Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 22:59   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Bluewater Cruising Association

I am not much of a social butterfly and as such have very limited interest in yacht clubs. On the other hand, reciprocal moorage seems like a nice benefit of being a yacht club member.

The Bluewater Cruising Association is not a yacht club as such and they do not show any reciprocal moorage arrangements (probably got something to do with the fact that they have no moorage at all). They do however indicate on their web sites that they frequently get hospitality at yacht clubs.

I am trying to understand exactly what is meant by that. Does this mean that if you are a member it is ok to use reciprocal moorage at yacht clubs? Are most yacht clubs open as to who they will offer moorage to or are they strictly enforcing this privilege to those and only those clubs with which they have agreements?

I gather that most small clubs don't have contact persons on site a lot of the time so presumably it would be quite difficult to ask if they would extend hospitality (moorage) to you or not. Other times you deal with a marina or just end up filling in a registration form.

I have never done reciprocal moorage before so I have no clue as to what is acceptable behaviour and what is not and would appreciate some guidance.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 15:42   #2

Re: Bluewater Cruising Association

There are a few places that the Blue water group does get reciprocal privileges. I'm sure if you contact them they will let you know. Pretty good group, we were members there for a few years.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:45   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

According to the BCA website:
“... A significant number of marinas and yacht clubs around the world recognize the BCA burgee and membership card and offer BCA members their hospitality...”
But they don’t list them.
Why Become a Member? - Bluewater Cruising Association

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:35   #4
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
According to the BCA website:
“... A significant number of marinas and yacht clubs around the world recognize the BCA burgee and membership card and offer BCA members their hospitality...”
But they don’t list them.
Why Become a Member? - Bluewater Cruising Association
That was the reason for my original question .... what exactly is 'significant' and what does 'hospitality' include?
I was hoping to hear from members of the association and what their experiences have been.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
That was the reason for my original question .... what exactly is 'significant' and what does 'hospitality' include?
I was hoping to hear from members of the association and what their experiences have been.
Maybe someone here is a current member but otherwise you are close so take an evening off jump on the ferry and attend one of their meetings in Vancouver. They get good turnouts to their monthly meetings and you can attend as a guest(it costs you a few bucks) they will have a speaker which is usually a cruiser who does a show and tell. At the coffee break work around to some of the senior members and ask your questions.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, water