for ocean passages (and for me any overnight) I want to have at least one more experienced sailor aboard. When things go wrong it always seems to be at night, crap weather. Etc. My skills, attitude and experience don’t allow me to feel comfortable solo overnight. Yet. Perhaps eventually. But I haven’t had problems finding people I want to to join for long legs of it ends up with a week or so in the Bahamas. Then I’m happy to sail alone for a few months.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 09:31   #116

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I think it has more to do with the rig and the way it is laid out and what mechanical advantages are employed, more than length. But I'd personally probably draw the line under 40' somewhere.

edit: Oh I should add, for singlehanding you might also consider a rig like an unstayed mast (Freedom yachts) and with a wishbone, (as in Nonsuch yachts,) or a junk rig (never tried it but some folks swear by them for ease of handling.
https://sailboatdata.com/builder/freedom-yachts
https://nonsuch.org/
https://www.pbo.co.uk/seamanship/ber...junk-rig-17481
I second that on the Freedom Yachts. I owned the freedom 32 for years, love that more than any I’ve owned. Now I have a Beneteau 473. Sometimes I wish I had the freedom back! Ha. So easy to sail, everything works from the cockpit, everything simple, no big sails, etc. Maybe check them out?
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 09:39   #117

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Lots of good advice here. Mine is to take your sailing classes first while bumming rides on as many different boats as you can. THEN and only then think about buying something.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 09:47   #118

The normal criteria to consider for single handing is sail size. For decades its been the normal criteria that a sail of no more than 300sq ft is the max size a single hander can comfortably handle alone. This is one of the reasons than a lot of single-handers who do long ocean passages opt for cutter rigged ketch's . This reduces the sail size again. I single handed my 47ft ketch comfortably on my own. The real problem comes with maneuvering in harbour's and close quarters, but normally good preparation and patience can solve this.
martin.purser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 10:03   #119

Boat: Anchor Yachts, Compass 47 "Enigma"

Between a minitransat to an open 60, and dont forget the cats too
gerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 10:56   #120

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.purser View Post

The normal criteria to consider for single handing is sail size. For decades its been the normal criteria that a sail of no more than 300sq ft is the max size a single hander can comfortably handle alone. (...)

I will agree, but I will propose that this formula was designed before good furlers were designed, before things like in-mast mains too.

Then again since two sails of 300 sq ft make up a kit of 600 sq ft (main + jib) sail kit and this in turn should drive a well designed hull of say 7-8 t. displacement, and such a hull will be then about 36-38 ft long ...

Of course, one can go beyond 40 ft and 8t - allowing for lower rig OR more masts OR better sail control systems OR ... sailing a bit slower.

At the point of writing this, there are at least two single handers out there - Yann Quenett and Sven Yrvind. Yann is the younger one and his sail looks about 150 sq ft. Sven is older and opted for smaller sails about 50 sq ft each, I think.

There are also other single handers around but they seem to be busy now posting at CF. I think this does not count as sailing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailing, single, size