Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Ever boarded with bad intentions?
Have you ever been physically boarded by possible thieves, while you were onboard?? 20 74.07%
If so, was there a physical altercation? 8 29.63%
If so, did the possible thieves display weapons? 5 18.52%
Not boarded - but had a dinghy stolen from the water? 9 33.33%
If you were boarded, did it occur in U.S. territorial waters? 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2019, 02:18   #31

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Boarded with bad intentions?

A further semi-commercial security system option being developed which might be interesting for some cruisers:

https://www.piratelights.com/

https://www.piratelights.com/captain...product-review

https://www.piratelights.com/captain...-pirate-lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateLightsWebSite
Pirate Lights Marine Security System is a boat security system. When intruders come on to a boat uninvited, they are met with 5000 lumens of light, and a deafening 130 db. of alarm. The Pirate Lights alarm will stun your intruder while alerting the boat owner of intruders. Whether anchored, or tied to the dock, Pirate Lights equates to having a full time security officer on board! The multifaceted system incorporates color changing lights creating ambiance lighting as a wonderful entertainment feature for parties and guests.
Old 15-07-2019, 05:07   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
The bars don't only keep people out they also slow me down while getting out.
An important consideration. You want to be able to get out QUICKLY if a fire breaks out onboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Also now have a cool tazer.
The problem is that there are places in this world where having a tazer is just as illegal as having a gun. Don't think that just because it is not lethal, there won't be any laws against it. There are states in the U.S. where possession of even mace, or bear spray, is restricted. I have no doubt the same is true in some countries around the world. So, in the end, you have to be thoroughly familiar with the laws in whatever country you are visiting.

Alarms and sensors that create light and noise at the earliest possible time -- to convince the intruder to retreat -- are probably the best, first line of defense. Of course, you want to alarm early enough, without creating false alarms, so that's the trade-off there.

Bottom line, though, is that there isn't any one, best solution that's going to work for every situation. You have to give it some thought, and figure out what is best for you.
Old 15-07-2019, 09:10   #33

Perhaps try rigging some electrical cattle wire fencing around your life lines ! (perimeter wire ) If someone were trying to illegally board your vessel in the dark and got bit by that electrical charge it might just be enough to give them pause for a second thought !
Old 15-07-2019, 09:14   #34

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

We cruised the Windwards and Leewards for twelve years. Always with a dog. I can distinctly remember being woke up by my dog, going on deck and seeing a local paddling away on a beat up windsurfer (Dominica), a heavy wooden rowboat (Grenada) and a small RIB with an outboard being rowed (BVI's) and swimming (Canouan). Always between midnight and 3:00 AM. Locals don't fish or swim at those hours. Always pulled the dinghy up in the davits at night.

In the latter years, I mounted a solar powered security light on the dinghy davits. Unless it has an audible warning, it is useless when you are sleeping below. It was appreciated by guests leaving the boat at night.

Downside of having a dog on board is having to go through a sorts of hoops to comply with local laws and not being able to take overnight trips off the boat.

Depending on your viewpoint, likely the local boatboys won't come out to your boat either, if you have a dog. I always preferred to get off my boat and in my dinghy to deal with the boatboys.
Old 15-07-2019, 09:23   #35

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
The recent thread regarding the Windward islands alludes to some members having been boarded at night, etc. I know the specifics of some of these incidents are noted on some of the securitynet websites - but it would be interesting to hear how common that really is, just among the sailors that post here.

To me, having a dinghy painter cut would be a lot less threatening than having people actually walking around on deck at night, while the boat is obviously occupied.

Have many run into this, and is there anything you would have done differently, either before or after?

Obviously, the whole firearm-lethal weapon debate is never going to be agreed on by everyone, so that's kind of a dead-end for a forum. Outside of the U.S., it also seems legally impractical, just as an aside.

Are there any interesting incidents, advice or tips that can be passed on though?
We like pepper spray, maybe combined with a fish-whacker, or baseball bat.
I carry the bat (old school Louisville Slugger) along with my glove and a couple of baseballs onboard. Plus a cup, of course. Safety first!
Some places you visit may have a problem with pepper spray, but we haven't found one yet. Just recently cleared into Canada, where they are pretty touchy-feely about how you may defend yourself - and got it thru no problem by explaining that we are hikers, (we are) and that it was for bears. There is even a pix of a bear on our cans. Buy the 2-packs of spray from Costco. Good size cans, cheap, powerful, and effective. We've been asked a couple of times if we're carrying 'Mace', and we say no. Pepper spray is not Mace. It's better...
The flare gun sounds good, and it should always be available, right?
For serious attempts at boarding (especially at sea) I understand a pretty good Molotov cocktail can be made using a bottle of 151 proof rum, and a Tampon.
We try to lock stuff up pretty good, and keep honest people honest. My wife and I are both handy with firearms, but after a lot of thought and long discussions decided not to carry them except in U.S. waters. We DO have a plan for fighting back, and we would do so vigorously before being 'restrained'. I know, I know - we can replace the 'stuff', but worse things happen than losing the dinghy or VHF, and we decided long ago we'd prefer to die on our feet than live on our knees.
Off topic a bit I know, but if you've got people walking around on deck that aren't invited, they've got to go. Period.
Old 15-07-2019, 09:25   #36

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
So far only one reply who experienced an actual boarding w ill intent. I think that answers the original question: its not common vs the number of boats cruising.

If you look at the events reported on CSSN the total number per year is relatively small.
I tend to believe it's actually a pretty rare occurrence in most places, and statistically, you're probably more likely to be killed in a car accident, etc. It definitely gets peoples' attention though - just because of the theoretical vulnerability you have when anchored out alone, etc.

