Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 12:35   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Boat Boys - moorings and tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Sounds like Extortion.
Paying "Protection Money"
But probably a good idea in some ports.
To me it sounds more like poverty. These guys are ready to work for you and earn a few bucks if you give them a chance.

I recall a steady stream of locals coming by our boat offering every service you could imagine...cleaning, sanding, brightwork, etc. And ladies offering laundry services, which at the time we were very glad to see.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 12:56   #17

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
To me it sounds more like poverty. These guys are ready to work for you and earn a few bucks if you give them a chance.

I recall a steady stream of locals coming by our boat offering every service you could imagine...cleaning, sanding, brightwork, etc. And ladies offering laundry services, which at the time we were very glad to see.
Aha, someone does get it. I recall flying in to places like Guatemala where your luggage would be picked up quickly and you better hurry to keep up as it was carried to a taxi. That was years ago and I don't even recall what we tipped. However, it struck me how hard these kids who shouldn't have to work were working for so little and I was glad to give them even a little extra. An amount which meant so little to me meant so much to them.

We tip dock hands and we haven't encountered boat boys yet as we generally use marinas. But, when we do, we'll gladly tip them. It's a way of making a charitable contribution to someone willing to work for it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 13:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Aha, someone does get it. I recall flying in to places like Guatemala where your luggage would be picked up quickly and you better hurry to keep up as it was carried to a taxi. That was years ago and I don't even recall what we tipped. However, it struck me how hard these kids who shouldn't have to work were working for so little and I was glad to give them even a little extra. An amount which meant so little to me meant so much to them.

We tip dock hands and we haven't encountered boat boys yet as we generally use marinas. But, when we do, we'll gladly tip them. It's a way of making a charitable contribution to someone willing to work for it.
Totally. I tip well everywhere I go. I have no problem tipping someone for their work... especially someplace where folks really need the money. However, shakedowns are not my cup of tea. I'll keep it positive and see how goes.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 13:47   #19

Boat: Outbound 46

We have spent 7 seasons on the yo-yo up and down the Eastern Caribbean, and have grown to really appreciate the services of the "boat boys" (some are women, by the way). These folks are just trying to find a way to survive in a really tough economic environment. Many have really useful services to offer. We have always felt that we have a moral obligation to support the economies of these fabulous islands.

In practice, if you show respect and interest, most of these folks will go way over the top to be helpful. We have had great experiences on all the islands, including Sourfrier/Pitons on St. Lucia, but you have to be in charge of your own boat and make it clear what help you want/need.

After a few years, you know how is helpful and who is simply out for money. Some of the folks that Chris Doyle has had problems with have been absolutely joys to interact with -- again approaching with respect.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 14:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
This is what I was worried about... Thanks for the advice. We're going to hit Mustique, Mayreau, and Tobago Cays for some diving.
Don't bother about Mustique. It is false and overrated. Bequia is far far nicer, Mayreau and Tobago Cays are definitely worth going to.

Good diving )if you have your own gear) in Bequia (Devils Table), L'ance Guyac (Canouan) and Chatham Bay on Union Island. Tobago Cays has great diving in the channel between Cays and Mayreau - nothing special on outer reef.
shawndear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 14:19   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Totally. I tip well everywhere I go. I have no problem tipping someone for their work... especially someplace where folks really need the money. However, shakedowns are not my cup of tea. I'll keep it positive and see how goes.

Here’s the problem. The boat boys are ruthless, they offer services that you mostly don’t want or need, and won’t take no for an answer.
If I hired someone to varnish and they did a great job I’d tip them. But if I’m going to anchor my boat in a spot that I’m familiar with, and the boat boy shows up to direct the hook off of the bow towards the bottom.....I won’t tip for that.
I also have a problem paying for services I didn’t request such as the luggage movers or windshield washers. If a poor begger rubs muddy water on my clean window without expressed consent, they’re not getting paid, there was no verbal contract.
It may seem harsh, but I hate encouraging behavior that nets no benefit for anyone involved.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 14:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndear View Post
Don't bother about Mustique. It is false and overrated. Bequia is far far nicer, Mayreau and Tobago Cays are definitely worth going to.

Good diving )if you have your own gear) in Bequia (Devils Table), L'ance Guyac (Canouan) and Chatham Bay on Union Island. Tobago Cays has great diving in the channel between Cays and Mayreau - nothing special on outer reef.
Awesome. Thanks Shawndear. We've got our own gear. I was reading that it's not permitted to dive in Tobago Cays without a guide though... Was that your experience?
Old 19-12-2017, 14:36   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

These stories make me appreciate the South Pacific cruising grounds all the more...

Jim
Old 19-12-2017, 15:30   #24

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Totally agree...

For us , one sailing vacation in the area from St. Lucia ( the moorings had a base in marrgiot bay back in those days ) down the chain to Petite St. Vincent, and had to sail all the way back up. No drop offs in Grenada at that time.

We never returned to those cruising grounds again. We have however, done 16 BVI trips and love the area, as well as the French West Indies, and the Bahamas.

Best for us, was not to return to the windwards. Actually, we also did not like to see the poverty that was evident inland.

Actually, we had some great, and long and fast passages. And met nice folks, but just did not want to return.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 17:11   #25

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

When your a cruiser, the boat boys back off after you are there for a couple days. In the Tobago keys, we decided to get two lobster for our anniversary. Forgot how much a pound, but they showed us on the scale the weight. I got my scale, which showed half of theirs. They laughed and said "OK Skip". They can be a service.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 17:18   #26

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:

Thank you. Some folks have no concept of poverty.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 18:06   #27

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Boat Boys - moorings and tipping

Quote:

If they want work they should enumerate their value. I’m not saying they don’t provide value, just that if they want to earn money what I am getting for my money should be obvious.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 03:28   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 'Rogue'

We are in Tobago Cays now. The only boat boys here are trying to sell bread and lobsters but will get anything from union island for you. They are not pushy at all. The park ranger will be onto you pretty quick for his 10ec per person though.
We just dropped anchor near bridal island with no problem but its windy and not overly nice here really. Bequia was really nice and again the boat boys were fine. No hassling and just offering a service.

If you see a beneteau oceanis 50 called Rogue full of kids then say hi or if you like peace and quiet avoid us like a rash......
B00B00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 04:49   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00B00 View Post
We are in Tobago Cays now. The only boat boys here are trying to sell bread and lobsters but will get anything from union island for you. They are not pushy at all. The park ranger will be onto you pretty quick for his 10ec per person though.
We just dropped anchor near bridal island with no problem but its windy and not overly nice here really. Bequia was really nice and again the boat boys were fine. No hassling and just offering a service.

If you see a beneteau oceanis 50 called Rogue full of kids then say hi or if you like peace and quiet avoid us like a rash......
That’s great to hear. Thanks B00B00. We should be there about next Wednesday. I’ll keep a lookout for you!
Old 20-12-2017, 08:54   #30

Boat: Catalina 27

We did a one way charter from Grenada to St.Vincent in March of this year and I agree with B00B00's experience. They were a bit more aggressive in Clifton though. We were friendly but firm and had no problems with them. The painters on the mooring balls are deliberately short to give the locals so business unlike BVI. Have FUN!

Tags
boat, mooring