Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 03:18   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

What are your Voyaging Hopes, Plans, Dreams or Vague Intentions for some day!

Open to anyone with boat or without, with a squillion sea miles under the keel or on day 1 of dreaming!........no matter if just a hankering that in your heart you suspect will never happen, but it might!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 03:34   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Move to our boat by next year, sell house, live aboard 6 months min to make sure we love it. I can work from amywhere in US withl an airport nearby so im lucky work at least two more years while Marina hopping in Florida. Then first year explore Bahamas and exhumas (doing first bahamas trip this year!!! Wifes been a dozen times. Then after hurricane season head to DR for a few months, then usvi, then explore the caribbean returning every 2-3 years to St Thomas for work as a day trip capt to rebuild the kitty if needed. Then maybe explore the NE us and then great lakes (big maybe) though prior owners said this was more fun than anywhere else they had cruised but burned a. Ton of diesel!!!
Thats our plan! It will happen.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 03:44   #3

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
C'mon, DOJ, you tell us yours first, mate.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43   #4

Re: What are your Voyaging Hopes, Plans, Dreams or Vague Intentions for some day!

Once upon a time I had vague notions of sailing round the world.
My wife says I can come home and visit any time. kids in School and life in general rule this out.
Just took a big step into a dream and bought a bigger boat. my C&C 24 was fun but we never went very far just occasional overnight trips mostly day sailing.
havent had the "new" boat out yet its a 35 hope to cruise the Southern Gulf Islands and San Juans. dream is to spend the next couple of summers exploring the coast possibaly even up to Alaska
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:58   #5

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: What are your Voyaging Hopes, Plans, Dreams or Vague Intentions for some day!

Don't intend to do the around the world thing... but do want to work up to some medium-distance stuff, especially when my wife is eligible to retire in four years. Want to get back to doing a little more chartering and add new destinations. Do want to continue our day sailing, racing, running regattas, and do some of that in new places. Do want to add some new skills... getting more comfortable with engine and mechanical systems.
Old 01-03-2013, 13:07   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Did the Bahamas 2 years ago. Now working back in Florida in order to have enough money saved up to do the eastern Caribbean for a year in 2014. Would like to cruise full time around the world for a few years.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 13:15   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

arctic is getting a bit of an obsession, too much Roger Taylor Done back and forth, maybe time for a bit of up and down.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 13:21   #8

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter

Took a year off from work 2011-2012. Sailed to the Virgin Islands and back to NY. I wanted to do it before I retired to make sure it happened before poor health or something else derailed the plan. Now I plan to marry the women that gave me the go ahead to go and live my dream, work 5-7 more years,retire. After that I hope to sail south again. I want on live aboard in the Caribbean for the winter and summer here on the great lakes. More than likely will leave the boat in the islands and get something to daysail here.
starchaser 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 13:28   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

I just want to goof off mostly with sails between places of interest. Want to see the sights that most people only see in the magazines along the way and plan to chose routes as needed to accomplish this. Don't really plan to circumnavigate, but if that works out based on how long I can keep going I will.

I plan to not have a plan beyond the stop!

PS - I don't plan to have to be cold anymore!
Old 01-03-2013, 13:31   #10

Boat: Catalina 310

My Bride and I are in the process of trying to sell our house. After that we plan to live aboard our Catalina 310 here in Mass for a couple of years. Taking this time for boat modifications and to build up the kitty.

On June 26, 2015, we are going to cut the lines and start sailing south. The plan is to spend a lot of time exploring on the way down all the way to the keys. Then back up to a good place to stage a jump to the Bahamas. Down the Thorny Path through the Caribbean.

Hopefully we can spend at least 2 years on this trip. At that point we will have to return to work, but right now neither of us wants that to mean going back to full time professional jobs in the Northeast. Perhaps Florida or some place in the islands.

Basically I hope to never live on land again and hopefully never have to go to an office or cubicle either.

We are tracking our progress on our blog.
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 13:38   #11

Right now we are putting 27% of our income in 401k and will complete paying off the mortgage in three years right before we retire.
Retire with $120k for boat and refit, $125k for the cruising kitty, no mortgage and $3500 a month in retirement.
Live on the boat from Jan 1 - June'ish every year in the Caribbean come back home and play with the Grandkids in the summer and hunt in the fall and then start over right after Christmas.

That pretty much covers it...
gcaskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:55   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
C'mon, DOJ, you tell us yours first, mate.
Not yet - I am enjoying being a voyeur .....

.......glad this thread is starting to show some life , was worried there for a little while.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 15:01   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What are your Voyaging Hopes, Plans, Dreams or Vague Intentions for some day!

Refloat my boat... maybe one day...
Then just sail and see where I end up next time...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 15:10   #14

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Well, I bought my CSY 44 last May, and retired this last December. This is the last year of high school for my twins, then hopefully they are out of the nest. My current plan involves refitting the boat with offshore equipment, and taking part in the 2013 Baja-Haha this October. that will get me into Mexico, where it is warm. My wife will fly down and meet me there.
If all goes well, I plan to join the other Puddle Jumpers sometime in March/April of next year, leaving Puerto Vallarta for the Marquesas Isles and beyond. In the mean time I am working on the boat 3-4 times a week and having a ball.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 15:13   #15

Boat: sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I plan to not have a plan beyond the stop!
That sounds like a very good plan!
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dreams, Hopes, Plans, Vague Intentions!