As long as there is a reasonable chance of it being heard by others, I think a loud piercing alarm, and bright light would deter most thieves. If it doesn't, there's probably a good chance they are armed and serious, in which case there's not a lot that can really be done, short of a mutual shoot-out. Logically, unless kidnapping were the aim, I can't imagine why anyone would be that determined in the face of an alarm.

A lot of activities on a boat are dangerous, and they are not generally worried about, so this issue probably just has a lot of emotional appeal more than anything else. If it happens to you, at least there is always a interesting story for a lot of happy hours..
Old 15-07-2019, 09:28   #37

Wasp spray, that is if you have a gun aversion
Old 15-07-2019, 09:31   #38

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you are going to have a weapon try to think of something practical.

Like a short spear
outfitterwarehouse.com/product/tanto-machete-with-sheath-cold-steel-2

~$20 online
Old 15-07-2019, 09:38   #39

Boat: Catalina 470

We live aboard with two Rottweilers. My hope is that they will be deterrent enough once we are in areas that are less safe. Their bark is pretty intimidating, though they are the sweetest dogs otherwise. And yes, as someone already pointed out, there's a lot of red-tape involved, but probably less red-tape than for a gun.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 15-07-2019, 09:41   #40

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars View Post
Wasp spray, that is if you have a gun aversion

I'm sure it's better than nothing, but I actually saw a youtube video where this was tested, and even getting a ton of wasp spray straight in the eyes didn't do much. The guy that got sprayed said it actually wasn't really that bad. Pepper spray was an actual deterrent, but the issue was it wafting back into your own face, especially in a confined area.
Old 15-07-2019, 09:47   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I like the boiling oil, so do you keep a pot on to boil, or do you ask the perp to wait awhile, maybe 10 minutes or so until it’s just about to burst into flame

LOL.

Also, it's a good thing boats are noted for being not at all flammable.
Old 15-07-2019, 09:56   #42

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

I lay in bed and thing of the most horrible ways to stop an intruder from all sorts of attacks , I know Im paranoid, but I came up with a cool solution , I ve got myself sum impressive water guns , fiilled with iratating stuff that if getting into there eyes will cause them to stop what there doing .
this can then be employed if boarded from a fast Skiff during the Day or nighttime boarders.
And if your really evil fill with a flamable product and light and a nice flame thrower comes into play. only recommend this if being boarded from afar.
A. no worries about Gun control
B. very effective . anyone get pepper spray in there eyes will tell you
C. Non lethal

In the case that most boardings are just for money. etec ,a few have ended up in death to some cruisers, remember most of these people boarding are high on ICE AND CRYSTAL METH they have no concept of not harming you even if you do not put up a fight.
Be careful out there either make sure they can never get in or arm yourself to remove them.
Old 15-07-2019, 10:02   #43

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Hardhead;
If it happens to you, at least there is always a interesting story for a lot of happy hours..[/QUOTE]

I only pay attention to the stories in my area and there have been several murders and such. If I lived thru something, I would not want to think about again.
Old 15-07-2019, 10:15   #44

A (small) fire pump might physically remove unwanted boarders (if one has enuff warning)
Old 15-07-2019, 10:23   #45

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

I am disappointed at most of these comments I hesitate to say. Most, I am sorry to say, bristle with nonsense. Nonsense which is counterproductive when dealing with or thinking about this serious subject. We have been there four times during our 23 year long circumnavigation. We left Canada with pepper spray on board and it saved our lives in the Rio Dulce. I kid you not. It is by far the best solution much aided by having a dog on board which however brings with it it's own problems. (We did not). The attack happened after midnight while anchored. Although i was hospitalised the use of the spray by Helen immobilized two of our attackers and Helen then chased the third knife wielder into his dugout.

The next day she returned to GAIA to clean up copious quantities of blood, mine, and found a noose----!

It is quite illuminating how experiencing a violent attack opens ones eyes and thoughts to the reality of these situations. I could go deep into this subject but let me just say that carrying weapons and attempting to use them is nuts to be blunt. The many reasons have been adequately covered elsewhere and if you are not convinced now my opinions will not change your mind.

One example will suffice: In the middle of the night we were jolted awake a long ways up the Gambia river and on coming on deck, cautiously and carrying pepper spray as we had learned to do years before in the Rio Dulce, we saw a person in the act of coming on board over the transom. His sudden appearance fightened us! It turned out that his drift net had caught around our keel. (We were anchored in the middle of the river and fishing thus is their modus operandi.) I spent the next two hours helping him recover his only means of earning a living. Considering our heightened state of excitement, as we had never forgotten the Rio Dulce, I cringe when thinking what might have happened had we been stupid enough to carry a firearm.

Carry pepper sprays, the jet type, small so it is hidden in your hand and have them handy from wherever you are in many different places. Renew it periodically. With pepper spray you will not kill, innocents or other perhaps more desperate human beings. And they are unlikely to be turned on you like other weapons might be. They, because they can be omnipresent as suggested, will be available when you need them whether you are in bed or sitting on the head. That cannot be said of other weapons unless you go around looking like Wyattt Earp in Paradise. Try tucking a Colt 45 in your underpants. Had we reached for a gun while being attacked in bed we would both be dead now. Of that there is absolutely no doubt. And you will not need to lie, nor face the consequences thereof, when asked time and time again 'do you have weapons on board'?

My apologies for using aggressive language early on but one should not comment on subjects one knows nothing about particularly when they might involve life or death.

Jim

Jim
Closed Thread