Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 09:12   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS - 50ft
Basic outfitting for new to me Hunter 41

I recently purchased a 2006 Hunter 41'. The previous owner bought a new boat and took most of the on board gear with him. I need to buy the basics, USCG kit, live vests, boat hook, binoculars, dinghy/motor, radar add on for a Garmin and insurance. Its in the yard for the winter in the lower Chesapeake but I will be keeping it in Huntington Harbor after it is moved. I would appreciate advice on any or all of the above.
DeaconBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 10:02   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Basic outfitting for new to me Hunter 41

Most of that is either straightforward, or personal taste. As far as basic safety equipment, I would just got to West Marine and buy what you need, such as flares, horn, placards, blah blah blah, or order it from Defender.com and save a few bucks. The yard may allow you to use their port supply account at West Marine which would save you substantial $$$.

I have a West Marine Compact 310 RIB and really like it. I believe it's a rebadged Zodiac, and it's main advantage is that the transom folds flat so the stowed bag is about 6" thick. Great for stowing on your cabin top. As far as outboards go, I'm in the small two stroke camp...lighter, cheaper, and better reliability, but you'll have to buy used. If you're going to use it primarily as anchor to dock service, get @ 4hp. If you're going to cruise and use it for exploring/swimming/diving etc. then go for 8-10 hp.

Regarding radar, the question you should ask yourself is if you really need it before your whole suite of electronics is due for an upgrade and/or before you need to pull the stick for other servicing, if you're going to mount it on the stick.

For PFDs, I really like Mustang inflatables. Whatever you get, make sure you get crotch straps for them as no PFD does you much good if it's slide off over your head when you went over the side. You can get a bag of the orange standard foam PFDs, but they take up a huge amount of space.

Binoculars, I have a pair of Nikon Ocean Pro with the compass and think they are a great value. Not quite as clear and bright as the Steiners I had, but at less than half the price I can live with it, lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 10:32   #3

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I would start with all the coast guard required basics....and i think there are additional requirements for boats over 40'. You can get the list online.
Then take your time and research the rest before you buy. Ask your dock neighbors too. Many will tell you the pros and cons of what they have. That way you don't just buy stuff you later regret.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 14:34   #4

Thanks for the quick reply and advice. I've got access to the broker's port supply account and plenty of time over the winter to do the research.
Old 25-11-2013, 16:21   #5

Actually, I am doing a similar thing right now as I am getting ready for a year sailing trip, but have a year to plan and get ready.

My strategy has to been to make a list, and then set up a number of searches in google shopping and certain sites (west marine, defender) and then wait out the sales.

So far I have bought about $4000 worth of stuff for half the price. Everything goes on sale, just buy it when it does.
Old 25-11-2013, 19:27   #6

Great idea. Setting up a spreadsheet now.

Tags
hunter