Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2014, 21:38   #436

Re: At The Risk of Starting WWlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Ah yes, of course it's MY fault.

Please explain to me what I did wrong in this instance - we entered a marina we'd never been to before. While I was backing into the berth an elderly gent kindly came out on the finger and caught our lines for us.

Once we'd tied up, I said "Thanks mate, very nice of you." To which he replied -

"Well I figured you cat guys need all the help you can get, since your boat is more stable upside down than right way up."

To which I just smiled, and said "Yeah, right, well thanks again, see ya."

Of course I realise this was ENTIRELY my fault. But what (apart from owning a catamaran) did I do wrong? I'd just like to know so I can learn from my mistake.
You did nothing wrong. You just met a typical marina doc walker who thought he was funny... I myself would have told him to "fornication leave". Actually where was this i might know him if you say Scarborough marine i would say i do.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 22:24   #437

Like some others here I have been cruising for years in several different areas in the world and have never sat around with other cruisers and had critical things to say about other peoples boats. In fact I find it just the opposite as it seems that other cruisers are constantly finding good things to say about everyone else's choice.
We have been invited aboard hundreds of other boats for "boat tours" and have never found one that we didn't have compliments for.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 22:47   #438

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Cat; Stability, Comfort, Deck Space, "Unsinkable", No Heeling
Mono; UnCapsizable, Inexpensive, Looks after you when you're tired & or not feeling well.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 23:35   #439

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Ah yes, of course it's MY fault.

Please explain to me what I did wrong in this instance - we entered a marina we'd never been to before. While I was backing into the berth an elderly gent kindly came out on the finger and caught our lines for us.

Once we'd tied up, I said "Thanks mate, very nice of you." To which he replied -

"Well I figured you cat guys need all the help you can get, since your boat is more stable upside down than right way up."

To which I just smiled, and said "Yeah, right, well thanks again, see ya."

Of course I realise this was ENTIRELY my fault. But what (apart from owning a catamaran) did I do wrong? I'd just like to know so I can learn from my mistake.
Gosh, 44, that sounds like you handled it pretty well. But, that incident does not sound like what has been talked about upthread... the vicious attacks, red in the face confrontations and so on.

Do you feel like this gentleman was serious in what he said? I can actually envision myself saying something similar, say to a chap in a Westsail referring to his bowsprit skewering the neighbor's boat, or a motoryacht with something about a smog alert, or whatever. I tend to use gentle, possibly silly humour to (in my perhaps distorted view) start a conversation with a stranger. Sometimes I start out with a complement, too. But perhaps you guys are right and monomorons just hate multihullers because they are jealous. I dunno, because that attitude has not appeared to me or my immediate multihull friends.

So, if I should encounter you and your cat (if we decide to go further north rather than to New Cal here in a week or two), I will try to curb my tongue and talk about the weather or the footy (whatever that is) or some non-yachting subject. Despite our differing views on some things, I would not wish to offend!

Jim
Old 25-08-2014, 23:43   #440
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Sadly, I too have experienced a 'seachange' in some peoples willingness to offer criticism when not asked for. I dont think its peculiar to Cat vs Mono owners, its more like a reflection of the way Society has developed.

I find it frustrating when people mention their experience on CF and another poster calls BS on the statement. Whatever the statement is, all we can do is respond that our experience with the situation is different, and sorry to hear of yours.

However, we get excuses that "its the internet" and people hide behind anonymity etc...... but you know what? The "internet" is made of of people just like us, in fact it is us, and some of us actually tell the truth of events as happened to us in real life, and some of us are just plain rude.

In many facets of my life, I have encountered extreme rudeness and callousness in comments and deed. In the main this does not happen but there is an undercurrent rising where it is noticeable by its presence. There is prejudice everywhere and less of a willingness to keep opinions to oneself.

I like boats. ALL of them from the large cruise liners down to small sail boats and weird and whacky one offs. Im not one to go up to an owner and criticise his choice or wisdom. In conversation with an owner, if asked, I might ask questions regarding certain aspects of the build or a design feature, and if pushed might express a personal reservation or preference for another type of feature instead, but that is conversation among boaters and not a critcism of their vessel. If their was any chance of upsetting someone then I would not offer any comment, for in reality a comment is but an opinion, a preference or an observation, which if uncalled for, is a waste of breath.

I like Catamarans. Whatever vessel I owned it would not matter what anyone said, I own it because I wanted it. Its mine good or bad. They dont have to pay for it, fix it, sail it or live on it, I do.

We dont have to agree with comments we read. We also dont have to outright accuse some writers of porky pies either unless we know of that situation or them personally.

Some experiences we dont want. But it doesnt mean others dont have them.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 00:00   #441
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Gee Weave, is that a monovan or a catamavan? More than likely it's a moronvan, but it is his/yours so who am I to judge?

Coops.
Old 26-08-2014, 00:03   #442
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Gee Weave, is that a monovan or a catamavan? More than likely it's a moronvan, but it is his/yours so who am I to judge?

Coops.
lololol

Yes.. there is not much to say except... "oh thats .. um... interesting".

I saw some weird and wonderful boating sights on the rivers of Florida I can tell ya!
Old 26-08-2014, 00:08   #443
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If it's a monovan it will sink. If it's a catamavan it will flip and all the things in that red box will fall out. However, I bet he never gets anybody on board for sundowners being insulting.

Coops.
Old 26-08-2014, 00:15   #444
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If it's a monovan it will sink. If it's a catamavan it will flip and all the things in that red box will fall out. However, I bet he never gets anybody on board for sundowners being insulting.

Coops.
Sundowners?

Beer and whisky mate............ thats yer choice. Start at 8am and continue till you fall off the ... er..... vessel.
Old 26-08-2014, 00:19   #445
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I want to see somebody go down the side and scale that ladder after a six pack of either.

Coops.
Old 26-08-2014, 00:24   #446
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I want to see somebody go down the side and scale that ladder after a six pack of either.

Coops.
Yes. It has design features Im not familiar with or perhaps would consider for my next bo...er... vessel...
Old 26-08-2014, 00:37   #447
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Yes. It has design features Im not familiar with or perhaps would consider for my next bo...er... vessel...
You have not been thinking outside of the box Weave. But this guy started with a box. Then he kicked the sides out and put his specially designed and ergonomically excellent cabin inside of it. The BBQ and red box are merely bling added on to attract the ladies.

Coops.
Old 26-08-2014, 00:41   #448
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You have not been thinking outside of the box Weave. But this guy started with a box. Then he kicked the sides out and put his specially designed and ergonomically excellent cabin inside of it. The BBQ and red box are merely bling added on to attract the ladies.

Coops.
He is working on a two seat tender..

Old 26-08-2014, 00:47   #449
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just love the ape hangers behind his head there. Must be an aqua glide.

Coops.
Old 26-08-2014, 14:19   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Gosh, 44, that sounds like you handled it pretty well. But, that incident does not sound like what has been talked about upthread... the vicious attacks, red in the face confrontations and so on.

Do you feel like this gentleman was serious in what he said? I can actually envision myself saying something similar, say to a chap in a Westsail referring to his bowsprit skewering the neighbor's boat, or a motoryacht with something about a smog alert, or whatever. I tend to use gentle, possibly silly humour to (in my perhaps distorted view) start a conversation with a stranger. Sometimes I start out with a complement, too. But perhaps you guys are right and monomorons just hate multihullers because they are jealous. I dunno, because that attitude has not appeared to me or my immediate multihull friends.

So, if I should encounter you and your cat (if we decide to go further north rather than to New Cal here in a week or two), I will try to curb my tongue and talk about the weather or the footy (whatever that is) or some non-yachting subject. Despite our differing views on some things, I would not wish to offend!

Jim
Yes, I see . It was my fault because I'm too touchy. Fair enough, knew it was all my fault anyway. I own a catamaran after all. If it had been a mono he wouldn't have said anything...

The reason I used that very mild case as an example is because I wondered how I could have caused it, since I hadn't said anything more than "thanks" to this guy. So thank you for explaining it.

Certainly there have been many more "spirited" discussions than that, but frankly I couldn't be bothered typing them out, even if I could remember them.

Actually I don't consider myself particularly sensitive to the crap. after so much you get used to it, and usually just laugh it off. Probably your multi owning friends are used to it too. So they simply don't bother to mention it. Have you actually ASKED any of them if they cop any of this ****?

Really the only reason I mentioned it was due to one of the posts made here earlier, some rubbish about how mono owners are more secure in their choice and don't feel the need to criticise other's choices.

And it is only a small minority. As I said before, we get plenty of visitors genuinely interested in our boat, and genuinely interested in moving from mono to cat by the same route we did - by building one.

And I'd have absolutely no problem discussing with you the pro's and con's of various types of boat over a beer. You don't seem the type to make statements such as: "Anyone who sails a boat that can't right itself is a complete wanker". Yes, someone did say that to me.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fight, monohulls, mulithulls