Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 17:55   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO469
Re: Bad decisions

Is the electrical system similar to USA standard electrics?
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 18:21   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Would it make sense to buy the plans and build a sister ship in the US?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 18:32   #18

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Take 6 months off your work, gather up a few buds you trust, and fly the crew down there and sail it back. It would be an amazing learning experience, and when you get the boat home you will have earned it. In addition, if you have a cute girl or two, you can blog or youtube it, and the proceeds might pay for the journey too.
It would be really sad to pay a whack of money, and then hear your boat was lost at sea someplace, or demasted or any manner of horrible things, and you never even got to step foot on it or sail it once.
I support this.

If you have grown up sailing on big boats why don’t you bring her to the US yourself? Is it time constraint?
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 19:07   #19

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

In 2014 I got a quote to ship a 38ft cat from Sydney to Spain - approx $54,000 USD. They told me to Miami was about 45k USD. I got a quote from a float on float off company that was 95k USD. Prices probably gone up since then. Just contact the yacht transporters - they will send you a written quote. You would probably get a better response if people knew the size and approx value of the vessel.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 21:05   #20

Boat: Tripp 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
I support this.

If you have grown up sailing on big boats why don’t you bring her to the US yourself? Is it time constraint?
Yes the time would absolutely not work. I have seen it is potentially much cheaper to deliver to st martens and from there i would be able to sail it up
Notyetsinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 21:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
In 2014 I got a quote to ship a 38ft cat from Sydney to Spain - approx $54,000 USD. They told me to Miami was about 45k USD. I got a quote from a float on float off company that was 95k USD. Prices probably gone up since then. Just contact the yacht transporters - they will send you a written quote. You would probably get a better response if people knew the size and approx value of the vessel.
I will likely go for quotes as I start to finalize my options...I am worried of my email being blown up which is why I’ve avoided doing that ....the boat is 43ft long and 14ft beam...I’m guessing the 95k was Dockwise? Who was it you ultimately went with?
Old 15-07-2020, 21:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Would it make sense to buy the plans and build a sister ship in the US?
Though paying 50k for transportation of a used boat is probably among the worst financial moves I could make, I think paying hundreds of thousands in depreciation is much worse

Frankly I’ve accepted that doing this is financially stupid, though as I’ve seen a sailboat accurately defined as “a hole where which money is thrown”, I think the choices between different boats can be simplified down to degrees of financial ruin... so I might as well get the right one
Old 15-07-2020, 21:42   #23

Noonsite.com has a few ads by shippers. I'm sure they would be happy to give you estimates.
Sonny36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 00:28   #24

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Given where the boat is I would thing checking with some logistics agents about going as deck cargo would be the cheapest.

You could move the boat from Perth, either by self or paid crew to one of the more regular yacht transport routes. Seven Seas and another whose name eludes me run regularly from Malaysia/Thailand to the Med and from the Med to the Caribbean.You could check their menu prices to get an idea of top end cost as they are probably higher than deck cargo.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 01:11   #25

I wouldn't buy a yacht unless I had seen and checked everything above below the deck.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 14:24   #26

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
If you have already fixated on the "one perfect boat on the other side of the world" then there is little help for you at this point. Just do it and pay whatever massive price presents itself for your folly. Nothing anyone can say to you will change your mind, so why even bother?

Pop the popcorn and watch the fun!
Here let me fix that for you:
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:55   #27

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetsinking View Post
I will likely go for quotes as I start to finalize my options...I am worried of my email being blown up which is why I’ve avoided doing that ....the boat is 43ft long and 14ft beam...I’m guessing the 95k was Dockwise? Who was it you ultimately went with?

Sold it in Australia, bought another in the Caribbean
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:23   #28

Boat: Spindrift 43

The ballpark pricing you’re seeing is about right. I helped a buddy ship a ship on a ship shipping ship from Hawaii to North Carolina back in 2007, and for his Kelly Peterson 45, it ran $45,000.

If it were me, and I absolutely fell in love with this particular boat, I think I’d fly out there and inspect it personally. Then assuming it surveys as well as I hoped, I’d have it hauled and serviced to my liking. While it’s hauled, I’d hunt down a delivery captain (maybe even engaging his expertise to inform some decision making during the haul out), then splash and go.

This approach offers a couple opportunities to back out based on whatever reality you encounter while only incrementally committing funds. Having a delivery captain do it gives you the option of sailing safely (if he allows that), or you can fly back home in comfort and wait for the boat that you now know well.

Shipping it, potentially sight unseen gets you fully committed with fewer opportunities to back away from the plan.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:38   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetsinking View Post
Yes the time would absolutely not work. I have seen it is potentially much cheaper to deliver to st martens and from there i would be able to sail it up
This is what I had recommended to the chap buying the boat in New Zealand. That was a 45’ monohull and his cost the Marintimes was in the vicinity of $55-$60k. IIRC another fellow here wanted to ship a boat from St Lucia to New England and found the initial quote nearly doubled when he added in required insurance and other mandatory costs not paid to the shipper.

I would seek a quote to the cheapest place possible, not some specific destination. Be flexible. Find out where they ship FROM, pay a crew to move it there. Land anywhere in the Eastern Caribbean and then it’s a short hop to St Martin which has cheap and excellent services. Take delivery, sort er out, sail away.

I hope she is everything you desire.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 14:28   #30

Boat: Sabre 402

For potential problems, look up "My Song" and "fell off".
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote