Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2015, 15:41   #31

Re: Aussie Cyclones

Eerily calm here in Bundy at present. 5/10 clud no rain and only bout 25-30kn of wind. My boat is out on the hard for bum clean and a bit of work - first time I've ever been happy to have a job take longer than it should have.

Good luck you guys north of me.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 16:22   #32

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Latest update.

Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Storm crosses Queensland coast, set to bring 'calamity' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 18:14   #33

Boat: Island Packet 40

It's been a good year down here for cyclones, we are almost out of the danger period and the current two are the first we have had.

The media tends to get a bit carried away these days and if I had taken the predictions of doom on all the front pages of the news papers seriously this morning I would be calling the local funeral director and booking a burial ceremony.

I am not trying to belittle the seriousness of the situations these things create they put a lot of life and property at risk however as they are fairly common and the folks living in cyclone prone areas are fairly well organized for them consequently the fatality count is very low.

Having experienced one of them off the Western Australian coast on an offshore oil rig I will say that they tend to be a once in a life time sort of thing from an adventure seeking viewpoint and I would not like to go through one at sea on a small vessel, it would be a dread filled experience even should one survive.

The severity and suddenness of the onset of serious floods in southern Queensland is closely related to the short sighted nature of it's politicians. The Wivenhoe Dam was built as a flood mitigation dam but when one of the political parties wanted to win an election it promised to cancel the building of another storage dam for Brisbane. They won, cancelled the new dam and used the flood mitigation dam for water storage. Consequently when a number of deluges occurred fairly close together the mitigation dam was already full hence the city in the valley below was flooded when they panicked and released too much water.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 18:20   #34
DtM

Hope all are safe.

Reports starting to come through in the press.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 18:34   #35

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
It's been a good year down here for cyclones, we are almost out of the danger period and the current two are the first we have had.

The media tends to get a bit carried away these days and if I had taken the predictions of doom on all the front pages of the news papers seriously this morning I would be calling the local funeral director and booking a burial ceremony.

I am not trying to belittle the seriousness of the situations these things create they put a lot of life and property at risk however as they are fairly common and the folks living in cyclone prone areas are fairly well organized for them consequently the fatality count is very low.

Having experienced one of them off the Western Australian coast on an offshore oil rig I will say that they tend to be a once in a life time sort of thing from an adventure seeking viewpoint and I would not like to go through one at sea on a small vessel, it would be a dread filled experience even should one survive.

The severity and suddenness of the onset of serious floods in southern Queensland is closely related to the short sighted nature of it's politicians. The Wivenhoe Dam was built as a flood mitigation dam but when one of the political parties wanted to win an election it promised to cancel the building of another storage dam for Brisbane. They won, cancelled the new dam and used the flood mitigation dam for water storage. Consequently when a number of deluges occurred fairly close together the mitigation dam was already full hence the city in the valley below was flooded when they panicked and released too much water.
A couple of corrections here. This is only about the 4th or 5th Category 5 cyclone that has EVER been recorded crossing the Australian coast so in that sense, it is a big deal. It's a media beat up, yes, but to those currently in it's path of destruction it is an extremely big deal. We might laugh in the face of a Cat 1 or 2, express concern at a Cat 3 but it becomes serious stuff at Cat 4 & 5. It's extremely good luck that it crossed in a location that is basically empty because it's a huge military training area. Also, in the recent era the most active months for cyclone development along the east coast of Australia are late season February through to April.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 21:09   #36

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution

I do think the pollies and press have a hard time with these situations. They almost have to overplay it as if they underplay it then we crucify them. For us in Brisbane (so far) a lot of rain, some wind but nothing exceptional. Some flooded roads and creeks. Forecast to get worse tonight but unlikely to be anything like what has hit up north. Our hopes are for the people and boats up around Rosalyn Bay and the Keppel coast. They will have copped a pounding

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower

Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 22:10   #37

TClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1424412557.576499.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	97471

For those not up to speed with the cyclone cat scale

Old 19-02-2015, 22:42   #38

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Has anyone heard how Vessels went in the Marina at Yeppoon. Have not seen any vision on the media.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 22:57   #39

Little bit of vision on 7 of boats in the creek at Yeppoon but nothing on the Marina I have seen or heard.
Chris
Old 19-02-2015, 22:59   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
TAttachment 97471

For those not up to speed with the cyclone cat scale

Do I need to keep a cat on my cat to tell what cat is happening
Old 20-02-2015, 01:20   #41

Boat: Easy Sarah 40' cat

Looks like the automatic weather station on Middle Percy took damage this morning. There have been no reports since daylight this morning.

There was a max wind gust of 112 knots about an hour before the last update.
sea-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 02:20   #42

Anyone heard from keppel marina? I have seen footage of Yeppoon but nothing from Rosalyn bay

Old 22-02-2015, 14:39   #43

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
Anyone heard from keppel marina? I have seen footage of Yeppoon but nothing from Rosalyn bay
I'm interestd too.
This is the best picture I've found. Furled jibs still up but what did the spring tide + surge do ??

Australia warns of calamity as massive cyclone roars ashore - Australia/New Zealand News & Top Stories - The Straits Times
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 03:04   #44

Still no news on the Marina or yachts in the general area.
I can find nothing on at all.
Old 23-02-2015, 13:30   #45

This is hearsay, but from what we've heard, the boats in the marina at Rosslyn bay were OK.

At Middle Percy, the farmhouse was OK, some broken windows, lots of damage to the fruit trees and veggie gardens though. The tree house was OK too with some broken windows.

The tracks to West bay are badly blocked by fallen trees, the short track is so bad they can't even find where it was.

The A-frame is mostly OK, but lots of sand in it, and some of the boat names may be missing. The telephone hut was damaged.

Overall probably a lot better than expected.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote