Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 06:40   #16

Re: Asia vs Carribean as destination from Eu for lifestyle/liveBoard/Sailing???

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
In saying that, sailing the Lakes in Finland, a lot of people do the Sauna by the lake at the bottom of their garden and use the lakes to finish the sauna..... seen many things swinging in the breeze.......

Man is that water cold!
Up this end of the world you have all age ranges...

Down in the Ionian it's full of retirees who don't like being too adventurous with their sailing but like to work on their tan, and flotillas who follow the flotilla leader like little ducks rarely sailing because they want to get to the next overnight stop early before it fills up and therefore arrive before the afternoon wind kicks in.

The only saving grace is that I've seen many hot looking Italian women in my marina.

I should have left the Ionian last year but broke my knee in spring

On topic...

A regular poster here, Zanshin has posted on his youtube page several videos he made in the Caribbean that has me wanting to make the leap.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQW...YUN1K-Fs18qrfg
Old 17-02-2015, 08:18   #17

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Moving through the Caribbean it seams very overwhelmed by tourism to me so I felt like a cash crop not a visitor quite often. Plus side of hat is that it simplifies things.
If you fancy a break the N coat of spain is a gem but expect big swells.
Ipswich, learned to sail around their, makes me laugh when people talk about problems with ties and shallows in other parts of the world, they mean 3ft under the keel and 3knt tide!!!! Bring us a beer.... PLEASE, its the only thing I miss from UK. (live in Canada, boat in Aruba currently, started cruising out from Pin Mill)
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 11:40   #18
Marine Service Provider

Going through the Med to get to SE Asia is just too foolhardy to comment on. SE Asia is everything bad that MarkJ said it is. And the Caribbean, well it's the Caribbean, what can I say. Plus you can get to and from the Pacific coasts of North, Central and South America easily. The only place better, safer and more beautiful is the South Pacific but the cruising distances are vast and the cost of almost everything store-bought ($50 for a case of Hinano) is much greater than either SE Asia or the Caribbean. French Polynesia, like Australia, has good, inexpensive wine but all other packaged beverages (soft and hard) are expensive.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 13:19   #19

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
I am in the Uk and have spent the last 5 years restoring a 45 ft yacht for ocean cruising. It's time to leave but can't make up my mind whether to go through the Med to Thailand and Spend time in Asia? OR... Go right from Morocco onto the Carribean? Please give me your opinions pros and cons on both? Previous experience??
I lived in Europe for years and can't wait to go back and see it from the water. We're cruising the Caribbean right now. I think I read on one of your answers that you were leaving the UK in June. Unless you go south of Latitude 11, you do not want to go to the Caribbean then. We have a little thing called hurricane season that goes from June to the beginning of November.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 23:35   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

I'm asssuming you are UK based.

The "usual" Atlantic Circuit is a good litmus test before going further afield. You can go out and back in a year, without too much of a rush. The season's cooperate too. You and your boat will get a proper work out. Going through the Panama Canal is quite a committment.

Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near the Horn of Africa unless it is with the grey funnel line.
Old 20-02-2015, 07:39   #21

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
I am in the Uk and have spent the last 5 years restoring a 45 ft yacht for ocean cruising. It's time to leave but can't make up my mind whether to go through the Med to Thailand and Spend time in Asia? OR... Go right from Morocco onto the Carribean? Please give me your opinions pros and cons on both? Previous experience??
Have you looked at the Jimmy Cornell book for going west to east in the Indian Ocean?

And that's in additions to the political turmoil already mentioned.

We will take the Trades to the Caribbean and through the PC to start our Pacific adventure.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 08:25   #22

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
There is a lot to love about Thailand. The waters are calm, the food is great and cheap, the people are wonderful, the culture is fascinating, it's a great place to base for land travel, the snorkeling on the offshore islands is spectacular, there are unlimited yacht services and you can spend years bouncing back and forth between Phuket and Langkawi as so many people do.

There is trouble in paradise though, as Mark points out above. The water inshore is brown and polluted. The pictures you see of white sand beaches don't show the 2 foot berm of plastic trash at the high tide line. You can't read the signs. Any place of natural beauty within 30 miles of Phuket will be overrun with speedboats loaded with Russian tourists or converted fishing boats loaded to the gunwhales with kayaks. The peace of your tranquil anchorage will be shattered by the constant traffic of un-muffled longtails passing by.

The point being, go to Thailand and enjoy, but take the scenic route and enjoy all the other destinations on the way. Please don't go by way of the Gulf of Aden.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 08:43   #23

I've been waiting for a thread like this.....the recent med vs carribean thread was interesting.

Personally, I could see getting bored in the Caribbean fairly easily....ya mon.

I do like SE Asia....food/culture etc, but the other previously mentioned issues give me pause.

I don't know anything about South Pacific destinations or sailing around OZ though am intrigued. Evidently the Cates' love it.
Old 20-02-2015, 08:55   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Asia vs Carribean as destination from Eu for lifestyle/liveBoard/Sailing???

Personally I'm happy with the Atlantic circle... gives good sailing.. as much variety to last a life time... and I don't have to deal with any visa crap... due to that.. not much interested in W of SMX.. leave that for any W-E deliveries... or to Oz again..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 19:28   #25

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Well my situation is this. Im 40. I've spent the past 5 years restoring a yacht and Im looking for somewhere borderline 3rd world Where I can sail and not be answerable to a system. Australia is no good. I was born there and It's too expensive and strict and limited. The Uk I've lived there for past 10 years. The Med and EU is same as Australia. Asia is the option I think via Carribean.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 17:30   #26

Quote:
Well my situation is this. Im 40. I've spent the past 5 years restoring a yacht and Im looking for somewhere borderline 3rd world Where I can sail and not be answerable to a system. Australia is no good. I was born there and It's too expensive and strict and limited. The Uk I've lived there for past 10 years. The Med and EU is same as Australia. Asia is the option I think via Carribean.
I'm surprised this thread died so fast...

Not much mention of the South Pacific either....Is this not an option for you?

Tags
Asia, destination, rib, sail, sailing