Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 06:51   #1

Best US boat show?

The wife and I want to go to a boat show this year here in the States, and we’re wondering which is the best to go to?

We’re new to this world, and we’re hoping to buy a blue water boat somewhere between 5-10 years from now. Our thought is what’s new today might be what we’re buying then, so we want to get a feel for what we really like, or don’t like.

So where should we go? Annapolis? Ft. Lauderdale?
We’re traveling specifically for it, so we want to go to the right one. Also open to any other suggestions! We’re living in Dallas, so there’s nothing close by unfortunately.

Thanks!
TheGoldenFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:00   #2

Location: San Francisco Bay Area for me. The boat is in the Caribbean.
Boat: X5+ Catamaran, 53’
Re: Best US boat show?

I haven’t made it to Annapolis due to conflicts. As between Ft. Lauderdale, Richmond (CA) and Miami, Miami was the winner. I don’t know whether it had more or less boats than the Ft. Lauderdale, but there were more of interest to me, the show felt better laid out and, of course, when done I was in Miami. The Intercon hotel is pricey, but walking distance to the show and beautiful.
Sbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:08   #3

I should probably mention that I’m mainly interested in catamarans. I don’t know if that makes a difference or not, but I do want to see all types of boats for fun.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:11   #4

Location: San Francisco Bay Area for me. The boat is in the Caribbean.
Boat: X5+ Catamaran, 53’

Me too. Went to the last La Grande Motte Catamaran Boat show, which was pretty great (hard not to be in the south of France)
Sbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

Annapolis is spectacular. Going again in October.
lfalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:57   #6

Not Ft Lauderdale but Miami or Annapolis. Few dealers and brokers want to waste their time on distant future buyers (over a year or two) that most often aren't loyal to them in the future. Collect and read the brochures, however.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:08   #7

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I am a big fan of the boat show">Annapolis boat show, although I also like the one in Rhode Island too. Be sure to book a room early so that you can get one close to the show. You don't want to drive in. If you can't get on close, you can drive to the parking lot at the Naval Academy football stadium and take the shuttle bus. It is best if you can get a room within walking distance though. You'll save a lot of time and enjoy the show more. Also, if you can, do the full show. You'll have a much better time and be able to also enjoy Annapolis.

While you are there, be sure to check out the impressive model ships at Pusser's Caribbean Grille (Pussers Caribbean Grille Restaurant | Waterfront Dining and Entertainment. Enjoy the Taste of the Caribbean. and have the crab cakes at Dock Street Bar and Grill (Home - Dock Street Bar & Grill).

While you are there, you may wish to consider purchasing various items the last day of the show. The vendors usually have great discounts on everything from foulies to equipment because they don't want to lug the stuff home.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:15   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenFleece View Post
The wife and I want to go to a boat show this year here in the States, and we’re wondering which is the best to go to?

We’re new to this world, and we’re hoping to buy a blue water boat somewhere between 5-10 years from now. Our thought is what’s new today might be what we’re buying then, so we want to get a feel for what we really like, or don’t like.

So where should we go? Annapolis? Ft. Lauderdale?
We’re traveling specifically for it, so we want to go to the right one. Also open to any other suggestions! We’re living in Dallas, so there’s nothing close by unfortunately.

Thanks!
I can't help you with the boat shows. But Kudos on the sound thinking well in advance.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:16   #9

Boat: Alerion Express 28

I can't tell you the best boat show but DON'T attend the one in the SF Bay
Area, usually in April. I went this year and practically the only sailboats were Beneteaus. I had been going for years but no longer.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:28   #10

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

There's a reason the Annapolis show bills itself as the largest in-the-water sailboat show: that's because it is. You mentioned that you were new to this 'world". I would suggest that you get experience, ie. doing offshore deliveries on different (hull / cockpit) configurations, before you decide what type of sailboat you want to launch your dream on. What looks great in an anchorage may not be comfortable in a seaway and vica versa. Every boat is a compromise. Also, end of show sales by vendors at the sailboat show is usually limited to those vendors that will not be at the Power Boat Show the following week. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:30   #11

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN2140 View Post
I can't tell you the best boat show but DON'T attend the one in the SF Bay
Area, usually in April. I went this year and practically the only sailboats were Beneteaus. I had been going for years but no longer.
Agree, all the West Coast shows suck in comparison to the East Coast shows. The best is Annapolis for sure, we have traveled there from SF several times and are never disappointed. There are always boats there you will not see anywhere else. If you are shopping for Cats the best show is the International Multihull Show in La Grande Motte. We went two years ago and it was fantastic. You can check out my video here:

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:36   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Annapolis for sure for both cats and monohulls. We will be there working the Lagoon display. If you are in Dallas we're in Kemah (outside Houston). We have quote a few boats here also if you want to make a weekend trip.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:45   #13

Boat: Knysna 440

Looking at the show websites, Miami appears to have the highest number of Catamarans on display. They've got all the major brands.

This one happens to occur right after my birthday in Feb. Hmmm. I think I'll sign my hubby up for email show updates.

I concur with the poster above - I went to the Pacific Sail and Power show in SF area this year, and it was pretty sad. There was one cat on display, some Beneteaus, Jeanneaus, and Hanse. One Catalina, and a few used boats of various types. That was it.
Lonestaralaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:47   #14

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

I suggest that you pick any weekend this summer and visit with the Yacht Sales Company in Kemah, Texas. Call them ahead of time and tell them what you have in mind. Having a broker that you have established a long term relationship with can eliminate a serious amount of buyers remorse... then go to Annapolis Boat Show...
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtBroker View Post
Annapolis for sure for both cats and monohulls. We will be there working the Lagoon display. If you are in Dallas we're in Kemah (outside Houston). We have quote a few boats here also if you want to make a weekend trip.

Awesome. Yes, we will have to do that! Thank you!

Tags
boat, boat show