Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2013, 10:18   #16

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
Re: Boat Buying Tips Wanted (1st boat)

So much great info.!! I'm expecting to have to fix/replace/upgrade things on whatever boat I get, because I know things break and need replacing. Fortunately I am working and will have money coming in, so I'm not all that concerned about having an immediate cushion of money set aside out of that $40k. I plan to live on this boat also, so I won't be also having to pay mortgage/rent on a house at the same time.

I'm 5'10" (although I'd like to think I'm 5'11" lol), so the 6'2 - 6'4 headroom I'm seeing will work, and no wife, so I don't have to factor in anyone else's needs list. My needs list come pretty standard, luckly for me - wheel steering, a common-parts diesel engine, and I'd really like a boat where I can just drop the table down to form a double berth, as I've found V-berths to feel a bit too cramped for me personally. I also live in the Seattle area, where there are a lot of boats that come up for sale. The reason I've asked about Canada is that I've seen a couple boats up there with potential.
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 11:38   #17

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Re: Boat Buying Tips Wanted (1st boat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Some C&C's (watch for cored hulls!) .
Are you saying cored hulls are good or bad?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 12:09   #18

Boat: Hunter 31
If there is any diesel in the tank, DO NOT run it. Have it all sucked out and disposed of. Make sure the tank and lines are free of algae by flushing them back into the tank. Otherwise that unstable decomposing fuel will clog up your engine and cause a breakdown a few hours into your first run.

Also, make sure you have like 4 weeks in your schedule for "proving" the boat. Gives you enough time to have any hard to find engine parts sourced and delivered. Don't plan on making any big trips the day or week after you buy.

Read the "At wits end" thread to read how utterly horrible it is to go broke and get stranded while nursing a messed up boat back to health. Dont be that guy. Realize that any part on your boat that you have not personally inspected or replaced is probably about to fail. Boats are not like new cars or condos with a guarantee. They take weeks of painstaking service each year to operate safely.
Sierahotel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, wanted